PDA

View Full Version : Led lights for 24" deep tank?

javi78503
02/09/2015, 03:32 AM
Hey all, new to the hobby. Need some advice on the best led lights for a 24" deep tank. Dont like the "blue" look so i think im looking for something along the 12,000k range. Thanks in advance!

i Tuna
02/09/2015, 05:20 AM
Hi Javi, and welcome to Reef Central.

There is no "best" LED, as the "best" is subjective to ones opinion and what drives it. Also, the strength of the LED would depend on what you plan on keeping within the aquarium.

In my experience, I've used an Ecotech Radion Gen I over a 24" cube and it covered the area well.

I've also used a Kessil A350 which seemed too narrow, so I added two A150w's to supplement.

As for color rendition, almost all LED's nowadays come with some way to control your individual LED's so you can add more or less blue, and possibly more options depending on which device you decide to go with.

My advice to you is to do your research on the brands of LED's out there. There is no quick way to make a decision as important as lighting, unless you're talking about a fish only aquarium. In which case just about any light will do to be honest, as long as it is aesthetically pleasing to your eye.

Cheers

billdogg
02/09/2015, 07:48 AM
I use it x AI Sol blues for my 120, just picked up a kessil a360w to use the n my "frag" tank. (And least that's what the wife thinks) it's a standard 120 also. Both brands are easily adjustable to get the color and intensity you need

javi78503
02/09/2015, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the great replies! I happened upon a website called buildmyled last night and am considering them. As far as the tank it will be a 80 gallon fish/coral tank 32 x 24 x 24. Im hoping i can do ok with one 30" led strip from them since from what i see/read most people have to turn them down due to how strong they are. Does anyone have any experience with them?

toothybugs
02/09/2015, 02:15 PM
They get a pretty good following for the custom options. Check out their forum under the Sponsors: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=718

Put in your request and you'll get some valid feedback.

beolson25
02/09/2015, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the great replies! I happened upon a website called buildmyled last night and am considering them. As far as the tank it will be a 80 gallon fish/coral tank 32 x 24 x 24. Im hoping i can do ok with one 30" led strip from them since from what i see/read most people have to turn them down due to how strong they are. Does anyone have any experience with them?

If you are interested in building your own ReefCentral has a DIY forum. Check out sites like RapidLED, ledgroupbuy, Ebay(greatly criticized and to be used with caution),

It takes some extra time to do yourself but you can save about 40% on any other type of fixture.

The other option is very cheap China LEDs. They are sufficient but don't have the umph that the CREE based LEDs have. You can find them on Ebay ... Look for EverGrow brand or taotronics, etc ... Usually 55 3w LED fixtures.

Lots and Lots of options but my favorite is DIY for the money savings and the final product. Good luck.

javi78503
02/09/2015, 05:26 PM
Thanks for all the great advice folks, i appreciate it. I'll definitely look into the DIY Led fixtures, but since I'm far from skilled or knowledgeable in electrical/lighting/wiring, it's quite an intimidating project tbh. Something to consider though.

I posted on the sponsor forum to being with, thanks for the tip, and we'll see what they reply.

Thanks again!

zooman72
02/09/2015, 05:34 PM

BML makes pretty good fixtures (I have had 2 on two different tanks), and the 20000K spectrum looks good to the eye with good color rendition (they offer other pre-made spectrums as well), but for a tank your size you would need a pair of the 24" or 30" fixtures (I would go with two of the 30"s).

javi78503
02/10/2015, 04:40 PM
Thanks, thats what i think i am going to go with 2 of the 30" 20k mc's they offer. buying one to start with and working my way up to the second after a few months since i won't be buying corals for the first few months.

hart24601
02/10/2015, 04:59 PM
Reefbreeders fixtures I use on my 24" deep tank. Been very happy with them. Plenty of power and both channels at max are around 12-15k. I use the value fixtures, but they have a nice 32" fixture with controller that would have no trouble at 24" deep. I like to think of them as 4 rows of strip lights since they span the entire distance.