PDA

View Full Version : Petco online??

KSU_WILDCAT
02/10/2015, 06:08 AM
With the Live Aquaria merger, is ordering from petco.com any better now. The reason why I ask is I can get some fish I want for almost half price. (Male and Female Blue Jaw Trigger) Although they are smaller on petco site, this may be to my liking, since they are going in a reef. I'll have a Qt set up and ready, TTM when they are ready but I'm a little scared to pull the "trigger". Anybody ordered from them lately?

Fogvalley
02/10/2015, 06:20 AM
Idk about this. But you in ks?

fizzlefish
02/10/2015, 07:45 AM
I was actually curious about this as well.

username in use
02/10/2015, 07:56 AM
The regular Live Aquaria site is shipping straight from the wholesaler warehouse, so it probably makes no difference. Now, the Divers Den section is a completely independent facility and there is no comparison to the Live Aquaria site.

KSU_WILDCAT
02/10/2015, 08:07 AM
Idk about this. But you in ks?

Yeah Wichita.

I think I might take a chance. I called them to ask about their warrenty and they required a picture of the dead fish within 15 days for a full refund. I have only used Liveaquaria for fish and have been spoiled with them.

BleuFish
02/10/2015, 09:55 AM
I ordered a 3 wrasses and corals from petco online recently. They ship their fish from Tropical Fish International and most of the corals from AandM Aquatics. I don't think it's the same fish supplier as Liveaquaria.

The corals came in and it was the best packaging I've seen. Had a thick styro box, plenty of water for 2 small frags, filled with packaging peanuts, and 5 heat packs. The water was still warm when it made it to so-cal. Also no pest came off when I dipped the corals in coral rx, bonus!

The fish on the other hand was the worst packaging job I've seen, maybe bc they only had to travel a few cities overnight since they're in so-cal. They cut out a fairly skinny styro and taped it to the inside of the box, with a few newspapers. But the box was too big, allowing the fish bags to slide over and flip inside the box. Plus the wrasses should have had more water in the bags.... The 3 wrasses came in, one was doa, another one had his bag break and leaked half the water. He died later that night. So down to one wrasse, called them emailed them pics of the fish and they sent me out two more wrasses free of charge, even shipping. This shipment made it and after a few days I got all three eating nls pellets in my QT right now.

On their site it says 30 day guarantee so not sure why they said 15? All and all it was decent and if they would improve their fish packaging and make their site easier from switching to the fish selection to the corals, I would say they would be contenders.

PhaneSoul
02/10/2015, 10:01 AM
shipping is half the battle, I don't see why any company would let their employees (or processes if that's the problem) skimp on the deal, even for a short half day trip. they don't know who is handling these things in between. not to mention most ups/fedex/us mail employees probably don't care

BleuFish
02/10/2015, 10:06 AM
Yeah they definitely should improve their fish packaging skills. Forgot to add they use UPS over night deliver before 10:30 am shipping.

alton
02/10/2015, 11:27 AM
I received a Purple Tang from them and it was fine

3FordFamily
02/10/2015, 12:10 PM
Honestly, Petco has been improving the quality of their online shipments. I used to order from them back in the day and their fish were half DOA, the other emaciated and diseased.

I have ordered probably 15 fish from them in the past few months, and only one was horrible. They sent me a PBT that was skinny as heck and very unhealthy. He didn't make it 24 hours. They did credit me a refund though. I have ordered other tangs, a magnificent foxface, emperor angel, queen angel, and red coris wrasse that I was very impressed with, surprisingly.

I have also found that Live Aquaria has been shipping me skinny tangs, like petco did. Not quite in as bad of shape, but a tang with a sunken stomach on delivery has a 50/50 shot, IMO. They did this to me. I have probably purchased 20 fish from them since November for my various tanks. They had to replace most of the skinny tangs. I also find that live aquaria doesn't do well with angels, particularly dwarf angels. Couldn't keep any flames alive from there, or potters. I have no trouble keeping potters or flames from other vendors.

Bilk
02/10/2015, 12:36 PM
Petco has some pretty good deals on salt and if you use the automatic replenishment/repeat delivery feature, you get further discounts. Kind of nice that salt shows up automatically when needed :) The online prices are already better than inshore prices.