PDA

View Full Version : Denitrator vs Zeovit

chasingfisher
02/11/2015, 11:18 AM
Hey all,

So i am in the process of purchasing a new 200+gal Reef Savvy and am putting my thoughts down for my sump and would love some input. I want to leverage as much as possible to automate my filtration system as i can. What are your thoughts on going with a denitrator like the nature reef compared to the zeovit system with a auto reactor...Would love input on everything from maintenance, costs, success rate, risks, etc...

let me know what you think!!

ganjero
02/11/2015, 11:37 AM
You are comparing what could be considered a piece of the "system" (denitrator) against the entire "system"(zeovit).

As a general idea Zeovit is not a "filtration system", it is an entire approach to run reef tanks which is based on a low nutrient system and supplementing a lot. It is no just a way to lower your nutrients. Zeovit requires a lot of dedication and it is costly (IMO).

Denitrators work and help you control nutrients but should not be used as a replacement for water changes. They also lower your alkalinity and you need to monitor this. In rare cases you can get harmful accumulation of Hydrogen Sulfide, but this can be prevented. IME there are safer and easier ways to keep nutrients low.

chasingfisher
02/11/2015, 11:51 AM
Thanks Ganjero, I only ask as I do travel for days at a time and have heard good things about both. If you have other suggestions I am all ears! I had a refuge on my old tank but it ended up not working very well...

ganjero
02/11/2015, 12:25 PM
A good skimmer and automated water changes would be a good place to start...Zeovit can be automated too if you like that approach, but in a tank that size it would be costly to run zeovit.

lawdog
02/11/2015, 12:37 PM
My denitrator was the single best piece of equipment purchase i made for my 200 gallon system. Set it and forget it... pristine water conditions... still do small water changes but it rocks for keeping sensitive creatures like SPS and Magnifica Ritteri Anemones...

chasingfisher
02/11/2015, 04:36 PM
Hey Lawdog,

can you give me any additional info about your denitrator? any issues with it? Where did you get yours? any additional info would be amazing!

thank you so much!

Chase

gdwats
03/04/2015, 04:06 PM
My denitrator was the single best piece of equipment purchase i made for my 200 gallon system. Set it and forget it... pristine water conditions... still do small water changes but it rocks for keeping sensitive creatures like SPS and Magnifica Ritteri Anemones...

Is your denitrater simply a reactor with Zeolite in it?

lawdog
03/04/2015, 06:28 PM
I have the Korrallin BioDenitrator S-4002 it uses the sulfur medium topped with a calcium carbonate medium. Setting it up and run it off a mj1200 and just control the output flow. Takes about 1-2 weeks to slowly build up the bacteria in the medium. You start by running a trickle and then when you smell that rotten egg smell you increase the flow till its gone and keep doing that ever couple days till you get a steady stream of output... It has been set and forget.

I was lucky and got mine off a vendor who went out of business as I would never have bought the 4002 size its way overkill on my 200 DD tank but it works like a champ and I have not a trace of nitrates. I have used every test out there and double triple checked... I now check once in a blue moon but my Magnifica Riterri Anemone lets me know if I have any detectable trates!

I got it to keep the Mag but everything has flourished with in on my system.

lawdog
03/04/2015, 06:30 PM
Marine Depot sells the Korrallin Denitrators if your looking. I would keep an eye out in the classifieds as well. I got mine for a fraction of the cost new.

AZRippster
03/04/2015, 06:47 PM
Most calcium reactors can be converted to a denitrator. I'm with lawdog, they are fantastic. After I setup my 450G this past October, I was battling nitrate constantly. I decided in December I was going to give the denitrator approach a shot. It has been nothing short of fantastic. I now consistently test at zero, although I know there is some in there and I'm actually thankful for the little I have. I used an extra AquaC RX-1 calcium reactor to make mine. That along with 99.9% pure elemental prills (off ebay) and Seachem Matrix, it took a couple months to hit zero, but it's been rock solid since.