PDA

View Full Version : Sugguestions on my Sump

sealtea116
02/11/2015, 12:22 PM
I just finished setting up my sump/refug and im looking to see if anyone has any sugguestions? It is a three chamber the side on the right is where my overflow comes into sump from DT goes into the refuge and then the last chamber on the left is my return/skimmer i Know it isnt ideal to have skimmer with return but that is the way the sump is i got it from my friend so was really cheap next to nothing really but anyway look forward to some feedback Thanks

sealtea116
02/11/2015, 12:27 PM
Because my skimmer is in the last chamber should i take the return line and extend the hose and snake it to the refuge or to where the overflow comes in?

tzylak
02/11/2015, 12:45 PM
Interesting setup. NICE!!
The sump can be as much a project as the TD.
With a 50g TD I had a 10g sump. Now the sump is 25g, with DSB and, as of Monday, a Chaeto farm. The sock, GAC, heaters, and skimmer are on one half, Chaeto and return pumps & screens are on the other.
I think that it's time for a new video since this one is from Xmas:
www.dropbox.com/s/4rzehzt3k3e8tds/150208%20Aquarium.wmv?dl=0
In time, I'm sure you'll come up with more improvements. . . .
Have FUN!!

sealtea116
02/11/2015, 12:49 PM
Thats a nice setup i love the space under the stair that is awesome use of space

djtuzik
02/11/2015, 12:49 PM
I just setup my tank, so don't have years of experience.

I have heard ball valves on return lines = asking for a flood.
How big is your display? is your heater big enough?

I would entertain the idea of putting the drain into the skimmer area, and putting the return pump where the drain is.

morleyz
02/11/2015, 12:52 PM
I think it would be best to have your skimmer outlet into there return section. Skimmers have a tendency to put out a lot of micro-bubbles that will get pushed right into the DT if you don't run them through some type of bubble trap.

tzylak
02/11/2015, 12:54 PM
BTW, nice skimmer. . . .
It does NOT have to sit inside your sump. If you notice, mine is out back.
Mine has a nipple on the collection cup. I plugged a tube into that nipple and now it drains into a 2g plastic jar. -I can leave it for a month W/O attendance. . . . Although I admire my creation on daily basis :-).

sealtea116
02/11/2015, 12:54 PM
i have a check valve right under the u-tube that goes into the tanks so it if reverse siphon it will stop at the valve and the drain sections is only about 2 inchs big so the return pump wouldnt fit i would love the skimmer there first but not the way the sump was made and i have a 29 gallon tanks

sealtea116
02/11/2015, 12:56 PM
BTW, nice skimmer. . . .
It does NOT have to sit inside your sump. If you notice, mine is out back.
Mine has a nipple on the collection cup. I plugged a tube into that nipple and now it drains into a 2g plastic jar. -I can leave it for a month W/O attendance. . . . Although I admire my creation on daily basis :-).

mine does as will i have a tube going into a gallon milk container

sealtea116
02/11/2015, 12:57 PM
I think it would be best to have your skimmer outlet into there return section. Skimmers have a tendency to put out a lot of micro-bubbles that will get pushed right into the DT if you don't run them through some type of bubble trap.

so Jeff your saying the line that has the clean water coming from the skimmer should go into the overflow section because of micro bubbles

morleyz
02/11/2015, 01:01 PM
That's what I would do. It could go into the fuge area too, but I'd rather not fill my fuge with bubbles either.

sealtea116
02/11/2015, 01:08 PM
ok thanks jeff anyone else have any thoughts

sealtea116
02/11/2015, 06:02 PM
Should I put rubble rock in the return section as well

JammyBirch
02/11/2015, 06:19 PM
If this was my sump I'd run an external return pump. Your drain should feed the skimmer chamber, to remove as much solids in the water column as it can. Then run to the fuge, you really don't want the drain water to hit the fuge first, it will settle in the fuge and rot causing problems. You could throw a dedicated CUC in there to help with that though. Then from the fuge run to the DT. Because your right most chamber is so small I'd run an external pump rather than a submersible.

This sump is really cool, I'd run the water from left to right because the skimmer won't fit in the right most compartment.

This looks like acrylic, is it? If it's glass cut out the baffles on the right and move them towards the fuge, then the skimmer will fit and all will work great.

sealtea116
02/11/2015, 07:38 PM
Yea it is acrylic and I just bought the pump I wish I would have posted first and then would of had a external pump I have been doing a lot of research and watching a lot of video and I have seen any with external pump most have internal so that's why I went that way I would have love to build my own sump but do to the space under the sand I would only be able to hold a 20 gallon tall tank so I got this from a friend for dirt cheap but that's for the advise maybe down the line I can upgrade to an external how do people feel about rubble in the return section