PDA

View Full Version : Does Cheato Need Refu?

coffee_snob
02/11/2015, 12:48 PM
I'm preparing a new 40g acrylic sump for new 135g DT.

Gonna add baffle for return/ATO efficiency. Is there any reason cheato has to be in a separate refu/section? Can't I just throw it in the drain, socks, skimmer, reactor side?

LittleBeard
02/11/2015, 12:53 PM
There is a good chance that the skimmer will suck up the chaeto. Also if you have any microbubbles from any of that equipment, they'll eventually float the chaeto out of the water and cause it to die.

Chaeto needs light as well, might not fit with all that equipment there....

sealtea116
02/11/2015, 01:01 PM
chaeto will best grow in the refuge it has to have light and will grow pretty fast under the right conditions and it needs a constant flow of water if it is in the return it really would have a flow and light to grow

coffee_snob
02/11/2015, 01:33 PM
I understand it needs light. It is growing like a weed now, and I would continue using the same light on it.

I guess I still don't understand why it cant sit in the same space with everything else as long as I don't let it grow into skimmer.

Does it need a stronger "current" that a baffle before it would create?

tzylak
02/11/2015, 01:53 PM
IMO it needs flow, even if the 'flow' is an inch/minute. It needs light.
I have mine floating next to the power heads, with an egg-crate and a mosquito screen to hold it back . . .

murdock84
02/11/2015, 08:20 PM
Mine does not spin like others but grows in my slow flow refugium.

rfgonzo
02/11/2015, 08:58 PM
If you do put it in your skimmer section one way to keep it from entering your skimmer is making a egg crate basket that float at the top and put your cheato inside of it. This will also keep it up high in the water under direct light and still have good flow.

coffee_snob
02/12/2015, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I guess I will go a head and add baffle between drain/equipment and refu area.