PDA

View Full Version : Question about Royal Blue Lighting Inensity @ Night

whatnot45
02/11/2015, 05:20 PM
I have a pair of 165dm p+ lights from reef radiance. As it is the default settings are for 100% intensity on the royal blue color lighting at night.

is that good for my corals? I know that corals need a dark period in order to properly complete the night phase of photosynthesis. The dark blue lights are extremely bright though. Do I need to adjust my settings to turn them down at night so they aren't so intense or does it not matter how intense the light is at that end of the spectrum?

Thanks for any info.

Oh and my tank is 60 gallons so the 2 Reef Radiance lights are pretty intense :)

Ben_1313
02/11/2015, 05:28 PM
I might be going against the grain here but I use red LEDs for my moonlighting. My reasoning is that red light gets filtered out at really shallow depths so at least some of my corals can't "see" the red light at night.

We use blue to grow corals so, in my mind at least, as little blue as possible should be used at night. Probably going to get flamed for my reasoning but I just wanted to share my opinion on moon lighting.

That being said you want your blue moonlights to be as dim as possible with there being an absolute dark period if possible.

Steve Atkins
02/11/2015, 06:10 PM
If you run at low intensity you should still be able to see into the tank but the intensity will be too low to provide any energy to the corals, so it wont matter what colour you use.

I was experimenting with this myself last night and even with the blues at 2% and the whites at 1% I could still see into the tank pretty well.

Steve