PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into things...75g setup. Have a few ?

RustNeverSleeps
02/12/2015, 10:09 AM
Hello folks just found this wonderful place. I will try to keep this short and to the point. A long time ago I had a 40g saltwater setup with a 20g long sump/refuge. it's been about ten years since I have done anything with salt. At the time I had around 40lbs of live rock with a deep sand bed. I live about 200ft from the ocean so I always used fresh seawater for water changes. in my refuge I had live sand,live rock,some rock weed and some local mussels. The tank was up and running beautifully for 5 years but a new job left me with little time to care for it. so I had to break it all down. now lets skip 10 years ahead. finally have plenty of time to commit to this hobby again. and recently have been adding to my new build of a 75G. and reading and taking in as much info as I can.

So far I have the following:
75G tank
reef octopus classic 150int skimmer
eheim 1262 pump
life reef overflow
grounding probe
heaters

I plan to build a 40G sump/refuge. I don't want a heavy stocked reef, but would like to have around 75lbs of live rock,deep sand bed, a few basic corals like mushrooms, bubble coral,hammer coral,elegance coral,etc. some cool zoanthids/polyps and I really want to have two fuzzy dwarf lion fish, 1 red and 1 yellow. and maybe clam or two if possible

Ok a few questions.

1. Can I still setup my refuge like I had years ago? live sand,live rock,rock weed and some local mussels? I will have a small led over refuge

2. Looking at purchasing LED lighting. interested in thoughts on the
Current USA Orbit Marine LED Saltwater Reef Lighting System? would 1 or 2 of the 48-60" strip lights be good for this setup?

3. I used fresh seawater from out front of my house is this practice ok? I bring it to temp before using. I live on the coast in Maine

If anyone has any thoughts,comments or suggestions I would love to hear them. I plan to have everything I need for setup date around mid april when all the snow/ice is gone here.

Thank you for any help

Clownfish Chris
02/12/2015, 10:21 AM
I would recommend against the DSB. They are so finicky and others have had horrible experiences with them. Sea water is good if you run it through a UV sterilizer and measure salinity first.

Look up Paul B. He has alot of success with this kind of thing.

RustNeverSleeps
02/12/2015, 10:29 AM
DSB= deep sand bed? I was thinking about 4-4.5 inches of sand? no good? I will look up paul b. thank you

Mhay
02/12/2015, 01:36 PM
following in regards to question 2

DragRacinGramps
02/12/2015, 01:54 PM
I'll respond to question 2. I use a current orbit marine on my 75g mixed reef, but only as a supplement, to my 4 bulb t5 HO fixture, it gives me the great shimmer in the tank. The current is no way enough to support a 75 gallon reef system alone, really it's only like 46 watts, I don't even think two of them would do it. That being said if you can hang on for a few weeks they are going to bring out the current usa marine orbit pro, which will be a whole new model and rumor has it will be able to support a reef system. I contacted them a couple of weeks ago asking for pricing and specs but they answered back and in very timely manner too that they could not give me that info but that they would be making that unit available to the public around the end of February.

KU Ned
02/13/2015, 11:01 AM
Good news on the new Orbit Marine Pro! I asked the same question in December and was told early Spring. I have been holding off changing over to LED until this light is introduced.

RustNeverSleeps
02/14/2015, 07:29 AM
Great thanks for the info on the new orbit marine pro. I'm in no rush, so I will def. wait and check it out.

KU Ned
02/19/2015, 04:52 PM
Just sent another request to Current about the new light. They said "early spring" again...

RustNeverSleeps
03/04/2015, 12:13 PM
anyone know what the prices will be for the new marine pro?