PDA

View Full Version : Sentinal for red bugs

bigbuckdown
02/12/2015, 12:00 PM
I have a 200 total water volume system. I just got a 23mg pill of sentinal. What's the dosage for this pill?

bigbuckdown
02/12/2015, 04:37 PM
Anyone? I want to do this tonight

Bilk
02/12/2015, 05:39 PM
My system has about the same volume. I dosed 1.5 - 1.75 pills (didn't break up quite evenly so that's an estimate) No ill effects except lost most of my crabs.

You'll need to be around the tank tomorrow if you're doing it tonight. Have plenty of fresh mixed water on hand as your skimmer will go crazy when you turn it back on. I actually liked the automatic wet skim water change (about 4 gallons before the skimmer settled down).

Oh remove the flavor coating if you have the tablets. Pulverize it and add to some warmed tank water. Then toss it in.

bigbuckdown
02/12/2015, 05:59 PM
Wow that much huh. I thought 1 pill did 350 gallons?

Bilk
02/12/2015, 06:02 PM
Wow that much huh. I thought 1 pill did 350 gallons?

I read a lot of conflicting info. Some dosed less and some more. Nothing but the red bugs and crabs were effected. You should be fine with one tablet.

bigbuckdown
02/13/2015, 12:57 PM
How long before the bugs supposed to die off? I just dosed at 12pm est and it's now 2 and still see them moving about

Bilk
02/13/2015, 02:02 PM
How long before the bugs supposed to die off? I just dosed at 12pm est and it's now 2 and still see them moving about

It needs to run at least 12hrs before a water change, adding GAC and returning the skimmer to service.

bigbuckdown
02/13/2015, 02:03 PM
Ok cause now 3 hours in and they are playing hop scotch still on my acros

Bilk
02/13/2015, 02:09 PM
Ok cause now 3 hours in and they are playing hop scotch still on my acros

Well after reading a few posts that claimed it is difficult to overdose, I elected to use more. I haven't seen any since dosing.

Give it some time. Maybe they'll get tired and die. :uzi:

bigbuckdown
02/13/2015, 04:35 PM
5 1/2 hours still moving around :(

bigbuckdown
02/13/2015, 09:05 PM
10 hours still dancing

bigbuckdown
02/13/2015, 11:20 PM
12 hours doing a water change now. Still red bugs moving. Next week inteceptor spectrum

Jettareefer
02/14/2015, 01:22 AM
I've treated my tanks for 16 hrs before doing a water change no I'll effects.

bigbuckdown
02/14/2015, 01:29 AM
Water change and new carbon put in. I can't turn the skimmer on yet. Lights been out for a hour and just put a flashlight on to look for pods and not one in site yet red bugs still alive and kicking

sahin
02/14/2015, 04:36 AM
12 hours doing a water change now. Still red bugs moving. Next week interceptor spectrum

I dosed Interceptor Spectrum and within a few hours (3-4) all Redbugs were dead. I dosed about 1.5 times dosage though as I have a small tank and each large pill lasts me ages.

I did get a big increase in algae after the dosing.

For new frags I dosed about 3 times the amount in a small QT tank. No Redbug is getting through that.

If the pill was old maybe active ingredient breaks down losing its effectiveness.

bigbuckdown
02/14/2015, 09:55 AM
No it was a new pill from the vet

Bilk
02/14/2015, 11:06 AM
You know I read your OP incorrectly. Not sure why I read Sentinal as Spectrum. Sorry about that. :sad1:

I used Spectrum large dog tablets. The tablets I used only have milbemycin oxime and lufenuron as active ingredients. I believe there are tablets that also include praziquantel. Here's the link to my post about using it. I should have posted this earlier.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2477932

The Spectrum worked perfectly. I probably should do another dose, but 2 weeks and still no sign of them. Like everyone here, I constantly keep a watch for signs of pests. The initial treatment wiped them out, but I'd rather get a natural predator for these pests.

I purchased a Muelleri's Butterfly to deal with aptasia and I'm looking to pick up a wrasse or two, to deal with bugs and other pests. I don't have any aptasia in the display - at least none that I can see, but I do have them in the overflow. I placed a small rock over the aptasia so the would attach to the rock. After a few days they did just that, so I put it in the tank. The butterfly gobbled them up in less than 3 seconds. So there are natural predators out there to help with these pests. Just have to find the ones that work.

Hope you get those little red buggers dead :blown:

bigbuckdown
02/15/2015, 09:38 PM
Noticed yesterday about 5pm no red bugs left. Guess it took a lot longer to kill off but still no sign of red bugs. I guess the sentinal worked at that dose just took a really long time. Even after a 50 gallon water change and new rox carbon the meds still were working. Was just able to turn on my skimmer about 4 hours ago