PDA

View Full Version : Switching from mh to t5 u think be beneficial for sps?

BrentH
02/12/2015, 08:06 PM
I'm running 6 radium 3 400 3 250 on a 500 gallon I've always admired tanks and the way t5 look exp... Ati my question is u guys think it would be a wate of time or not be better? Also my electric bill is crazy I'm curious if the t5 would help that as well ....I basically asking if it would be pointless or a noticeable better change?

Guygettnby
02/12/2015, 08:35 PM
Why not look in to LED's? Would help your electric bill and save on the cost of bulb replacement.

On the other hand, if that was the way you wanted to go, I love a MH/T5 combo. Gives the best of both worlds IMHO. I did however make the switch to LED's and am happy I did.

BrentH
02/12/2015, 08:45 PM
ive tried led but didn't really care for them as far as color on my sps

BrentH
02/12/2015, 08:46 PM
But my Edison bill is 1500 a month I do have a lot of tanks but still it hurts Im not really asking or trying to get my bill lower just wondering if it would be a perk with switching to t5 a lot of tanks that I admire are t5

cugly
02/12/2015, 08:54 PM
I think they both look great you should do the ati hybrid..the color combinations makes a big difference with the looks..

kevin_e
02/12/2015, 09:25 PM
I'm not sure you would save money and I doubt your coral would do *better* under T5 compared to 1800 watts of halide.

What are your dimensions? Sounds like you would need a lot of tubes.

billyzbear
02/12/2015, 10:16 PM
I have had them all. I liked mh, I did have a problem finding the right one for the color I like. I added t5 to supplement. 400w mh was getting costly. Setup new tank with all t5, eight bulbs. Loved it. You can mix and match colors to really dial it in. When leds came out, I really liked the royal blue color. I switched half of the t5's out and went with 50/50 t5 and RB leds. It looked good. I was happy but the leds could not compete with the t5's. You need to have reflectors or optics for leds. I switched to some more leds and only two t5's about a year ago. Not digging it. Next week I'm going with 5 rows of RB and NW leds, their on c channels and 4 t5 bulbs.
You did not mention why you have 3 400w and 3 250w.
If you are planning on keeping sps with t5 you'll need 6-10 bulbs. If you have a 6ft tank then use the 5ft bulbs.

jackson6745
02/12/2015, 10:18 PM
The only way I would think the switch from halide to t5 would benefit the tank is if there is dense coral growth and a lot of shadowing. Nothing penetrates dense coral growth like t5.
But you would need a load of t5 over a 500g. Not sure how efficient that will be. As for
LED, you'll need a ton of t5's anyway to eliminate shadows. Not worth it.

BrentH
02/12/2015, 11:18 PM
My tanks 8 feet long 4 foot wide and 2' high so I would need 3 or 4 48" 8 bulb units ..... I have the 400 watters in the front and the 250's towards the back were there not enough lights dobro the tank being so wide might be a bit over kill. BIt my tanks lit well

billyzbear
02/12/2015, 11:59 PM
8 bulbs for 2ft wide is good. You would need atleast 6. They don't have to be 4ft long, 3 feet long will work. The ATI fixtures are nice. You see t5 units around a lot. The growers use them and a lot of reefers are selling them to get leds. Each bulb must have it's own reflector and you want the end caps to be sealed. If you have a canopy you can get retros, which is the ballast, sealed end caps and reflectors. Just mount end caps inside and wire them up. A cheaper route than fixtures. You can buy the pieces seperately.
The very best thing about t5 is you can change a bulb to get the color you want. Less heat and electic then mh. But you need to change more bulbs.
That's the reason I switched to leds but now it's going to be half and half.
Where in socal are you?
Sounds like a massive tank, pics?
You must have some shaded areas with only 3 mh across 8 ft.

billyzbear
02/13/2015, 12:01 AM
Sorry, to answer your question right. You would need 6-8 bulbs per 2 feet wide so four units either 3 feet long or 4.

BrentH
02/13/2015, 01:07 AM
I have 6 mh bulbs on the setup not much shade .... Thanks for your reply in very tempted to do it my tanks doing well but I do torch some corals sometimes it seems like and yes I have a canopy kinda tanks built into wall and a room divider but the tops covered in in Covina

BrentH
02/13/2015, 01:08 AM
I post pics when lights come on tomorrow

Moser
02/13/2015, 01:13 AM
My tank is 6ftx8ftx3ft.

I was running Giesemann Spectra 6ft units. 9x400W Radiums. 12x80W Blue T5.

I switched to 4x4ft and 2x3ft ATI Hybrids.
My electricity bill has dropped to half. Tank temp from 26.4C to 25.2C.

The PAR is way higher- believe it or not, I bleached my lps on the sandbed with 50:50 blue + and coral+.

I was told I couldn't run t5 on a 36" tall tank... WRONG!.

I am running the led on rb/b at 30% and T5 at 80%!.

I am slowly changing out the coral plus to actinic to reduce the par and increase the pop!.
I will slowly ramp back up to 100% t5.

The ATI Hybrid is a par monster!!. You can't go wrong with it!.

Mo

ZON
02/13/2015, 01:56 AM
my tank is 6ftx8ftx3ft.

I was running giesemann spectra 6ft units. 9x400w radiums. 12x80w blue t5.

I switched to 4x4ft and 2x3ft ati hybrids.
My electricity bill has dropped to half. Tank temp from 26.4c to 25.2c.

The par is way higher- believe it or not, i bleached my lps on the sandbed with 50:50 blue + and coral+.

I was told i couldn't run t5 on a 36" tall tank... Wrong!.

I am running the led on rb/b at 30% and t5 at 80%!.

I am slowly changing out the coral plus to actinic to reduce the par and increase the pop!.

The ati hybrid is a par monster!!. You can't go wrong with it!.

Mo

+1 ...

toothman
02/13/2015, 04:53 AM
so halides about 2000 watts-12 cents kw-25 cents/hr. 6 hrs a day= $45 a month for halides. + your other bulbs. possibly chiller cost, in my tank it doesn't run in winter and barely in summer.

billyzbear
02/13/2015, 05:21 AM
I got it now. Do you like the 250w? You could keep them in the middle and have t5 along the sides. Doesn't really make since to keep 400w as they use alot of electricity.
The ati hybrid cost alot. The program that comes with them looks really cool.
Kessils with t5's would be a good alternative.

kevin_e
02/13/2015, 10:45 AM
Nothing penetrates dense coral growth like t5.

Is that true?

BrentH
02/13/2015, 01:36 PM
My tank is 6ftx8ftx3ft.

I was running Giesemann Spectra 6ft units. 9x400W Radiums. 12x80W Blue T5.

I switched to 4x4ft and 2x3ft ATI Hybrids.
My electricity bill has dropped to half. Tank temp from 26.4C to 25.2C.

The PAR is way higher- believe it or not, I bleached my lps on the sandbed with 50:50 blue + and coral+.

I was told I couldn't run t5 on a 36" tall tank... WRONG!.

I am running the led on rb/b at 30% and T5 at 80%!.

The ATI Hybrid is a par monster!!. You can't go wrong with it!.

Mo
thanks for the replys
so your running 6 ati fixtures 4 48' and 2 36'ati hybrids? damn im so tempted i mean my tanks doing great but i do have some corals with shaded areas were its turned white on the underneath side and your power bill went to half hmmm?

mo can i get a pic for a visual on your lighting? when u get a chance i was figureing i needed 4x48" ran front to back suspended curious how u have yours set up

BrentH
02/13/2015, 01:57 PM
Also u have the unit with built in timers ect are they user friendly?

Moser
02/13/2015, 02:43 PM
Is that true?

Yes

Mo

Moser
02/13/2015, 02:46 PM
Central Giesemann removed….

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa351/m_a_majid/TankThread1388_zps9f8f5303.jpg

Moser
02/13/2015, 02:48 PM
6 units in total!!……

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa351/m_a_majid/TankThread1393_zps74b9aedd.jpg

Mo

Moser
02/13/2015, 02:54 PM
They are powerful lights!!!….. Testing, before power cables were tidied up!. :D

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa351/m_a_majid/TankThread1394_zps3faf9079.jpg

BrentH
02/13/2015, 04:44 PM
Wow thank you mo! Now I'm very inspired ! I might not be able to afford or do the hybrid maybe on 2 of then I'll keep u guys posted be a month at the most

Moser
02/13/2015, 06:08 PM
ATI T5's alone would do just fine too!.

Mo

BrentH
02/13/2015, 07:55 PM
Mo when u did the switch from mh to t5 how did your sps react?

jackson6745
02/13/2015, 08:27 PM
Is that true?

Yes it is. Understand thank I am not talking about light penetration in general, because a 400w halide would show higher par further from the source. I am speaking of the complete coverage that a t5 can provide. There are no shadows and every inch of coral get illuminated. This is most apprent with corals that have a clustered growth pattern, and grown out reefs with dense growth in general.

kevin_e
02/13/2015, 09:47 PM
Are there studies done to suggest that?

kevin_e
02/13/2015, 09:48 PM
Yes

Mo

Care to provide some substance? Too much misinformation is based around on this hobby as fact.

kevin_e
02/13/2015, 09:51 PM
thanks for the replys
so your running 6 ati fixtures 4 48' and 2 36'ati hybrids? damn im so tempted i mean my tanks doing great but i do have some corals with shaded areas were its turned white on the underneath side and your power bill went to half hmmm?

mo can i get a pic for a visual on your lighting? when u get a chance i was figureing i needed 4x48" ran front to back suspended curious how u have yours set up

If your tank is doing well, why change? I've made this mistake more than once. What may work for one person, may not work for another. Halides are the bees knees changing from them because of power concern is one thing, changing from them to improve lighting is another.

Personally, I love T-5s, I think they are a great light source with great color options. However, What you have (000 watts of radium halide) can't be improved.

jackson6745
02/13/2015, 10:57 PM

Don't know.
If you spend some time in a tank with par meter, you will see the uniform par spread across the tank and each coral using t5. I am not for halide, or t5, I am for both. I run a 400w radium on a 32" cube. If I don't run t5's in addition you can see the par drop off more steeply away from the halide hotspot. You also notice more shadows on corals and between branches. IMO/IME the t5 helps illuminate the coral fully and increases its health. Just because my experience hasn't been confirmed by a study, doesn't exactly make it misinformation. I do understand your concern though.

BrentH
02/14/2015, 12:01 AM
Here's a cell phone pic tank is 4' wide

BrentH
02/14/2015, 12:01 AM
Another

BrentH
02/14/2015, 12:04 AM
One more I have one of the covers off so u guys can see my lighting incase anyone's wondering also I will admit im very messy with my wireing and not very organized unlike a lot of you guys :)

Moser
02/14/2015, 06:06 AM
Mo when u did the switch from mh to t5 how did your sps react?

I switched in October. I bleached a few LPS, but SPS were fine.
I think it was more the LED setting.

It's a great light. You would do well with either the hybrid, or even the Sunpower T5 if you wanted to keep costs down.
The Hybrid adds a beautiful royal blue/ violet shimmer though!!.

Mo

Moser
02/14/2015, 06:11 AM
Care to provide some substance? Too much misinformation is based around on this hobby as fact.

Exactly!, care to show us your facts and not baseless opinion?!.

My opinion is based on my 1000Gal SPS system. I was always told SPS wouldn't grow with T5 over 30" and even that would be a struggle, so I never tried!.

I ran 400W Radium for 4 years and just switched to ATI T5 Hybrids, thinking that the LED would help me punch down…..

Even with 9x400W radiums, I could see SPS colours vary due to proximity to the bulbs. i.e. relatively shaded areas are less intense in colour.

With T5, the colour is more uniform and the growth pattern doesn't follow the light source!. The coloration is more solid and even and penetrates between branches much better, because there is no point source!.

I don't even need the LED on a 36" tall tank!.

Whats your evidence of your opinion please, since you called me out!…….

Mo

Moser
02/14/2015, 06:12 AM

Who would want to do a study on it???… and who would consider publishing such a silly study?!. Its common sense.

Mo

Moser
02/14/2015, 06:25 AM
If your tank is doing well, why change? I've made this mistake more than once. What may work for one person, may not work for another. Halides are the bees knees changing from them because of power concern is one thing, changing from them to improve lighting is another.

Personally, I love T-5s, I think they are a great light source with great color options. However, What you have (000 watts of radium halide) can't be improved.

WRONG!
Radiums are beautiful, but they lack low end pop!. Thats why many used to add UVL super actinic.

With T5, you can mix and match. With a Hybrid, you add royal blue and violet, which Radiums cannot match.

You also get a completely even spread of light..

To say Radiums cannot be beaten, you have to have tried all of the rest to have that conclusion…. when did you try all of the rest?.
What was your opinion of the ATI Hybrid?.

Mo

Moser
02/14/2015, 10:02 AM
Yes it is. Understand thank I am not talking about light penetration in general, because a 400w halide would show higher par further from the source. I am speaking of the complete coverage that a t5 can provide. There are no shadows and every inch of coral get illuminated. This is most apprent with corals that have a clustered growth pattern, and grown out reefs with dense growth in general.

That depends on what you compare.
Over my tank, 9x400W Radium would be considered a lot of light, but wall to wall T5 puts out more PAR and if all the tubes were GE6500, there would be no contest!. So, it depends on what you compare.

Mo

jackson6745
02/14/2015, 10:21 AM
Mo, this is true. My experience using a par meter is with the sfiligoi and spectra units. The T5's absolutely suck compared to an ATI fixture. PAR is half of what an ATI future puts out. I actually do run 2 ge65k and 2blue plus to get more par. I know what properly driven t5's are capable of though.

On my 32" cube the SPS are really starting to fill out. Shadowing has been a problem, I am actually getting STN on shaded portions of coral. I don't lose the whole coral, just the shaded part will recede. I am seriously considering getting rid of the Giesemann spectra adding 10 or 12 tubes over the tank. If I can find a 10 bulb ati or maybe run 2x 6 bulb fixtures.

The thing that's holding me back is my colors. Most of my SPS color is spot on. I am afraid that if I go all t5, I will fade colors, or maybe lose some of the vividness that I get under the radium. What do you think?

kevensquint
02/14/2015, 11:08 AM
I use both 250 radium's and a set of 6 T5's. I can grow my sps with either/and/or. From my experience, best colors, growth comes from mainly T5's with a 3-4 hour dose of MH. I was doing the opposite and colors were not as deep. IMO, the lack of piercing intensity of the T5's help reduce the paleness of my colonies in my low nutrient tank. So in fact, this precise method may apply depending on your other variables like nutrients, Alk level etc..

Moser
02/14/2015, 11:17 AM
Mo, this is true. My experience using a par meter is with the sfiligoi and spectra units. The T5's absolutely suck compared to an ATI fixture. PAR is half of what an ATI future puts out. I actually do run 2 ge65k and 2blue plus to get more par. I know what properly driven t5's are capable of though.

On my 32" cube the SPS are really starting to fill out. Shadowing has been a problem, I am actually getting STN on shaded portions of coral. I don't lose the whole coral, just the shaded part will recede. I am seriously considering getting rid of the Giesemann spectra adding 10 or 12 tubes over the tank. If I can find a 10 bulb ati or maybe run 2x 6 bulb fixtures.

The thing that's holding me back is my colors. Most of my SPS color is spot on. I am afraid that if I go all t5, I will fade colors, or maybe lose some of the vividness that I get under the radium. What do you think?

Richard, your tank is sweet.

I am reluctant to say to anyone who is happy, to change anything. We always think we can do better, but the answer is that if your colours are good, don't change anything!.

If there is a problem, then it might be worth trying something different, but a major change to a system WILL de-stabilise it for a while.

That said, if the tank is generally running well, it will recover well and imo, colours with T5 can be tweaked to your taste and are better than any other light source. If you add the LED from the ATI Hybrid, you can't beat it.

The MH shimmer is slightly more natural though- you can't beat that!.

I am glad I switched my lights. I am VERY impressed with them.

Mo

Moser
02/14/2015, 11:20 AM
I use both 250 radium's and a set of 6 T5's. I can grow my sps with either/and/or. From my experience, best colors, growth comes from mainly T5's with a 3-4 hour dose of MH. I was doing the opposite and colors were not as deep. IMO, the lack of piercing intensity of the T5's help reduce the paleness of my colonies in my low nutrient tank. So in fact, this precise method may apply depending on your other variables like nutrients, Alk level etc..

+1

It's all a balance. If nutrients are low, T5 is the best.
If you need more PAR, add more White tubes.
BUT I only used blue + and Coral + and it was plenty. I'm now experimenting with actinic tubes.

It would be nice to hear from Joe Peck. He has experience with heavy amounts of actinic T5. The colour is so nice with them, I'm adding more and more…
mind you, I have 48 tubes over my tank, so I can chop and change. I was told that actinic T5 does nothing for a coral's biology- but it doesn't seem that way from what I am slowly seeing!.

Mo

BrentH
02/14/2015, 01:02 PM
I to have rtn on shaded spots .... As far as the ati 10 bulb unit I can't seem to find them anywhere online did they discontinue them or something? I agree that someone said that any major change like replacing all your lighting will have a negative impact for a little while till the tank stabilizes but I'm on the idea that this change will be better in the long run for power usage and the tank colors and coverage :) I need to figure out bulb combos now and all that also someone said they use atnic bulb to reduce par ? Do the actnic bulbs produce no par or less? Sorry guys for ally he questions I'm just excited about this upgrade Mo, this is true. My experience using a par meter is with the sfiligoi and spectra units. The T5's absolutely suck compared to an ATI fixture. PAR is half of what an ATI future puts out. I actually do run 2 ge65k and 2blue plus to get more par. I know what properly driven t5's are capable of though.

BrentH
02/14/2015, 01:11 PM
Sorry mo I just read what you posted about the actnics interesting I do have a 2 bulb retrofit t5 with ati actnis on one of my tanks and it does create awesome look

kevensquint
02/14/2015, 03:01 PM
Here is a pic with 8hrs/Day MH and 4hrs/day T5. I'm not at home so I can't post a pic now of the current opposite scheme of 8hrs T5 and 4hrs MH. But the colors are in fact a few notches deeper now.
http://rs95.pbsrc.com/albums/l137/kevenjase/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141231_1757402_zps07bab71f.jpg~320x480
Here is my DIY canopy that allows me plenty of flexibility.http://rs95.pbsrc.com/albums/l137/kevenjase/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141227_2332282_zpsb39a7318.jpg~320x480

BrentH
02/14/2015, 03:31 PM
Lookin good man!!!!

Moser
02/14/2015, 04:13 PM
Lovely tank, Kevin.
I can't remember if you posted your filtration etc previously?.
Really like it.

Do you run actinic T5?.

Brent, it was me that said I was removing some coral+ tubes to add actinic and get a little more pop / reduce par a little. I am running the T5 at 80%, but will increase to 100%.
There are conflicting opinions on the value of actinic T5….

Mo

kevensquint
02/14/2015, 04:18 PM
Mo, its a 75 peninsula BB with remote DSB in sump and skimmer. That's all. Actinics are useful, I tried 4 actinics out of 6 tubes and I got some bleaching on a few branches. Its not so much PAR, but PUR. The 420nm wavelength is a serious photosynthesis spectrum even if it looks dim to humans.
My best results are 2 URI actinics/2 blue +/1purple +/1 coral+

Moser
02/14/2015, 04:24 PM
Are the URI similar to ATI actinics?.

I was planning 3Actinic/ 3 blue+/ 1coral+ / 1 purple +.
Coming from Radiums with Blue plus tubes, you can see I like it blue!.
I will consider replacing 1 actinic if it is too much and possibly add a coral+ or a blue+ to get the right colour/ brightness in the tank...….

Mo

kevensquint
02/14/2015, 04:27 PM
I have a spectrometer and no they are not identical. I cannot say which is best tho. The UV's...(sorry I had vho in mind) seem to have more low NM wavelengths, but my corals enjoy ATI equally IME.
IME, you might want to try the look/results with one more coral + in place of one actinic or blue+

Moser
02/14/2015, 04:42 PM
I started with 50:50 coral+:Blue+.
Nice place to start, but was very bright….

I added a little bit of red from the purple+, which brought out some pinks.
The actinics made everything really pop, so I added one more. I'm at
3blue+, 2Actinic, 2coral+ and 1 purple+. I was thinking to try one more actinic, but maybe I'll stop if it does cause bleaching…. I need to adjust the LED's yet too!.

Mo

BrentH
02/15/2015, 12:00 AM
I'm going to buy that same bulb combo mo your stating .... I likenalptnof blue as Well I'm about to buy a few unitsand bulbs one last question? How come you didn't use the 60" fixture? I diesnt Seem like many people use them as much anything I hold know? And thanks again for helping me pull the trigger on this

jackson6745
02/15/2015, 12:32 AM
I to have rtn on shaded spots .... As far as the ati 10 bulb unit I can't seem to find them anywhere online did they discontinue them or something?

I believe they did discontinue them. I wish I could find a 36" 10 bulb unit.

Moser
02/15/2015, 02:33 AM
As far as I know, 10 tube power modules are available.
My LFS has a 24" 10 tube. Sunpower only go up to 8 tubes.

Hybrids are only available as 4 or 8 tube.
I looked at 60" units, but my tank is 72" across and I have acro's on both side walls, so I needed better coverage. I decided to mount units Front to back. I had 86-96" to cover due to internal weir boxes.

I could have used 60" and 24" on the sides and 60" and 36" in the middle, but that would have used 3 different lamp sizes, so I went for 36" and 48" units instead. I have two 48" units in the middle.

I have almost every inch covered!

Mo

BrentH
02/15/2015, 11:41 AM
It seems like most guys have the fixtures pretty close to the water how high is your off the surface ?

Moser
02/15/2015, 12:41 PM
About 8". I would ideally have it even higher, but the hanging wires drop it about 6".

If its T5 alone, then you can run it even 2 or 3" over the tank, but the LED needs to be higher.

Mo

billyzbear
02/15/2015, 03:20 PM
There are alot of bulbs to choose from some that haven't been mentioned.
GE daylight will bring out the yellows, high par too
geissman actinic plus is between blue plus and actinic
geissman azure is a new bulb between blue plus and coral plus more green
KZ cost more, thier blue is bluer than blue plus, purple has some nice actinic added, new gen 2 is a little bluer than coral plus
From my testing, too much true actinic caused some coral to color shift also some sps turned more green. Par meters don't really measure thier intensity. Two out of eight is plenty. I would not have them on by themselves. I think it adds to color shifting.

Moser
02/15/2015, 04:47 PM
They seem to colour shift in a nice direction with actinics.
What did you notice?.

Any bleaching?.

Thanks
Mo

BrentH
02/15/2015, 06:46 PM
I've assumed the t5 to be less aggressive then the mh... But from what your all saying not true ? And thanks for bulb info I was gonna copy mo bulb setup

billyzbear
02/15/2015, 08:48 PM
With 28 double 410uv led and usual 2 actinic plus t5 over my 150g a normally light orange chalice shifted to a light purple. Many zoa changed color and sps were shifting to a shade of green. This was over 6 months of use. No bleaching.
You should acclimate your coral to new light source.
Mo's blulb combo is good, sure. The beauty about t5 is if it's not blue enough take a coral plus out and put in a blue plus. It helps to not have like bulbs next to each other.

BrentH
02/15/2015, 09:53 PM
This may sound like a stupid question but do all bulbs except atnic produce pretty much same par?

jackson6745
02/16/2015, 07:33 AM
Brenth, PAR is different from bulb to bulb.

Anyone know where to get a 10 bulb dimmable ATI fixture?

BrentH
02/16/2015, 11:41 AM
I found a used 36" 10 bulb power module local to me non dimable? Craigslist

jackson6745
02/16/2015, 11:53 AM
I found a used 36" 10 bulb power module local to me non dimable? Craigslist

I sent ATI an email asking where to purchase the 10 bulb sunpower new. I found out that they never did make a 10 bulb dimmable fixture.

Moser
02/16/2015, 12:09 PM
I sent ATI an email asking where to purchase the 10 bulb sunpower new. I found out that they never did make a 10 bulb dimmable fixture.

My LFS, apparently has a dimmable 24" 10 tube ATI power module on their DT.
They don't have the onboard computer, but I don't know if he was just sent the non-dimmable one and he hasn't realised they never run it as a dimmable unit! :strooper:

The sun power only goes up to 8 tube- dimmable or non dimmable. They never made 10 bulb fixtures…. but you could do a 4and6 tube sun power, or 2x6bulb units!! and it might still even work out cheaper than a 10 tube power module!. :frog:

Mo

jackson6745
02/16/2015, 12:13 PM
FYI Samuel King got back to me from ATI and said that the 10 bulb power module has been discontinued a few years ago :(. Whatever is available in 10 bulbs is either old stock or used.

billyzbear
02/16/2015, 12:33 PM
Older post, couldn't find a newer list,
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1279308

This one has some good info on t5 by several big names,
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1013083
Sanjay never posts his findings but has on,
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/2/aafeature2
Sanjay has other articles on lighting...

stancfii
02/16/2015, 01:24 PM
Have you given thought, or do you have the ability, to transition lighting? I'd drop the 400ws and replace each one with ~300w of t5 (maybe a 8x39w). Relatively, I'm getting better growth, spread, temps, and coverage out of 4x39w than 250w MH on my 40br. The Radium/T5 combo would be great.

BrentH
02/16/2015, 04:06 PM
I ordered my first fixture I can afford 1 a week so be a few weeks till I have them all up I purchased the sunpowers 8x54 at 48" bulb combo I did 3 blue+ 3 coral+ 1 actnic1 purple plus I'll run the actnic and purple+ as the 2 that are individual I'm anxious to get the fixture to see how it fits and it will help me figure how many I will need and the positioning my tank has a big foot print

BrentH
02/16/2015, 04:08 PM
I'm a little worried to run the radiums and the ati fixture under same canopy won't the radiums produce to much heat I think it will hurt the ati fixture?

billyzbear
02/16/2015, 04:54 PM
I haven't seen your tank yet so don't know what color you like.
Order some extra bulbs, what you have is bright.
Aren't you planning on all t5?

BrentH
02/16/2015, 05:03 PM
Yes all t5 I like a lot of blue what would u change I posted pics of
My tank on his thread but with phone camera

BrentH
02/16/2015, 05:43 PM
I think I'll order another actnic on that thread about t5 par it does show that actnis produce some par but less then half

billyzbear
02/16/2015, 07:43 PM
Nice tank, I missed it but went back.
You'll need to play with the bulbs some to get what you want. I like the giessemann actinic plus. Ati blue plus is like meat and potatoes. Since you have one fixture coming you'll have sometime to get what you want. To start, 1 coral plus, 1 purple plus, 1-2 true actinic, 1-2 actinic plus and the rest blue plus. Seperate the coral plus and purple plus by atleast one blue plus. You may want some yellow, the GE or another white bulb.
I probably missed it, what bulbs do you have now?

billyzbear
02/16/2015, 09:59 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2448839&page=4
for inspiration
4 blue plus, 1 coral plus and 1 purple plus

sahin
02/17/2015, 02:04 AM
Richard if you are going for T5, get 2 x 6 tube Sunpower units. Either dimming or non dimming. If you want only 10 tubes then get 4 and a 6 tube units. An 8 tube unit with 2xReef brights on either side is more or less like a 10 tube unit.

FWIW, I wouldnt be worried about replacing so many tubes every 8 months...I replace my ATI tubes well into a full year. Scotty runs his T5 tubes like every 16 months or something...and his tank is a TOTM tank.

Thats IF you really wanted to switch from halides... ;)

gm3184
02/17/2015, 05:57 AM
Great thread I personally have T5/Halide combo on a 4ft deep tank and have great growth and coloration top to bottom!

ReefBum
02/17/2015, 06:13 AM
I have thought a lot about the ATI Hybrid but it looks like I am going to stick with a MH/T5 combo for my new tank since I have had a lot of success with it in the past.

BrentH
02/17/2015, 11:25 AM
I would love the hybrid also just hard to swallow 2k a piece needing 4 of them

Moser
02/17/2015, 05:53 PM
Pricey, but a nice piece of kit. It gives you shimmer, royal blue and violet LED ( which nothing can match), Great PAR, T5 variety and coral coloration and programmability.

Nothing wrong with MH/T5 though- apart from heat and electricity bill- they're tried and tested.

Mo

BrentH
02/17/2015, 06:09 PM
I'm picking up a used 10x36"power module to add to my growing collection

BrentH
02/17/2015, 08:52 PM
Got my fixture tonight and it's got me all pumped man there nice .....im going to put all the bulbs in and turn it on on one end of the tank to see what it looks like and how bright it will be I like the hanging kit how u can raise and lower it easily one handed:)

BrentH
02/17/2015, 08:54 PM
Would you guys avoid a used ati fixture or are the built to last the one I'm getting is three years old ?

billyzbear
02/17/2015, 11:15 PM
The fans wear out and the ballast can go bad.
3ft, try to get all the same. A three foot fixture will need to be higher than a four foot to cover the extra 6" on the sides.
Usually people have them mounted 3-5" above tank. To raise and lower I thoght a pulley system would be cool. It's doable but I haven't seen one.

BrentH
02/18/2015, 12:04 AM
Ok I was just going to ask if it's ok to mix 48" fixtures and 36" thanks I'll pass and put the money towards another 48" it's looking lie I'll need 4 to cover the tank properly u think running them front to back or side to side be better or make a difference?

billyzbear
02/18/2015, 02:17 AM
I would think side to side.
You can do some cool illusions of depth as you look into the tank. It would help if you angle the fixtures in an upside down "v" above the tank. Like a 20 or so degree angle but not mandatory.
You could hang with a hook in ceiling and a chain to fixture. When you want to move it up reposition chain on hook.

jackson6745
02/18/2015, 03:10 AM
Richard if you are going for T5, get 2 x 6 tube Sunpower units. Either dimming or non dimming. If you want only 10 tubes then get 4 and a 6 tube units. An 8 tube unit with 2xReef brights on either side is more or less like a 10 tube unit.

FWIW, I wouldnt be worried about replacing so many tubes every 8 months...I replace my ATI tubes well into a full year. Scotty runs his T5 tubes like every 16 months or something...and his tank is a TOTM tank.

Thats IF you really wanted to switch from halides... ;)

Don't really want to switch but I think the tank will benefit from the T5's. The growth is becoming dense. I even had to get silly with the flow :). Running 4 vortechs and a Grye 130 in there now. I really want to grow this tank into one blob of acro :twitch:

I'm picking up a used 10x36"power module to add to my growing collection

I might be getting one also. This is a dimmabe 10 bulb with analog controls. I think there is a way to dim it with the apex, but I barely know how to use my Apex :uhoh2:
Sorry for jumping in on your thread, but it got me thinking about the same switch :). Actually, once I get an idea in my head, I usually end up doing it. I'm sure there will be t5's over my tank soon.

Post some pics of the t5 when you get it over the tank. :)

BrentH
02/18/2015, 12:36 PM
No prob please jump in one thing I noticed with the t5 I put the fixture over the tank last night for a min is maybe not as bright as metal halides but u can see into the tAnk better and it does illuminate every inch it's over I'm excited for this I hope my across don't choke out on me there doing well but I feel can do a little betterQUOTE=jackson6745;23515329]Don't really want to switch but I think the tank will benefit from the T5's. The growth is becoming dense. I even had to get silly with the flow :). Running 4 vortechs and a Grye 130 in there now. I really want to grow this tank into one blob of acro :twitch:

I might be getting one also. This is a dimmabe 10 bulb with analog controls. I think there is a way to dim it with the apex, but I barely know how to use my Apex :uhoh2:
Sorry for jumping in on your thread, but it got me thinking about the same switch :). Actually, once I get an idea in my head, I usually end up doing it. I'm sure there will be t5's over my tank soon.

Post some pics of the t5 when you get it over the tank. :)[/QUOTE]

sahin
02/18/2015, 03:29 PM
No prob please jump in one thing I noticed with the t5 I put the fixture over the tank last night for a min is maybe not as bright as metal halides but u can see into the tAnk better and it does illuminate every inch it's over

Which daylight tubes are you running? I use at least 2 ATI Aquablue specials. These have significant spikes in the green/orange/yellow/red parts of the spectrum and consequently brighten up the tank. I also like Richards idea of using a GE 65K tube; it is visually quite bright.

billyzbear
02/18/2015, 04:27 PM
BrentH, which MH bulbs are you using?

You can use the fixture you have, I would suggest you get all the same or atleast two that are the same. It will make it alot easier when it comes to getting bulbs and will look more uniform over the tank. So get another one like you have then get two 4 ft 10 bulb fixtures or get three more like you have.
You can also get reefbrights, royal blue and or other color leds and put them inside or hang them on the sides of fixture.

BrentH
02/18/2015, 05:40 PM
Thanks my bulb combo is 3 Aqua blue +3 corsal+ 1 purple plus and 1 act nice in sure in time I'll play with bulb combos . I run radium bulbs 4 400 watt and 3phonjx 250 14k in back I just purchased 2 more 8x54 48" fixtures I couldn't afford 3 at once lol so I need to buy one more and about 500 bucks in bulbs and I'll be good !!!! I'm going to run the 4 48inchers side by side it will cover almost the whole tank im anxious .... I'm the same way as Jackson once I get an idea I obsess on it...ps sorry for misspellings and punctuation being so off I'm kinda do 2 things at once here

BrentH
02/18/2015, 06:28 PM
On a few other threads I see a lot of guys complaint of the ati frying there corals is that something I should worry about I'm kinda leaning towards my corals being ok since I've been blasting them with 400 watt radiums for he past while and there doing great?

billyzbear
02/18/2015, 06:31 PM
14k phoenix bulb really isn't blue. If you have 3 blue plus, 3 coral plus, 1 purple plus, 1 actinic and it's not bright enough. You could swap out coral plus with ge 6500k or another white bulb. The difference between GE and coral plus, GE has more green, yellow, orange and red and less blue. A GE looks good when flanked with blue plus. Corals use more blue and red to grow. Fish and some coral look better with all the colors. The actinic plus looks like blue plus but makes the coral pop more and is a lighter shade of blue. Par is lower than blue plus. If you read that link, blue plus is close to the highest par with spectrum meter. Par isn't everything but that is a long discussion. I thought you would want it bluer...
Side by side? Do you mean length wise across front?
I guess you could go length wise front to back but it will be harder to balance the color across the front of display.

BrentH
02/18/2015, 07:03 PM
Yes I want to go length wise I think it will look better for syre

billyzbear
02/18/2015, 07:17 PM
Frying coral, bleaching? I would have to know the hole story before I could comment. Generally no bleaching. You will need to acclimate coral to light. Have light on for 2-3 hours then off for a couple of hours. Repeat for one day. Two weeks should do it. You could also raise lights so they won't be soo intense.

markalot
02/20/2015, 10:32 AM
The ATI fixture is amazingly efficient, though while PAR is high I did not fry any of my corals when moving from LED. I was 350 PAR up top with LED, now 450 PAR with the fixture 12 inches above glass lids, 250 down on my sandbed, and I have a deep tank.

BrentH
02/20/2015, 02:33 PM
Thanks I'll just run them for like 7 hours to start and watch closely my tank is doing so good I hate to mess with anything it's just the heat/ Edison bill I'm excited on the new look it will create as well and I have a few dark spots that I know will do better with t5

Moser
02/21/2015, 12:51 AM
Which daylight tubes are you running? I use at least 2 ATI Aquablue specials. These have significant spikes in the green/orange/yellow/red parts of the spectrum and consequently brighten up the tank. I also like Richards idea of using a GE 65K tube; it is visually quite bright.

+1

If it's not bright enough, Aquablue specials will make it much brighter.
GE6500 are too yellow for my liking.

Be careful though, too much and they wash out the colours! A bit like 10k v 20k I suppose!

Mo

BrentH
02/21/2015, 12:44 PM
I do want it a tad brighter then what it's doing u think aqua blue special will make a diff versus the corsl +? I was planning on the 6500k but I don't want washed out colors either my fixtures will be here next wed so I'll be ready to mount that night :) I had the one up to visualize what it's going to be I know my corals will get more light it was awesome how the shaded spots the there are now we're lit up equaling what u guys said denser coral growth :)

BrentH
02/21/2015, 01:13 PM
Mo have u done your first bulb replacement yet how long did u wait if you have ?

billyzbear
02/21/2015, 02:40 PM
I sent you a PM, I have alot of bulbs. Some are new, most are used.

tdb320reef
02/21/2015, 06:32 PM
I am running:

4 250W radiums
8 48" 80W ATI Blue +
96 Cree Royal Blue 80 Optics
24 Cree Blue 80 Optics
8 Cree Royal Blue Moons 350MA

I still think MH are the Best for my eyes but T5's might be the best all around bulbs for Acros.

Moser
02/22/2015, 03:00 AM
I do want it a tad brighter then what it's doing u think aqua blue special will make a diff versus the corsl +? I was planning on the 6500k but I don't want washed out colors either my fixtures will be here next wed so I'll be ready to mount that night :) I had the one up to visualize what it's going to be I know my corals will get more light it was awesome how the shaded spots the there are now we're lit up equaling what u guys said denser coral growth :)

You can offset the 6500 my adding blues. It has the strongest PAR- non ATI.

The ATI Aquablue Special is a whiter bulb- still strong PAR and brings out pink red nicely, but fluorescence can be washed out a bit.

The ATI Coral+ is supposed to be the balanced bulb, a mix of everything. Slightly bluer than the aqua blue special and a hint of pink.

Those are the 3 "white" tubes to choose from, depending on how blue you like it.

I was told to try 50:50 mix of blue plus and coral+. That was a nice starting point.
For me, it lacked a little warmth so I added a Purple+ and that was nice.
I then saw the effect of actinics, which looked very nice, so I have slowly added actinics- they just give an extra fluorescent pop.
Also, my PAR was very high with the 50:50 mix, so I could afford to drop it a little and change some bulbs out at the same time to mix colours.

I would suggest experimenting with a couple of different coloured tubes. I have only recently swapped to T5 on my main tank, so no tube change, only swap outs.
I have had 6 Blue+ tubes on my frag tank for 18 months without a change and there is no problem yet- similar to Scott's experience with T5.

Mo

BrentH
02/22/2015, 05:00 PM
I see a lot of the zeo guys using the Kz new generation bulb I understand it will take my own preference and time to see what I like best one thing I do know is blue + is the most used I figure the Kz new gen is like coral+

BrentH
02/23/2015, 09:24 PM
Doubt any of you guys care to much but from the light bulb combo I have I decided I would like it a little bluer so Ibordered some extra bulbs per billyzbear recommendations :) for each 8 bulb fixture in going to do 4 blue+ 2 coral+1 purple plus 1anctnic not sure if one atnic will do much

BrentH
02/26/2015, 06:58 PM
Got all my lights today going to mount them tonight :)

BrentH
02/26/2015, 10:51 PM
Almost done no more shimmer but deff more color it's kinda hard to explain I'm happy with it!!i have one more to put up I'm running 4 blue + 2 cor+ 1 purp+1actnic on each fixture 32 bulbs total crazy!! I hope my sps like it don't pay attention to the 2 little t5 on very top they were there before I left them for night light kinda thing

BrentH
02/26/2015, 10:54 PM
What do u guys do with the left over wire from the hanging kit the hangs down?

sahin
02/27/2015, 05:16 AM
Your tank looks awesome! :beer: Do you have the non LED version?

Your combo of 4B+, 2C+, 1P+ and 1Act is just fine. There are one or two large tanks on this forum with 5B+, 2C+, 1P+ or 5B+, 1C+, 2P+ with great SPS colours.

With regards to the extra length of hanging wire, I tidy it away/tie onto fixture etc. Dont cut them whatever you do; they will unwind and lose strength.

Chris Lakies
02/27/2015, 05:51 AM
Of all the combo's i've had i love the 1:1 ratio Blue+/Coral+.

markalot
02/27/2015, 08:19 AM
Of all the combo's i've had i love the 1:1 ratio Blue+/Coral+.

Same here, and I may replace one of the Blue+ with a Coral+ in my 6 bulb fixture. I've tried to like AquaBlue Special but I just can't, and Purple+ puts too much of a reddish cast in the tank IMO, but then I only have 6 bulbs.

BrentH
02/27/2015, 08:39 AM
Yes the non led but deff in the future ill upgrade.... I'm glad I didn't cut them thanks Sahin I actually thought about that. But they do seem like they would almost unwind if u cut them. I have some new bulbs coming today to play with aqua special coming today and some coral -+

BrentH
02/27/2015, 08:49 AM
The only thing I see bothering me is in the middle were the fixtures meet its. A little dim. Not sure if there's anything I can do about that?

cleverbs
02/27/2015, 09:47 AM
What do you think of the T5hos? How long have you had them? I am buying a mh/t5ho combo for my 220g but am now wondering if i should be getting a 8x80w T5ho ATI Sunpower.

BrentH
02/27/2015, 10:30 AM
It's only been one day but so far I love way less heat is the first thing I noticed and the colors or the corals is great also the tank is lite up better like every spot gets light instead on random hot spots

billyzbear
02/27/2015, 01:53 PM
If you mount the fixtures in an upside down "V" it will get rid of the dim spot in the middle. Doesn't have to be that much of an angle and/or move them closer together.
Awesome your almost there.
More pics when your ready.

BrentH
02/27/2015, 03:01 PM
Thanks I'll try to angle them I almost need to do the v and also tilt them toward the middle .... One thing i like is they look so nice compared to before just streamline

BrentH
02/28/2015, 03:26 PM
Fellow Ati user wondering if it's ok to have the fixtures basically touching when your rUnning more then one ? I have mine set up long ways with the cords on the ends so the fans are blowing the hot air out into each other is this ok? Hard to explain hers a pic I want to pull them in a little closer but worried about heat or this causing probs?

billyzbear
02/28/2015, 09:11 PM
Yes, angle them towards each other.
I don't think it will be a problem to have them touch.

sahin
03/01/2015, 02:54 AM
Fellow Ati user wondering if it's ok to have the fixtures basically touching when your rUnning more then one ? I have mine set up long ways with the cords on the ends so the fans are blowing the hot air out into each other is this ok? Hard to explain hers a pic I want to pull them in a little closer but worried about heat or this causing probs?

I swear I replied last night but my post has disappeared....:worried:

Anyway, It looks like you have just enough space between the fixtures to allow the hot exhaust air to vent out properly. IF you notice the fixtures getting too hot then you need to pull them apart another 1inch or so if possible.

BrentH
03/01/2015, 01:37 PM
Any of u guys ever loose one of the screws in your tank? I took the fixture all the way down but screw was gone next time I looked if it feel in I'm not sure what there made out of? Thanks for replys everyone I'm talking about the screw that locks the angle of the fixture

sahin
03/01/2015, 02:04 PM
Any of u guys ever loose one of the screws in your tank? I took the fixture all the way down but screw was gone next time I looked if it feel in I'm not sure what there made out of? Thanks for replys everyone I'm talking about the screw that locks the angle of the fixture

I have no idea what they're made of. Maybe drop ATI USA an email. Hopefully shouldnt cause much of an issue. My buddy lost all his screws on his two units over his tank.

BrentH
03/01/2015, 02:51 PM
I have no idea what they're made of. Maybe drop ATI USA an email. Hopefully shouldnt cause much of an issue. My buddy lost all his screws on his two units over his tank.

they seem easy to fall off I guess that would be my only complaint on these units other then that there top notch!!! ill email ati today and keep u guys posted thanks I feel better if someone lost all of them :)

Moser
03/01/2015, 06:00 PM
I've lost two- it was one until today. You jinxed me! :frog:

Mo

BrentH
03/01/2015, 09:32 PM
Sorry about that I just tested the screws and they will not stick to a magnet which makes me guess aluminum?

billyzbear
03/01/2015, 09:54 PM
So, are you done mixing bulbs?

BrentH
03/01/2015, 10:18 PM
Ya I played around a bit I don't really like the Aqua blue special ... It has a yellow tint it seems the coral plus and blue plus with a purp plus seems to be my liking ... I'm just used to the brightness of the metal hilides so the tank seems dimmer but I'm sure it's getting plenty par and what it needs

billyzbear
03/03/2015, 11:21 AM
That's why I offered my bulbs so you wouldn't buy bulbs you don't like...

Let's see some pics.

BrentH
03/03/2015, 03:51 PM
Ok I'll get some tonight my corals seem to not be affected at all and actually seem more colorful under t5 ... Something that's crazy is the amount of 2 part I dose I had to increase by a lot since switching to t5 I think it's coincidence

BrentH
03/04/2015, 01:09 AM
Here's some phone pics best I can do this tank is a lot of fun 4 feet wide :) I love tanks with depth! So far loving the new lights I've alresdy though of sneezing a radium in up there somewhere but there's no space:)

BrentH
03/04/2015, 01:10 AM
:dance:

sahin
03/04/2015, 10:09 AM
Tank looks great man. All that space for premium SPS frags.... :D

billyzbear
03/04/2015, 12:51 PM
Really nice tank man!
My offer still stands but it looks like you've got it. What's your 16 bulb combo, front to back?

BrentH
03/04/2015, 02:07 PM
Well your gonna think I'm crazy I actually mounted the lights long ways front to back this way I can take out bulbs and work with the fixtures easier without taking them down. My tanks 4feet wide. I may change it back I'm not sure yet .... It seem to look the same my bulb combo is blue+Coral+blu+purple+blue+actinic coral+blue+ And then same all the way down each fixture

billyzbear
03/04/2015, 04:31 PM
That's not how I would do it but there are several ways to light a tank.
If you mount them the other way you can create more depth and highlight areas in your tank.
Have you ever made a video of your tank? You need to share it's beauty.

BrentH
03/04/2015, 07:20 PM
I agree it looked better the other way .it does give the tank more depth and seems to have better coverage .I think I'll put it backin the next day or 2 I don't know how to do videos? I just hated the dull spot in the middle ... But if I do it again I'll button it up tighter in the middle ... The center of my tank is like the centerpiece hard to explain

billyzbear
03/04/2015, 09:00 PM
My hidden agenda was to see your tank. Pics will work. LOL
Have the front fixtures and rear fixtures raised a little to face each other.
Front to back, blue, actinic, blue, purple, blue, coral, actinic, blue, coral, blue, purple, blue, coral, blue, actinic, blue. This is just a suggestion.

BrentH
03/04/2015, 11:59 PM
R u in SoCal?

billyzbear
03/05/2015, 12:06 AM
Yea, La Crescenta. 210 and 2 fwy

BrentH
03/08/2015, 04:09 AM
I remounted the lights the long way and it looks way better I pulled the fixtures in closer touching to fill in that spot I was talking about ..... In a pro ati hanger now done it so many times already!!! The only thing that's gonna be a pain is changeling out the bulbs I will have to pull the fixtures down or loosen them to get bulb out due to the canopy if mo reads this how do u swap out lights in your pics looks like u have a canopy as well?

BrentH
03/08/2015, 04:10 AM
Yea, La Crescenta. 210 and 2 fwy

I'll have u come check it out soon I owe you for all your help!!

Moser
03/08/2015, 04:24 AM
Hi Brent.

I can stand next to my tank. The side fixtures I tilt towards me.
The middle fixtures I can slide out behind the the tank....

They aren't in a canopy, the tank / lights/ sump are all in a different room. The front pane is walled off.. You can see it all on my tank thread.

Mo

billyzbear
03/08/2015, 12:50 PM
I'll have u come check it out soon I owe you for all your help!!
Thank you Brent, I'm a reef geek, what can I say...

BrentH
03/09/2015, 12:36 AM
How high should I have the fixtures over the water? My tank is 24" deep .... Right now I have them at about 8.5" from the water line maybe 9?

billyzbear
03/09/2015, 01:37 AM
Most have them closer, like 5". I'm like 3".
Closer would be better but not a biggy. Just make sure you get the coverage you need. I guess the closer you have them the hotter your water...
Did you get the dusk/dawn figured out?

BrentH
03/09/2015, 02:26 AM
I get it .... I'm am a total reef geek as well you have no idea the things I do to get nice corals ect....I was going to Garret's acropolis every weekend for months spending 500 a time I'll have u come check it out soon I owe you for all your help!!
Thank you Brent, I'm a reef geek, what can I say...

billyzbear
03/09/2015, 04:03 AM
Now I'm really excited to see your tank. From the pics it looks amazing.

Chris Lakies
03/09/2015, 06:30 AM
How high should I have the fixtures over the water? My tank is 24" deep .... Right now I have them at about 8.5" from the water line maybe 9?

I have my 8 bulb 7" from top of tank. This leaves the fixture about 8" from surface of water. Great PAR from sand to top of rock work.

BrentH
03/09/2015, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the replys I moved the fixtures down to about 6" my only prob is I have so much current I don't want the fixtures getting sprayed with salt water .... Otherwise I would have hem 2" off the surface :)

g0rilla
03/09/2015, 02:44 PM
I'm running 6 radium 3 400 3 250 on a 500 gallon I've always admired tanks and the way t5 look exp... Ati my question is u guys think it would be a wate of time or not be better? Also my electric bill is crazy I'm curious if the t5 would help that as well ....I basically asking if it would be pointless or a noticeable better change?

i'm switching my 2 400 watt mh+12 bulb t5 to just 12bulb t5 today I'll let you know how it goes

BrentH
03/09/2015, 08:52 PM
I'm loving the t5 change so far ..... Another question is how long do most of you guys run your t5s?? I'm seeing some as long as 10hours and the 2 bulbs 12

BrentH
03/09/2015, 08:58 PM
Pic

BrentH
03/09/2015, 09:02 PM
Another I flipped the fixtures around so the hot air goes out the opposite side not where they touch

billyzbear
03/09/2015, 09:47 PM
No more than 12 hours and min 4. I was talking with LFS that they have done testing of 4 hours on and 4 hours off for max growth.
I have my leds on for 11, 2 t5 for 9 and other 2 t5 for 6.
Are the fixtures setup with 2 switches, each 4 bulbs?
I would do 11 and 6 hours, all opinion...I try to save some $.

BrentH
03/10/2015, 08:10 PM
There's 2 bulbs on each fixture that are controlled seperate with a diff plug I run those 8.5 hours and the all of them for 7.5 I'm noticing some of my ACROS changing colors that I never saw with metal hilides lighter in color or pigment ... I'm happy with that

billyzbear
03/10/2015, 08:31 PM
Yea your going to see them change color some. If they become dull then I'd suggest adding more coral plus.

BrentH
03/10/2015, 09:04 PM
Ok I have 4 aqublue special on standby also

Chris Lakies
03/11/2015, 10:21 AM
I currently run 10 hours total.

8" from surface of water.

Back of fixture/tank
Blue+
Coral +
Blue+
Coral +
Blue+
Coral +
Blue+
Coral +
Front of fixture/tank

2 bulbs from 1pm to 2pm
all 8 from 2pm to 10pm
2 bulbs from 10pm to 11pm

tripdad
03/11/2015, 02:01 PM
I run 12hrs total, 1.5 just blue +, then blue+ and coral+, then 1.5hrs just blue+ at end of day. Only a 4 bulb fixture on a 40B.

BrentH
03/11/2015, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the replys the reason I'm asking is I would like to have the lights on longer then I used to with metal hilides for obvious reason viewing the tank:) how do u like the 50/50 blue plus and corsl plus?

las
03/11/2015, 09:19 PM
Tagging

billyzbear
03/11/2015, 09:41 PM
8.5 hours is pretty short. You could bump it up some.

BrentH
03/13/2015, 06:24 PM
i will tonight thanks