PDA

View Full Version : Need help using Neptune pm1 module with pH probe to run Ca Reactor

JurisHP
02/14/2015, 11:10 AM
Hello all: I want to control my Ca Reactor using the pH probe via a Neptune pm1. I installed everything, and the pm1 is showing-up on my Apex display screen. I am not sure what to do now? Can someone direct me to, or perhaps give me a step-by-step to get this going? Right now, the pH probe is showing that the pH that is being used for the Ca Reactor is 2.0. This is not correct, as I know that my pH is much higher. The reactor has been running both pumps for 24 hours w/o the Co2. I am purging the air, and don't want to dial-in the C02 until everything is set-up properly. I have enabled the pH probe in the pm1, but again, it's not showing the correct reading, so something is wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

slief
02/14/2015, 11:17 AM
I assume the 2.0 ph reading is from inside the reactor. If so, first thing I would do is put the probe in the tank water instead of the reactor and see what it reads in comparison to the other ph probe. If it's not reading correctly, you will need to calbrate the probe. Once you get your probe calibrated, then you can program the Co2 solenoid outlet. Also, make sure you have the solenoid plugged into outlet 4 or 8 on your EB8 as those are the relay outlets and you need to use those for low draw devices like solenoids and dosing pumps.

slief
02/14/2015, 11:23 AM
Here is a good read on how the Ca reactor works. FWIW, if your Co2 is being pumped into your reactor, the Co2 will lower the Ph in the reactor and it's effluent. Too much Co2 will cause the Ph to drop too low and dissolve the media to fast. It is not out of the realm of possibility that your reactors ph levels are very low if you are pumping too much Co2 in there and there is low water flow.
http://www.melevsreef.com/node/1276

JurisHP
02/14/2015, 12:09 PM
I assume the 2.0 ph reading is from inside the reactor. If so, first thing I would do is put the probe in the tank water instead of the reactor and see what it reads in comparison to the other ph probe. If it's not reading correctly, you will need to calbrate the probe. Once you get your probe calibrated, then you can program the Co2 solenoid outlet. Also, make sure you have the solenoid plugged into outlet 4 or 8 on your EB8 as those are the relay outlets and you need to use those for low draw devices like solenoids and dosing pumps.

The regulator I am using is from aquariumplants.com, and doesn't have a solenoid. I have both pumps for the Ca Reactor (feed and circulation), plugged - in somewhere else. My thought was to control the Ca Reactor with the pH, which is plugged into the pm1, which is being operated by the Apex. Does this change your advice?

slief
02/14/2015, 12:24 PM
The regulator I am using is from aquariumplants.com, and doesn't have a solenoid. I have both pumps for the Ca Reactor (feed and circulation), plugged - in somewhere else. My thought was to control the Ca Reactor with the pH, which is plugged into the pm1, which is being operated by the Apex. Does this change your advice?

It does not change my advice. FWIW, Melev uses the same aquarium plants regulator. That should be a good read.

JurisHP
02/14/2015, 01:51 PM
So my Apex won't recognize the pH probe into its calibrated?

ca1ore
02/14/2015, 02:03 PM

Aquarium plants regulator has an elctronic valve that can be controlled just like a regular solenoid can. Circulation and feed pumps typically run 24/7. CO2 supply can either be controlled via pH levels or just adjusted to the point where it also runs continuously, with the 'bubble' rate set so the ph remains constant. In the latter case, pH controller just plays an emergency role.

A new pH probe needs to be calibrated initially in order to 'tell' the controller what electrical signal corresponds to a particular pH levels (thus the use of reference samples in the calibration process).

ca1ore
02/14/2015, 02:04 PM

It will 'recognize' the probe but the readings will not be accurate until you calibrate it. You need pH 7 and pH 10 reference solutions.

Member No. 1
02/14/2015, 02:13 PM

Your initial problem was your Apex wasn't seeing or showing the correct pH reading of the probe. You need to correct this issue first. If you plan on using the probe in the tank, you need to use the 7.0 & 10.0 standard to calibrate as the pH range of your tank is 8.1-8.3. If on the other hand you plan on using the probe in your Ca reactor which operates at a pH of 6.2-6.7, you would need to use the 4.0 & 7.0 standard to calibrate the probe. But your first issue would be getting the Apex to calibrate the probe correctly. I would calibrate it for tank pH, place it in the tank to varify it's the same as the one you have in there now. Once it is confirmed that both read the same, then recalibrate as explained above for your Ca reactor.
But in the grand scheme of using a Ca reactor, you will need to install a solenoid to use the Apex to control the pH in the reactor.
For issues with the Apex, try going over to the forums at Neptune and ask there.
https://forum.neptunesystems.com/forum.php