PDA

View Full Version : Run lights while cycling tank

Bugsy_Barboza
02/14/2015, 05:19 PM
Should I run my lights while my tank is cycling? I've heard both answers just wondering what RC thinks?

mr.maroonsalty
02/14/2015, 05:41 PM
Everyone thinks different on that one; I think it depends on your rock, if it is very good fresh live rock then don't starve it of light, if it's not then I don't see it mattering much.

Mcgeezer
02/14/2015, 05:46 PM
Running your lights during a cycle is like eating chocolate cake when you're on a diet....it's pointless and counter productive.

Running GFO during your cycle with lights out is a recipe for success to prevent algae outbreaks.

jrr98002
02/14/2015, 05:58 PM
Running with lights out is usually the better option, unless your live rock happens to have some coral frags or other photosynthetic things you might TRY to save. To be honest, a lot of those things will die anyways because of the ammonia spike. In every tank I've ever cycled, I've cycled lights off mainly because it saves just that much more life on your bulbs. If your cycle lasts a month that's 1/6 the life of your T5s right there. Running lights out also keeps algae outbreaks to a minimum. I personally have to disagree with Mcgeezer and wouldn't run ANY chemical during cycling TBH. Some of your beneficial bacteria actually do need more than just ammonia and if you remove all the phosphate with GFO, that will actually hinder your cycle. Same with removing all nitrate. Wait until your cycle finishes before you try to fix nutrient issues.