PDA

View Full Version : Accurate feeding amount??

calk me Q
02/14/2015, 07:36 PM
:dance: I know NPS corals are sustainable or even thrive in captivity now as long as they are fed. (especially suspension feeders)

Also, many commercial products( XX pearl, FM series, reef nutrition) are available to give feeding them an access. But, what is the right dosage?

I mean, every feeding regime, or treatment, have a basic regulation like amount, density or anything like that( hope u guys understand waht i want to sayHowever, i dont know what is the right dosage of every product. Just like i have everything ready but i dont how to cook a right dish in my kitchen.

No evidence in either what is the right food density for them to feed at or what is the natural average plankton density in the coral reef where they stay at makes me really puzzled now. Just like feeding fish having a regulation of "eat up in 2 minutes:fun2:", what is for corals then?

IMO, it's a really interesting topic to dive in.

Just your comments...

GreshamH
02/16/2015, 03:58 PM
There is no regulation telling us feed producers "eat up in 2 minutes of fish", at least here in the USA. We state that as there really is no way for us to know what your bio-load is that is being fed, the metabolism, etc. We have to put something, so that's what you tend to get.

Now, here at Reef Nutrition I personally have developed our feeding protocols listed on all our products. I did this using my own personal tank, and taking it to the greatest dosage I could maintain without having massive algal blooms, and other issues. Our directions are for a single product, thus if you are feeding two of our plankton products, you will want to half our feeding directions. But I only give a range for feeding, and I really can't say what your tank will take. I did cross check my numbers to make sure I wasn't over doing it, and we're lower then what most reefs will have in terms of plankton density. Our feeds were developed both by utilizing the currently available research, as well as from talking with advanced aquarists in both the hobby as well as in the public aquarium field.

You're best bet to is find what has worked for others, especially in terms of NPS/Azoox corals.