PDA

View Full Version : How much phyto to dose in copepod culture?

30g
02/14/2015, 11:54 PM
I have about 4 gallons of 1.020 RODI mix in a ten gallon tank to culture pods. My only question is, how many ml of phytoplankton to add? I have about 3,000 copepods in there now. I put in about 20ml of phyto. Is that too much? The water has a light tint but not very green.

dkeller_nc
02/15/2015, 07:46 AM
Depends on what phyto product you're using. Reef nutrition's PhytoFeast is highly concentrated (both the "live" version and the "preserved" version). PhycoPure's version is far, far less concentrated.

In the case of Reef Nutrition's product, I use about 1/4 teaspoon in 2-1/2 gallons of saltwater every 3-4 days when I'm trying to get the copepods to reproduce quickly. When I'm just keeping the culture going, I use 4-5 drops of phyto every week.

The "high production" mode will tint the water a medium green, though it's still transparent. The "maintenance mode will tint the water a barely-perceptible green.

By the way - if you're new to this, realize that most copepods reproduce on about a 10 day cycle, so I'd let the culture go for at least a couple of weeks before filtering out some of the copepods.

30g
02/15/2015, 01:36 PM
Ok I'll keep on guessing then....j/k. Pods seem to be fine, keeping them a mellow yellow green for now. I have a phyto culture just started also.