PDA

View Full Version : Advice making bottle trap for Sun coral

jmareef1022
02/15/2015, 09:02 AM
Went to my lfs a couple days ago and seen a Sun coral frag for sale....was in the morning and he looked to be puffing up so I gave it a go...the first day I had him in the tank polyps were out ready to eat...I attempted mysis but nope my blood shrimp took it..do been looking up videos in yt and came across a couple ideas..which one do you guys recommend fir mines....1. A tall one 2.a short one or 3.one with holes in the side...also how long after I have fed do I remove the bottle so he's not being robbed....thanks

Sapelo
02/15/2015, 11:00 AM
We ended up using a risotto container for our sun coral because of his shape -- bottles were too narrow -- I think it's just whatever fits.
Then our trigger figured out what we were doing when the plastic container came into the tank and he could steal food as fast as we could pump it.
So finally we got smart and drilled a hole in the top of the container. From there, we inserted the head of a large syringe filled with ro water and brine shrimp bits. Depressed the plunger once the whole setup was in place and waited 10-15 minutes. We ended up learning to shut off the fans so the container was more stable.
Honestly, after a couple of weeks of feeding the coral this way every couple of days, we gradually transitioned to target feeding him after lights out without the container and that has come to work pretty well.
For us I think there were two things: finding a container that fit over the coral without scrapping the sides and using the syringe so that we could insert the food once the container was in place instead of trying to put the food under the side of the container.
We still have a pretty demanding coral but gosh it's pretty!
Good luck!

jmareef1022
02/15/2015, 01:22 PM
Ok this is what I've done..was only able to feed 3 out of 5 polyps...should I try feeding again tonight or just wait a few more days to feed them...when u fed it the polyps weren't fully extended but since it was the first time I fed him I decided to try and feed it...I guess I'll have to see how it works...thanks for some advice sapelo..any more advice is appreciated..thanks

jmareef1022
02/15/2015, 02:53 PM
So was looking at it and one of the polyps was spitting the mysis out...is that normal if he took too much in at once?

jmareef1022
02/22/2015, 03:27 PM
Should I be waiting till he expands more? Haven't really seen it expand all the way like all of the beutiful Sun coral I see here. .. and his mouth like that is he saying give me more or is he stressed. .. thanks

babyduke
03/05/2015, 01:00 PM
ooops, wrong thread..how do I delete?