PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my Prazipro dosing regimen

Maximus
02/15/2015, 12:37 PM
It looks like I could have flukes as I have seen a couple fish with cloudy eyes and tattered/frayed fins. I haven't observed any flashing but I'm not taking any chances. I'm going to be dosing my DT as I don't want to reinfect the fish after I put them back in the main tank. Here is my dosing regimen for approximately 80g of water:

Day 1: Dose 2 teaspoons (1/2 dose) of prazi.
Day 2: Dose 2 teaspoons (1/2 dose) of prazi.
Day 5: 25% water change and run carbon.

Now here is where I am confused. I want to administer prazi twice so I can kill any newly hatched flukes. Should I wait 5 days and administer the second dose or can I dose immediately after day 5?

If I dosed immediately after day 5, it would look like this:
Day 6: Dose 2 teaspoons of prazi
Day 7: Dose 2 teaspoons of prazi
Day 10: 25% water change and add carbon

If I waited 5 days, it would look like this:
Day 10: Dose 2 teaspoons of prazi
Day 11: Dose 2 teaspoons of prazi
Day 14: 25% water change and add carbon.

Thanks guys!

Maximus
02/15/2015, 01:43 PM
OMG, my suspicions were confirmed! I decided to just add the full 4 teaspoons to my tank and within 5 min, I could see the flukes coming off the eye of my wrasse!

jbvdhp
02/15/2015, 10:25 PM
I wish my case were as easy as yours.

My blenny was flashing like crazy and no other fish was flashing. Blenny died yesterday and sohal starts twitching and shaking while swimming.

I think you're first plan is right, as that's what I have been doing, but I read of the second way too.

Someone said wait 5-7 days in between doses, it's kinda confusing HUH?

Maximus
02/15/2015, 10:42 PM
Sorry about your fish. Did they die while you dosed prazi or was it too late? My wrasse still has a cloudy eye that has flukes on it. When I saw a fluke hanging off the eye I thought it was going to die. It might have died and other's are still there because it's definitely a bit cloudy. I wonder if/when they will all fall off. I also may dose another teaspoon tomorrow to strengthen the medicine in the tank. Does the extra teaspoon sound like a good idea? All my fish, including the wrasse are eating like normal and I have the skimmer on without the cup. I also rubber banded some Saran wrap on the skimmer so the bubbles and skimmate falls back into the water.

jbvdhp
02/15/2015, 11:34 PM
I read that wrasses can handle the recommended dosage well, beyond that may be an issue.

The blenny died during pp tx, but survived ttm well, and everything else before that. I'm at a loss for words with my fish dying. They had ich, got rid of it on the ones that survived, ruled out Brook, im unsure if it's velvet, and their actions make me think it's flukes, but FW dipping the blenny carcass proves nothing falling off. Havent seen a sole fluke in the tank during tx, but my blenny was flashing his gill area the most. Everyday, no ich spots. :(

I wish I had visual confirmation like you have for peace of mind.

Maximus
02/15/2015, 11:39 PM
How long after it died did you fw dip it? I read that flukes vacate a body pretty quickly after it dies.

jbvdhp
02/16/2015, 11:22 AM
How long after it died did you fw dip it? I read that flukes vacate a body pretty quickly after it dies.

Stupid flukes.

Im not sure. I woke up in the am and it passed. Sad, I really liked that fish.

Put it in freshwater for a couple of minutes, didn't do it long enough but I am thinking they're gill flukes though.

Maximus
02/16/2015, 04:56 PM
I dosed another teaspoon this morning and it seems like the flukes on her eye will not come off. I see the wrasse trying to scratch the eye area against the rock so I know it's bothering her. Does anyone think it's time for a freshwater dip?

Maximus
02/16/2015, 05:26 PM
I just performed a FW dip and about 15-20 flukes came off! I dipped her for 5 min and immediately put her in a small bucket full of tank water. Her eyes seem cloudy still so I wondering if I should do another FW dip for 5 min while I have her in a container.

mujtaba
02/17/2015, 11:05 AM
Maximus u said u dosed full dose yesterday and today u dosed another teaspoon, which means u have dosed 25% more than recommended dose. I m interested to know how is it going because on 14th of this month i dosed my DT with prazi and plan to repeat after 7 days.

Maximus
02/17/2015, 11:56 AM
Maximus u said u dosed full dose yesterday and today u dosed another teaspoon, which means u have dosed 25% more than recommended dose. I m interested to know how is it going because on 14th of this month i dosed my DT with prazi and plan to repeat after 7 days.

I wish I knew how it was really going. When I put the prazi in at first, within the first 5 min I saw the flukes hanging off the side and eye of my wrasse. The wrasse still had a cloudy eye so I figured the flukes were still on her. On the second day, I dosed another teaspoon full and performed a fw dip on her. I must have seen 15-20 flukes in the container. I'll check to see how she's doing today after work and will update this thread.