PDA

View Full Version : Protein skimmer waste

DaveRaz
02/15/2015, 01:40 PM
We compost for backyard garden and wondering if dumping this waste in the compost bin would be ok. Seems legit. Anyone else do this?

Edit to say. DOCs are obviously good for plants right? You see plush growth along streams and rivers and this is why, I premise. Obviously in addition to the water.

viper12775
02/15/2015, 05:06 PM
I'm sure it would have a high salt content I'm not sure if it would hurt plants you use the compost on

sreefs
02/15/2015, 08:08 PM
The salt is not good for most plants. I would not use it for that.

kegogut
02/15/2015, 08:19 PM
Ive used it for fertilizer in my plants for years with no ill effects. Well,just the outside plants as the smell in the house should be considered an ill effect. At least it is in the wife's eyes!

The salt content can be high in it but if you dilute it with water when feeding plants or your dumping it in a compost pile the salt content is negligible.

sreefs
02/15/2015, 09:08 PM
I know several people that use it to kill weeds and grass in there patio and drive ways. So I would not use it to feed plants. IMO
Many plants can not tolerate any salt in the soil or water.

sabo
02/15/2015, 10:07 PM
I dump all my waste water on the lawn. Was wondering if it would kill it. Hasn't done any harm at all.

silverarrow27
02/15/2015, 10:41 PM
I use the skimmate on the lawn, plants, and flowers with no ill-effects either. Been doing it for a couple years now.

kegogut
02/16/2015, 04:00 AM
I know several people that use it to kill weeds and grass in there patio and drive ways. So I would not use it to feed plants. IMO
Many plants can not tolerate any salt in the soil or water.

I dont think this is true.

Skimmate wont kill grass or weeds. Ive been dumping it into my plants for years and nothing has EVER died.

sreefs
02/16/2015, 08:42 AM
I guess it has to do with the type of plant, but I know many plants can not take any salt in there water. Do as you please and if you see no negative results keep on.

Zooxanthus
02/18/2015, 02:00 PM
plants do well with small amounts of salt. I was thinking of this same thing only to use on my hydroponic garden. I was going to wash it with fresh water and let the plankton settle and pour out the water, this should get most of the salt out.

kegogut
02/18/2015, 02:21 PM
What I usually do is pour my skimmer cup into a 5g bucket and then fill up the bucket with 3 or so gallons of water and then water my pants with that. I've never had any problems with plants having negative effects.

Zooxanthus
02/18/2015, 02:29 PM
What I usually do is pour my skimmer cup into a 5g bucket and then fill up the bucket with 3 or so gallons of water and then water my pants with that. I've never had any problems with plants having negative effects.

you actually water your pants? I have not tried that yet lol j/k

dogface 13
02/19/2015, 07:00 PM
i've put it in the same spot in the grass and don't notice anything dieing etc...

Mishri
02/27/2015, 03:11 PM
I dump all my waste water on the lawn. Was wondering if it would kill it. Hasn't done any harm at all.

Once it builds up and reaches the roots you'll see some serious issues with your lawn.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/07227.html

You are likely within salt tolerance for the type of lawn you have, but eventually your grass wont be so green, then it will barely green up.. then it will just be dead. It can take awhile.

I wouldn't use it in composte. given enough salt build up you'll start having problems... now, it is a small fraction of your composte, so it's possible it wont be a problem. I just see no reason to risk it.

I actually ran into nitrate build up from emptying high nitrate water onto my lawn and fertilizing too much...a good lawn is difficult to maintain, especially once you screw it up.

g0rilla
02/27/2015, 05:20 PM
maybe your plants have become salt tolerant after years of getting skimate dumped on them !