PDA

View Full Version : future 125 gallon reef tank stocking

BobJones02
02/15/2015, 10:22 PM
So I'm planning to start a 125 reef tank build sometime around April, but I wanted to get thinking about what to put in there. I was thinking of having mostly softies with some lps corals. Here is a list of the fish I was considering; I don't plan to get all of them, but here are the ones I would want.
2 ocellaris clowns
1 hippo tang
1 yellow tang
1 copperband butterfly not sure if reef safe
1 one spot foxface, not sure if reef safe
1 royal gramma
some sort of dwarf angel
and hopefully a mandarin after maybe a year, depending on how my pod population is going.

BobJones02
02/16/2015, 07:26 PM
Anyone

jrr98002
02/16/2015, 07:40 PM
Your stocking list looks fine to me. A hippo might be a tight fit. Foxfaces are reef-safe and your butterfly is except for some inverts if I recall correctly (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

SpartyOn
02/16/2015, 07:50 PM
don't go with the copperband you wont have enough pods for it to naturally self feed. i have a 125 and have never got them to last. some fish are best left in the ocean or a bigger tank were it has more live rocks and pods then it knows what to do with.

dogface 13
02/16/2015, 08:14 PM
becareful with angels and hippo if its small will be ok for a little while, might have to leave it open for him to have ample moving space

jrp1588
02/16/2015, 08:50 PM
Blue hippos are overrated. Throw in a powder blue instead. I'd leave out the copper banded butterfly as well, maybe sub in another tang. I'd throw in an assortment of smaller fish as well. Wrasses, gobies, hawkfish. etc.

BobJones02
02/16/2015, 09:36 PM
Okay so here's what I'm thinking
2 clowns
1 yellow tang
1 hippo tang
1 one spot foxface
1 mandarin goby
1 royal gramma
and I'm not sure think a powder blue would fit, but correct me if I'm wrong.

BobJones02
02/16/2015, 09:45 PM
oh and also would a pair of maroon clowns work as well, instead of the other ones?

BobJones02
02/16/2015, 09:46 PM
and any type of large angel?

mpderksen
02/16/2015, 11:22 PM
I have a few on that list and while every fish has a personality, the general understanding is that darker clowns, like the Maroon, are the most aggressive. Mine is crazy cool and I love her, but can't deny she can be a bully.
The thing I love most about my One-Spot FoxFace is the constant movement out in the open. However, in my 75, the Kole Tang follows and harasses her a fair amount. 2 grazers wasn't a smart idea and Steve (Snorvich is likely shaking his head at my mistake). I have a Royal in my nano and she's awesome.
The Hippo is certainly too big, not because of the growth size, but because they love long tanks for swimming even when small. I think 8 feet is the recommendation.
I'm sure you've read that you need about a year with a solid, pod-producing fuge to support the Mandarin, right?
When you think you get a reasonable list, post it in Steve's Compatibility thread. His experience is excellent and will even provide the recommended order of addition. Remember, he isn't trying to sell you anything and after 50 years in the hobby, he's worth listening to (wish I had checked before I stocked MY tank....)

BobJones02
02/16/2015, 11:29 PM
so the hippo is a no then?
that kind of sucks. ah well.

mpderksen
02/16/2015, 11:42 PM
It's your first step to an upgrade later. "I've always wanted a Hippo, so I'm going to build ......." As soon as that tank is complete, your going to want something else that needs something larger. Cycle of the hobby my friend.

BobJones02
02/17/2015, 01:54 PM
Well in that case I'll go with an 8 footer.
what would be a good stocking list for that, in addition to mine?

jaybfresh
02/17/2015, 02:01 PM
Well in that case I'll go with an 8 footer.
what would be a good stocking list for that, in addition to mine?

An 8 foot tank will be a huge cost increase because you'll be getting into custom territory. You still have plenty of options at 6 feet, but bigger is always better if you have the cash and the time!

How about a trio of anthias after you get into the swing of things? There are also lots of reef safe wrasse's to pick from that add color and activity.

BobJones02
02/17/2015, 05:12 PM
wait how much more exactly?
looking to spend a total of 3k

jaybfresh
02/17/2015, 05:38 PM
That's a nice healthy budget but an 8 foot tank alone will be over $1000

nuxx
02/17/2015, 05:51 PM
Not a huge fan of Hippos/Blues myself...

Our Yellow Belly Blue is a monster... I have a feeling he'd put some Sohals to shame. He harasses every new fish that goes into the tank and is as wide as he is long...

If you shop around you can find a good deal on custom tanks. Our display and frag tanks were both custom. I think we got a really good deal on both...

... but yeah you'd going to pay a ton more going from a 6' 125/220 to an 8' 240/300.

BobJones02
02/17/2015, 09:52 PM
I thought powder blue tangs were more aggressive than blue tangs and harder to keep.
Which one is a better option?

BobJones02
02/17/2015, 09:54 PM
Oh and would it be safe to add an emperor angel?
Are they reef safe?

kendrid
02/17/2015, 11:09 PM
I have a Powder Blue in a 125 and he does not bother anyone. Him and my Kole swim together most of the time. A lot of our other fish are also algae eaters (starry blenny, cherub angel) and he doesn't pick on any of them. Maybe I got a nice one but so far he's a nice fish. He is about 4" tail to nose right now.

Just be sure to QT the PBT for at least six weeks. Mine was from LiveAquaria and it had a bad case of ich when it arrived.

BobJones02
02/17/2015, 11:55 PM
How did you go about treating it?
For some reason, I have a very low success rate with trying to cure fish with ich.

nuxx
02/18/2015, 10:09 AM
I thought powder blue tangs were more aggressive than blue tangs and harder to keep.
Which one is a better option?

Between those two I'd go with a Blue. It's really down to the personality of each individual fish. We just got "lucky" with our mean YB Blue.

I've heard stories of hippos taking out other tangs in a tank, but have heard more stories of Powder Blues doing more damage.

A LFS close to us had a 500 gallon tank with a Powder Blue and Sohal in it. The 2.5" Powder Blue ended up killing the 6" Sohal.

kendrid
02/18/2015, 10:25 AM
How did you go about treating it?
For some reason, I have a very low success rate with trying to cure fish with ich.

6 weeks of Cupramine.

Mishri
02/18/2015, 12:15 PM
That's a pretty heavy stocking list imo. As others said, Hippo will outgrow a 125 gallon tank, they get huge.
I personally would go with either a powder blue tang or the fox face, not both. my dad had both in his 125 gallon and they were messy/dominated the tank. combine that with a yellow tang and the others.. a little heavy imo, but I also think most people stock their tanks heavy. Which is where you start seeing this aggression issues.

jrp1588
02/18/2015, 12:50 PM
That's a pretty heavy stocking list imo. As others said, Hippo will outgrow a 125 gallon tank, they get huge.
I personally would go with either a powder blue tang or the fox face, not both. my dad had both in his 125 gallon and they were messy/dominated the tank. combine that with a yellow tang and the others.. a little heavy imo, but I also think most people stock their tanks heavy. Which is where you start seeing this aggression issues.

I was thinking it sounded pretty light if the OP gets something smaller than a hippo. That's only 3 moderately sized fish. Clowns can get kinda big, but they aren't very active swimmers, and usually stick close to their 'spot.' I probably wouldn't add any more large fish, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid of adding a lot more small fish on top of the given stocking plan.

BobJones02
02/18/2015, 09:32 PM
So if it's pretty light, what else could I add?
I don't want to be heavily stocked at all though, I've made that mistake before in freshwater and figure it'll only be worse in saltwater.

BobJones02
02/18/2015, 09:33 PM
Also, is a 55 gallon quarantine okay for a tang for a month or two?

jrp1588
02/18/2015, 09:35 PM
So if it's pretty light, what else could I add?
I don't want to be heavily stocked at all though, I've made that mistake before in freshwater and figure it'll only be worse in saltwater.

I dunno, I usually kinda stock by feel. I'd probably do around five more fish around two inches. Hawk fish, dwarf Angel, watchman goby, fire fish, flasher wrasse.

jrp1588
02/18/2015, 09:36 PM

Assuming you don't get a full size tang, you'll be fine.

BobJones02
02/18/2015, 09:56 PM
Right I was thinking of getting a wrasse, but wouldn't it compete with my future mandarin for pods?

jrp1588
02/18/2015, 09:57 PM
Right I was thinking of getting a wrasse, but wouldn't it compete with my future mandarin for pods?

In a 125, there should be pods enough for both.

BobJones02
02/18/2015, 09:59 PM
Oh, that's great. How big would I need my fuge to be?

jrp1588
02/18/2015, 10:00 PM
Oh, that's great. How big would I need my fuge to be?

A fuge isn't fully necessary, but if you're going to bother with one, make it as big as you have room for.

BobJones02
02/18/2015, 10:02 PM
cool, and would it be possible to get a regal angel instead of any other small fish?
Or would it not have enough room?

jrp1588
02/18/2015, 10:05 PM
I'd be hesitant to add another large fish, but I honestly have no experience with the large angels. I'd say between two tangs and a fox, you've got enough showpiece fish. If it was me, I'd start filling in the gaps with the little guys.

BobJones02
02/18/2015, 10:15 PM
Okay then, small fish it is.

KAMIKAZE0214
02/18/2015, 10:29 PM
get a 150g if you don't have your tank already. I have a 125 and want a 150. The added area for scaping is awesome. a 125 is super narrow! I thought your fish list looked okay =D

BobJones02
02/18/2015, 10:36 PM
I thought that a 150 gallon only added height?

kendrid
02/19/2015, 08:16 AM

My Kole and Powder Blue were both kept in separate 29g QT tanks and they were fine. The Kole was about 3.5" head to tail and the PBT about 4.

mpderksen
02/19/2015, 09:27 AM
I thought that a 150 gallon only added height?

Going with "standard" dimensions, you are correct, but you can get anything built you want. The difference is, of course, price. Be aware that there are very few Angels that are reed safe. Most will pick at corals, and certainly clams, if that's of interest to you. IMO Angels are best left to fish-only tanks. There are lots of showcase fish, though, that would be wonderful in a tank of the size you are considering. Tangs are among my favorites, and you just have to be careful not to have any that won't share available space. Also, be careful how many grazers you have in total for long term success. The fish compatibility thread is wonderful to cross check your list in this regard once you get is nailed down.

cody6766
02/19/2015, 12:33 PM
When stocking a tank, don't just think about the fish you want, think about how you want the tank to look in the end. I like a tank that's mostly coral with fish as the supporting role. Big fish, or several of them, detract from the aquascape and coral structures. If you want a fish tank, that's not a factor, but I like a reef tank. No way is right or wrong, it's just something to consider.

As for stocking, here's my list for a standard 120g:
2x black clowns
2x green chromis
1 ywg
1 mandarin
1 kole tang
1 foxface
1 blue jaw trigger
1 purple striped dottyback
1 yellow tailed damsel

None of my fish are large yet, but I expect to have to remove the blue jaw at some point. I will probably have to tear the tank down for a move before that, otherwise I wouldn't have added him. I purposely bought smaller fish for this reason. I think the only thing I'd possibly add to the mix is another rock-dwelling fish like a smaller blenny. My water column is full. All of the fish except for the goby, mandarin and dottyback spend their time all over the tank. My clowns venture across all the time. While you have the 6' length, also remember the 125 is relatively narrow, especially when considering rock and overflows. Fish need a long run, but they also need to turn around. I've also found that strong flow substitutes (to some degree) for lack of length. My BJT and foxface 'play' in the flow from my 3 MP40s all the time. They'll swim against the current when one ramps up, and move between the three as the one they were swimming against dies down. I wouldn't stock a fish too large for a tank, relying on a powerhead to add 2 feet, but it's a good thing to have so properly planned fish can use it.

BobJones02
02/19/2015, 07:33 PM
I think I get it. I'd also like to know what corals to stock though. I'm pretty sure of the fish I want, and will keep it to around 3 medium fish and a few small fish, but need to know some good corals to stock. This is my first reef tank, so I was thinking of making it mostly soft corals and lps. I know I want zoas, mushrooms, and leathers. Any other ideas to add to the future tank?

camaroguy
02/19/2015, 07:41 PM
My Kole and Powder Blue were both kept in separate 29g QT tanks and they were fine. The Kole was about 3.5" head to tail and the PBT about 4.

I kept an 7" powder blue in a 20 gallon by itself for medicating for 10 weeks. He didn't love it, but it worked out ok being as its all I had at the time. We were doing 50% water changes every other day though.

That Tang is around 8" now and fat and messy as can be.

mpderksen
02/19/2015, 08:44 PM
I think I get it. I'd also like to know what corals to stock though. I'm pretty sure of the fish I want, and will keep it to around 3 medium fish and a few small fish, but need to know some good corals to stock. This is my first reef tank, so I was thinking of making it mostly soft corals and lps. I know I want zoas, mushrooms, and leathers. Any other ideas to add to the future tank?

100% personal preference. We are all artist in this regard to create the scape we like. I go for mixed, but appreciate what others have done with SPS. Lighting and flow are highly important, since each has different requirements. For example, mushrooms and SPS are on opposite ends of the spectrum.
Starting out, just be aware that some things, like mushrooms, Xenia and Green Star Polyps can spread to the point you may wish you never had them.
I'm partial to Zoas, and some people think they are lame. I have a few Ricordia colonies and love them. I have multiple LPS, like hammers, Duncans and a torch. These are my favorites. As LPS grow, you'll end up with some sort of dosing protocol to keep the Ca and Mg levels up.
A few easy SPS later can be added to the top area, and there are some pretty easy ones, like Monti, (both cap and digi) or a birdsnest.
Your tank, your choice, but I'd start with a few softies that catch your eye, and pick out an LPS you like once things are stable. That's my strategy for my new nano too. Now that is see my Yuma is happy, I plan to find a few more things to fill it in.

BobJones02
02/19/2015, 11:02 PM
For lighting, would I need to with metal halides or could I use t5 ho?
for softies and lps

BobJones02
02/19/2015, 11:10 PM
Okay, as for fish stocking, this is hard. I never thought I'd get so many conflicting opinions. Here's what I'm probably doing.
2 clowns
a powder blue tang
a yellow tang
a wrasse of some kind
a pink spotted goby
a dwarf angel
a royal gramma
a foxface (although i I could choose between this and a butterfly, I'd go with the butterfly)
and hopefully eventually a mandarin

mpderksen
02/20/2015, 02:27 AM
Okay, as for fish stocking, this is hard. I never thought I'd get so many conflicting opinions. Here's what I'm probably doing.
2 clowns
a powder blue tang
a yellow tang
a wrasse of some kind
a pink spotted goby
a dwarf angel
a royal gramma
a foxface (although i I could choose between this and a butterfly, I'd go with the butterfly)
and hopefully eventually a mandarin

While this list is best evaluated by Steve, (Snorvich) in the compatibility thread, my only comment would be that you should add the YT last.
With regards to lighting, my opinion is that LEDs offer significant long-term cost and heat advantages.

cody6766
02/20/2015, 01:35 PM
You can get great results with MH, T5s, LEDs or any combo of the three. You need to decide if you're going to use a canopy, how tall it will be if you are, how much heat you can remove from the tank (MH requires the most, LEDs the least), and if you want to pay for bulbs later on.

I went with Kessil LEDs on my 120g, but prefer the way MH+T5 actinics look. The problem is, I don't want to run a canopy and the Kessils were cheaper than nice looking MH+T5 pendants. They're also (a little) cheaper to run and don't require annual bulb replacement. Many reefers will agree that 250w Radium MH bulbs with VHO super actinic supplements is about as good as it gets for lighting and coloration. I think it is, and many people I talk to do as well. It's also not a very practical combo unless you have a roomy canopy.

BobJones02
02/20/2015, 09:14 PM
I thought that I should add the pbt last, because it's the most aggressive. Are yellow tangs more aggressive? Also, about the lighting, I'm thinking a combo of metal halides and t5's, but have a question about led's. Do they provide as much lighting as t5's? Never used them before.

mpderksen
02/20/2015, 10:47 PM
Wow! You just started the epic debate! Proponents on both sides. Strong proponents. My experience is only with LEDs since my 6 years in the hobby, so my opinion is useless. I'll only say I was attracted to the long life, low energy and low heat. But I can't compare to anything else. If I switched to T5 would my corals double in size? No way to tell.
Best response to this would be if some people actually posted picture of their tanks under both for a true comparison.
Have you settled on a tank size yet?

BobJones02
02/21/2015, 12:18 AM
Yeah, as of now, I'm thinking of going with a 125, unless I find a great (I mean REALLY GREAT) deal on a 240. If I were to do LEDs, I would probably do DIY, because I like those kind of projects. It gives me something to do while waiting for more disposable income. What would the initial costs of the 3 different types of lighting be?

mpderksen
02/21/2015, 10:06 AM
RapidLED build. Solder less kits, 2 @ $250 each? If I upgrade to a 6' tank I can just add a third.
4' x 2" single strip, also from Rapid. About $200.

On both I run controllers for individual channels with MeanWell dimmable drivers.

I didn't shop much, so these prices might be higher, but I live near the Bay Area, so I could go and pick my own CREE colors. You can choose different degrees of optics depending on the height above the tank and depth of it. They come with a hanging kit. 2 wires that mount in the ceiling, but with caps so it looks elegant, not tacky. Rules out a hood.

My very first project I bought all the parts separately, since there weren't many companies yet. I had to drill and tap my heat sink etc. ran for 3 years until I gave it away. Never had to change a bulb.

BobJones02
02/21/2015, 10:20 AM
Oh, cool. I live in the Silicon Valley. What about this?
http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/48-Bridgelux-LED-Controller-DIY-kit.html

BobJones02
02/21/2015, 10:22 AM
What does tapping a heatsink mean?

jrp1588
02/21/2015, 10:31 AM
I would also consider a premade LED unit. If you are on a budget, I'd recommend Reef Breeders fixtures. I love my Photon 16, and just bought 2 more used in preparation for my 125 build.

BobJones02
02/21/2015, 10:42 AM
actually those prices don't seem bad. Maybe I'll do LEDs and fluorescent.

mpderksen
02/21/2015, 11:02 AM
What does tapping a heatsink mean?

After you drill a hole, you use a "tap" to add threads to the hole so the screws will go in. You purchase a small kit at the hardware store. You have to go back and forth, slowly cutting the threads, using a small amount of machine oil or the tap will get stuck and snap off (done that). The kits are sized with a special drill bit that is slightly smaller than the final hole so that the tap makes the actual dimensions. You get them specifically for the screws you intend to use, like 10-32 or whatever.
Most heat sinks from Rapid are pre-done. The long, thin one I did was not. 16 LEDs meant 32 holes and took me about 1-2 hours from start to finish. HeatsinkUSA.com has about every dimension you could want, but the ones from Rapid also have slots for the hangers and for the clear plexi covers on the bottom.

BobJones02
02/21/2015, 12:10 PM
So, what are the holes for?

mpderksen
02/21/2015, 12:15 PM
So, what are the holes for?

To screw down the LEDs. You want good contact for heat transfer, not just to hold them in place. You use a tiny bit of thermal paste between them, like what you use between a computer chip and its heat sink. The kit from Rapid comes with it, or you can get a tube of Arctic Silver from any computer store.

BobJones02
02/21/2015, 12:17 PM
Oh and what's would recommend of these two?
https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-16/
https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/superlux/

BobJones02
02/21/2015, 12:18 PM
Ah okay. I thought you only glued them in.

jrp1588
02/21/2015, 12:39 PM
Oh and what's would recommend of these two?
https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-16/
https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/superlux/

Both are use the same LEDs. Basically you have to ask yourself if you want the sunrise sunset programmability. It's neat, but doesn't actually help much. Haha

mpderksen
02/21/2015, 12:42 PM
I use the Apex to create my levels. Super easy for as many channels as you want. This picture shows an overlay of my blue and white/red/green. Meanwell drivers come on at about 10%.

BobJones02
02/21/2015, 02:55 PM
Wait, it says they both have a controller? Which one has sunrise sunset programmability ?

mpderksen
02/21/2015, 03:07 PM
Wait, it says they both have a controller? Which one has sunrise sunset programmability ?

Not really answering your question, but if all things are equal, do you care about control remotely? For me, changing settings from an iPad seems easier than the panel of a fixture. Although on my nano I have a ReefKeeper Lite, and it's a total pain to set ramping levels. I also like the clean look of not having buttons on the fixture.

jrp1588
02/21/2015, 03:54 PM
Not really answering your question, but if all things are equal, do you care about control remotely? For me, changing settings from an iPad seems easier than the panel of a fixture. Although on my nano I have a ReefKeeper Lite, and it's a total pain to set ramping levels. I also like the clean look of not having buttons on the fixture.

I like the clean look on my back account when I don't have to pay hundreds of dollars more for ipad controlability on something that I won't touch once it's dialed in anyway. Haha

The photon series is the one with sunrise sunset capability. Programming takes maybe ten minutes if you use the thirty minute intervals. Half that for hour intervals. When you first get it, you shouldn't bump up the settings more than once a week anyway. What's ten minutes a week until you get it dialed in?

The Superlux just had am integrated timer. It turns on each channel at the specified time. It's really all you need. I just thought the sunrise effect was neat, and I got a good deal on used units.

BobJones02
02/21/2015, 04:00 PM
Okay, so atm I'm looking at either a photon or diy LEDs, and a t5 fixture. How many watts is the photon 16"?

mpderksen
02/21/2015, 05:51 PM
I like the clean look on my back account when I don't have to pay hundreds of dollars more for ipad controlability on something that I won't touch once it's dialed in anyway. Haha.

Can't argue with that. But I already have an Apex, so it wasn't a single $ more to wire the DIY fixture into the I/O 1-10V ports.
You are also correct that once you have the settings dialed in, you really don't change them (except for annually bumping up 1-2% as the LEDs fade in power).
This may be a minor point, and I don't want to derail the OP, but when I want to take a photo, I grab my iPhone or iPad, hit a button to kick the whites to 100% and I don't have to mess with any white balance issues to take the picture. With the way I normally run them you can't really take a picture or it comes out BLUE.

mpderksen
02/21/2015, 05:53 PM
Can't argue with that. But I already have an Apex, so it wasn't a single $ more to wire the DIY fixture into the I/O 1-10V ports. If you aren't planning a controller for your tank, then having them on the fixture DOES make much more sense. But I can't imagine running any tank without SOME kind of controller for things like a heater-kill backup etc.
You are also correct that once you have the settings dialed in, you really don't change them (except for annually bumping up 1-2% as the LEDs fade in power).
This may be a minor point, and I don't want to derail the OP, but when I want to take a photo, I grab my iPhone or iPad, hit a button to kick the whites to 100% and I don't have to mess with any white balance issues to take the picture. With the way I normally run them you can't really take a picture or it comes out BLUE.

jrp1588
02/21/2015, 06:21 PM
Can't argue with that. But I already have an Apex, so it wasn't a single $ more to wire the DIY fixture into the I/O 1-10V ports.
You are also correct that once you have the settings dialed in, you really don't change then them (except for annually bumping up 1-2% as the LEDs fade in power).

Actually, in addition to the custom programming, the photon series also has a manual setting. If I wanted, I could bump the whites up to 100 on manual mode. From there, it's a simple matter of pressing one button on the remote, snapping the shot, then hitting the custom button to go back to business as usual.

But yeah, I see your point, if I already had a controller, smart phone controlability would be cool.

BobJones02
02/21/2015, 10:12 PM
Was just looking around at stuff on ebay, and found this. It looks to good to be true.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150-gal-Aquarium-Protein-Skimmer-w-530GPH-Pump-Filter-Powerhead-Tank-Salt-Water-/191217427927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c857265d7

jrp1588
02/21/2015, 11:22 PM
Was just looking around at stuff on ebay, and found this. It looks to good to be true.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150-gal-Aquarium-Protein-Skimmer-w-530GPH-Pump-Filter-Powerhead-Tank-Salt-Water-/191217427927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c857265d7

Your instincts are correct. Avoid it.

BobJones02
02/22/2015, 02:27 PM
any reason why it is so cheap?

jrp1588
02/22/2015, 04:03 PM
I can't imagine it works well at all for $25. Even a good budget skimmer large enough for a 125 gal will run at least a couple hundred dollars. The skimmer is not a smart area to skimp on.

BobJones02
02/22/2015, 06:17 PM
that's what I thought. Back to stocking questions, would it be possible to have 3 tangs if there were no other medium/large fish?

BobJones02
02/22/2015, 09:21 PM
Oh and what about this skimmer?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+13924&pcatid=13924

jrp1588
02/22/2015, 09:43 PM
I've had that one before. It's pretty bad as well. Look into the bubble magus series. They make good budget skimmers. Does it need to be hang on back? You'll struggle to find a HOB skimmer suitable for a 125.

BobJones02
02/22/2015, 11:07 PM
No, actually preferably in sump.

BobJones02
02/26/2015, 09:28 PM
back to the stocking question...

kenpau
02/27/2015, 11:38 AM
Ok..........I might catch some flak for this but this is my opinion from 10 years experience and I've made a hell of a lot of mistakes!
I personally wouldn't put 2 tangs in there....however if you do then definitely add them together and as juviniles.
Also stay away from the powder blue tangs, these can be a nightmare for a reef tank. You're right on the limit for a pbt with a 125, add another tang in to the equation and you might start having problems. In my experience (which isn't the same for everyone) add the yt before the pbt and the fighting that with ensue will most likely result in ich on the pbt (they're very susceptible to this). Add the pbt before the yt and you'll have a lot of fighting, pbt's can be very aggressive with other tangs. If added together and young they may be ok for a while but as they grow you may develop problems.
Ok tangs done......dwarf angels....you need to choose your corals before your fish. If you are planning any lps then I'd be very wary of adding dwarf angels. I have a flame Angel in my sps dominated 150 and he's great but lps/softies are usually a different matter entirely.
The only large angel I'd attempt in there is a regal angel, you'd fit one in a 125 and they're one of the more reef safe angels. A rock beauty may work but they have a very specific diet so you'd have to be prepared for that.
As far as the rest of your list goes, it looks fine, I'd add the wrasse last, some can be pretty aggressive with new tank mates (six line etc).
I personally prefer a busy reef with a mixture of small and larger fish, my current setup is my favorite I've had in 10 years and consists of (in stocking order)

2 ocellaris clownfish
1 flame angel
15 yellow striped cardinals
1 blue throat trigger
1 yellow tang

It's a busy reef, but looks very natural, the cardinals school, the angel, tang and trigger are very active and there is no aggression in the tank at all. This is in a 150.
So after all that I'd consider what corals you want first.....that will determine your angel situation, I'd personally add one tang but if you're going for 2 or 3, they should definitely be smaller ones and added together.....I'd stay away from the hippo (too big for a 125) and pbt (beautiful but problematic).....remember a non aggressive, naturally stocked reef is healthier and less of a headache for you long term.

BobJones02
03/01/2015, 03:29 PM
Oh hey, thanks for your opinion. Also, are marine bettas reef safe?

BobJones02
03/01/2015, 07:30 PM
And would one work with the other future inhabitants?

CHSUB
03/01/2015, 08:02 PM
Ok..........I might catch some flak for this but this is my opinion from 10 years experience and I've made a hell of a lot of mistakes!
I personally wouldn't put 2 tangs in there....however if you do then definitely add them together and as juviniles.
Also stay away from the powder blue tangs, these can be a nightmare for a reef tank. You're right on the limit for a pbt with a 125, add another tang in to the equation and you might start having problems. In my experience (which isn't the same for everyone) add the yt before the pbt and the fighting that with ensue will most likely result in ich on the pbt (they're very susceptible to this). Add the pbt before the yt and you'll have a lot of fighting, pbt's can be very aggressive with other tangs. If added together and young they may be ok for a while but as they grow you may develop problems.
Ok tangs done......dwarf angels....you need to choose your corals before your fish. If you are planning any lps then I'd be very wary of adding dwarf angels. I have a flame Angel in my sps dominated 150 and he's great but lps/softies are usually a different matter entirely.
The only large angel I'd attempt in there is a regal angel, you'd fit one in a 125 and they're one of the more reef safe angels. A rock beauty may work but they have a very specific diet so you'd have to be prepared for that.
As far as the rest of your list goes, it looks fine, I'd add the wrasse last, some can be pretty aggressive with new tank mates (six line etc).
I personally prefer a busy reef with a mixture of small and larger fish, my current setup is my favorite I've had in 10 years and consists of (in stocking order)

2 ocellaris clownfish
1 flame angel
15 yellow striped cardinals
1 blue throat trigger
1 yellow tang

It's a busy reef, but looks very natural, the cardinals school, the angel, tang and trigger are very active and there is no aggression in the tank at all. This is in a 150.
So after all that I'd consider what corals you want first.....that will determine your angel situation, I'd personally add one tang but if you're going for 2 or 3, they should definitely be smaller ones and added together.....I'd stay away from the hippo (too big for a 125) and pbt (beautiful but problematic).....remember a non aggressive, naturally stocked reef is healthier and less of a headache for you long term.

sorry about asking this in someone thread, but i'm wondering about the cardinals? i see they are availble from DD, and seem very interesting in a large school. i would think the trigger would munch them? could you tell us more about you're experience with them.....

kenpau
03/01/2015, 10:31 PM
Oh hey, thanks for your opinion. Also, are marine bettas reef safe?

No worries, I'll be honest I've got no experience with marine bettas, any information I could give you would come straight from here:-

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+46+364&pcatid=364

kenpau
03/01/2015, 10:33 PM
sorry about asking this in someone thread, but i'm wondering about the cardinals? i see they are availble from DD, and seem very interesting in a large school. i would think the trigger would munch them? could you tell us more about you're experience with them.....

They are fine with my Blue Throat, they are considered one of the most reef safe triggers and he shows no interest in the cardinals at all. They obviously don't know he's safe though because they shoal pretty tightly together when he's swimming around!

BobJones02
03/06/2015, 11:39 PM
Does anyone else know much about marine bettas?

mpderksen
03/07/2015, 09:22 AM
THAT is a cool fish!! Interesting that LA list is as a 50gal minimum, but grow to 8"! I'd love to hear more about them as well. Pictures would be nice. They are peaceful, but will they need a calm tank? Could they hold their own against some of the aggressive tangs, like a Kole, or no threat because they are carnivores? My Kole tends to bother my other grazers (suspect same Eco-niche) but leaves my Cardinalfish alone completely.
I did find this article:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-04/hcs3/index.htm

BobJones02
03/07/2015, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I want to know if they are safe with clowns. Also, I came across a red coris wrasse at my lfs today, and was wondering if they are reef safe.

mpderksen
03/07/2015, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I want to know if they are safe with clowns. Also, I came across a red coris wrasse at my lfs today, and was wondering if they are reef safe.

With regards to the grouper, it seems that size matters. Clowns grow pretty slow by comparison, so you could have issues when she outgrows the clowns. They eat at night, so you might wake up one clown short.
The wrasse is probably pushing is for a 125. Personally I go for fish that can stay long term, and that one is probably going to press your limits. A few Flashers instead might be more colorful and interesting.
Disclaimer: I put a baby Voliton LionFish in my 75 for 6 months, knowing it was temporary, so it's not like I'm perfect in that regard.

BobJones02
03/08/2015, 12:41 AM
What grouper?

mpderksen
03/08/2015, 08:54 AM
The Marine Betta is a member of the Grouper family. Also called a Comet. Been doing some reading on them. Not a good fit for my tank, sadly.

BobJones02
03/08/2015, 11:22 AM
Just checked wikipedia, and it seems they are a member of the the family Plesiopidae, while groupers are Serranidae

mpderksen
03/08/2015, 11:38 AM
Well there you go. Now you know not to listen to me....lol. Sorry about that.

BobJones02
03/09/2015, 10:11 PM
It's all good, does anybody else know anything about them?