PDA

View Full Version : Collection Laws in Okinawa Japan

Robswdiver
02/16/2015, 07:12 AM
I recently moved to Okinawa Japan, and was wondering where I could find information on collection laws for coral and ornamental marine fish???

I know Coral and some fish are on CITES lists and the last thing I want is to do anything illegal or unethical. Especially in a foreign country.

Google searches have been less than helpful, and the searches on here are generally about collecting in the states. The language barrier here also doesn't help when attempting to ask for assistance or information.

These waters are amazing, and I would love to hand collect a few small broken frags.

Thank you for any help you all may be able to provide.

Rob

Puffyluv
02/17/2015, 06:47 AM
Well, there is an SPS thread on here by a guy from Okinowa...he gets pretty upset if you ask after legalities, though...I got curious and looked it up myself...looks to me like collecting coral isn't legal, and there is some no-take species of fish and inverts for various reasons.

http://www.stripes.com/news/okinawa-fishing-regulations-penalties-outlined-in-dive-report-1.70437

Robswdiver
02/17/2015, 07:32 AM
Thank you! That's exactly the type of article I was looking for. I suspected coral collection wasn't legal, but I wanted something in writing before I gave up on the idea.
Now I just need to find some fish stores around here.

Puffyluv
02/17/2015, 11:25 AM
It sounds like you might be able to trap fish, though...as long as you don't use diving equipment, and stay away from protected areas and no take species. :) Good luck LFS hunting! :)

seul7654
02/27/2015, 07:25 AM
I'm pretty certain that it isn't legal I'm afraid!

saf1
03/20/2015, 06:37 PM
There are a few fish stores. Not sure where about you live but outside Kadena AFB there is a fish shop off the main road, I forget the name since it has been 20 years for me :) Also go down to Naha, several there.

If you dive, watch out for sea snakes. They will swim right up and around you so just don't touch. They are more curious than anything else from what I remember. Some of the better diving around outside my area (Monterey, Ca :) )

If you haven't been, head North my young friend and check out the aquarium. Very well done and I'm sure they can give you some advise in regards to what you can take and where.

Ches
03/21/2015, 07:10 PM
Thank you! That's exactly the type of article I was looking for. I suspected coral collection wasn't legal, but I wanted something in writing before I gave up on the idea.
Now I just need to find some fish stores around here.

I'm in Oki and there's an Okinawa Saltwater Aquarium group on Facebook. It has a map of the fish stores in the files section. The major stores are Petbox, Bianco, Aquaplanning, Sea 7, and Marine Fish Lagoon. My favorite place is a coral restoration place called AquaCulture. Check these places out and join the group.

Puffyluv
03/22/2015, 09:12 AM
Ooo I like the sound of the "coral restoration" place!!!! :)