PDA

View Full Version : Apex Users - I have heater questions

skimjim
02/16/2015, 12:52 PM
Question one: If you own an Apex, what degree difference do you keep your high(off) and low(on) ??... Meaning if you set your off at 77.0 and your on at 76.0 then you have a 1 degree difference.

Question two: I'm having trouble engineering this in my mind. Is it more energy-efficient to have a small difference between on/off (like a 0.2 degree of difference)..... or have a larger difference between on/off (like a 1.5 degree of difference) ??... Which method would over time use less energy?

Help me with the logic please.

Toddrtrex
02/16/2015, 01:49 PM
I have 2 heaters; 150 watt and 250 watt for my 210.

The 250 is;

Fallback OFF
If Tmpx5 < 76.5 Then ON
If Tmpx5 > 81.0 Then OFF

The 150 is;

Fallback OFF
If Tmpx5 < 76.5 Then ON
If Tmpx5 > 80.5 Then OFF

I personally prefer to have a temp swing, hence the settings that I use. I have it running this way for the benefit of the inhabitants, and not for any energy usage savings. So, I can't say which way would save more energy, since mine stay on for longer periods of time, and conversely stay off for longer periods of time.

KSU_WILDCAT
02/16/2015, 02:01 PM
I have 2 heaters; 150 watt and 250 watt for my 210.

The 250 is;

Fallback OFF
If Tmpx5 < 76.5 Then ON
If Tmpx5 > 81.0 Then OFF

The 150 is;

Fallback OFF
If Tmpx5 < 76.5 Then ON
If Tmpx5 > 80.5 Then OFF

I personally prefer to have a temp swing, hence the settings that I use. I have it running this way for the benefit of the inhabitants, and not for any energy usage savings. So, I can't say which way would save more energy, since mine stay on for longer periods of time, and conversely stay off for longer periods of time.

Why a 4.5 degree temp swing? I could see allowing the tank to dip alittle at night, but why have it swinging during the day?

Toddrtrex
02/16/2015, 02:16 PM
Why a 4.5 degree temp swing? I could see allowing the tank to dip alittle at night, but why have it swinging during the day?

It swings when it swings, I don't have a time aspect on the heaters.

As it turns out, the low temp is usually b/t 6 and 8 AM, with the high temp around 8 to 9 PM.

I have never been a fan of rock steady temps. IMO/E, it does more harm than good. A swing within the normal temp range of the inhabitants that you keep is going to be fine.

While it is only anecdotal, I had a temp spike up towards 90* about 10 years ago (( due to a temp probe being out of the sump, and the windows being open a cool fall night )), that lasted at least 4 hours. At that time my tank's swing were around 6*. If I hadn't felt the water while feeding I wouldn't have know anything was wrong -- the fish, corals, anemones, clams and inverts were acting normal.

There a bunch of threads about temps swings.

skimjim
02/16/2015, 02:23 PM

Mishri
02/16/2015, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I've had a heater malfunction and hit 90 before, no casualties. I noticed the heat walking by the tank because it was cold in my house at the time (keep my heat at 62 in the winter)

wetWolger
02/16/2015, 03:23 PM
Which method would over time use less energy?

There should be no energy difference assuming the ambient temprature is not changing.

I personally have mine only doing a .2F variation between on/off....some argue that the frequent on/off can wear the heater faster. If your using the mechanical relay port (4 or 8 on the energy bar 8), then they will certainly wear the relay faster.

I have mine on port 1, so the relay is not an issue, and the heaters stock thermostat only allows a .1F variation, so I am acutating it less than it would have naturally anyways.

Raul-7
02/16/2015, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I've had a heater malfunction and hit 90 before, no casualties. I noticed the heat walking by the tank because it was cold in my house at the time (keep my heat at 62 in the winter)

Using an Apex?

How did it hit 90 if the controller is set to turn it off?

Vapour1ze
02/16/2015, 03:31 PM
I have three heaters on apex, all different outlets. Doesn't have to be that way but it is. I have a heater in my frag tank, one in left side of sump and one in right side of sump.

2x 250w, and 1x 150w.

I have a 180g total water volume. Tank sits next to a window, and it is 8 degrees in Illinois. Tank goes from 76.9 - 79.1 about 4 times a day.

Heaters are all on at once, all off until 76.9, then back on until 79.1 then off.

I have heaters on for about 4-5 hours, then off for about 2-3, then repeat.

Works great, corals are happy, corals are growing, colors are great, fish are happy. No bad side effects.

I don't agree with a single temp all day all night. That will cause more harm than good. Then in the event your tank dips 2 degrees when it has been used to a rock solid temp for that long, stuff could get ****ed off.

It's not rocket science. There are natural swings in the ocean every single day. My two degree swing is completely normal and almost natural.

Cheers!

AZBigJohn
02/16/2015, 03:47 PM
I agree with allowing a little fluctuation. I have a 4 degree variance in my Apex settings; of course I live in Phoenix, so my heaters don't even come on several months a year, and instead I am controlling fans in my sump and over the tank.

Mishri
02/16/2015, 04:23 PM
Using an Apex?

How did it hit 90 if the controller is set to turn it off?

nah, no apex. that was a crummy marineland heater. I stick to eheim now, have one that is 15 years old and still works great.

Also, I keep my temps consistent, and also had no die off, so I don't believe fluctuating temps saved them. -However, I don't believe there is any harm in doing it either.