PDA

View Full Version : Implementing a doser to my setup need help

jsdancer
02/16/2015, 01:52 PM
Hey guys,
I am going the route of using a doser for my 180 setup.
I am looking at a bubble magnus and a jabeo.

Both seem to be well used and everyone seems happy with their choice.

Where I seem to need help is in the collaboration department.

What would be the best advice you guys can give me when setting this up for my system.

Should I test everyday until dialed in like a calcium reactor, etc?
Is it possible to use the liquid media right from the bottle source or is it better to use the plastic canisters?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

toky916
02/16/2015, 02:13 PM
Start small dose and test every 3 days. And if you get the jeabo make sure check your head some came intalled backwards.

Reef Frog
02/16/2015, 05:32 PM
You will need to determine you tank's daily usage rate by testing in order to program your pumps correctly. I would dose by hand until you get your big 3 parameters where you want them. Then don't dose for 4 days and measure again. Divide your drop amount by 4 and you'll know your daily usage & you can set up your pumps accordingly. You should probably do this a few times to ensure accuracy & check after your dosers have been running a while to make sure levels remain stable.

Also I would not purchase the ready mix A & B liquid solutions. It will be very expensive for a 180g. Get a hold of Randy's reef calculator for guidance and buy the calcium & magnesium in bulk, and use baking soda for alkalinity.

jsdancer
02/17/2015, 11:35 PM
You will need to determine you tank's daily usage rate by testing in order to program your pumps correctly. I would dose by hand until you get your big 3 parameters where you want them. Then don't dose for 4 days and measure again. Divide your drop amount by 4 and you'll know your daily usage & you can set up your pumps accordingly. You should probably do this a few times to ensure accuracy & check after your dosers have been running a while to make sure levels remain stable.

Also I would not purchase the ready mix A & B liquid solutions. It will be very expensive for a 180g. Get a hold of Randy's reef calculator for guidance and buy the calcium & magnesium in bulk, and use baking soda for alkalinity.

Start small dose and test every 3 days. And if you get the jeabo make sure check your head some came intalled backwards.

Thanks guys!

I just added 31 new acros/lps's to my reef. I will go ahead and test every 3 days and see what kind of consumption is happening in the tank.

The numbers before adding those pieces looked as follows:

Day one - test Ca 450
Day 3 - test Ca 425
Thats 25 less every 3 days

Day one test - Alk 7.0
Day 3 - test Alk 8.2/8.4
Thats 1.2/1.4 less every 3 days

Day one test - Mg 1250/1200
Day 3 - test Mg 1300/1400
Thats 100 to 150 less every 3 days

If I were to setup for dosing at those numbers along with the bio load at that time....

I guess I would divide the 25 by 3 to get daily consumption for Ca
then
1.2/1.4 divided by 3 in order to get the daily dosing for Alk
And finally
100/150 divided by 3 to get the daily dose for Mg.

Am I thinking of this correctly?

I have heard of Randy's calculator. I also thought about buying in bulk the CA/ALk/Mg. I guess those products tell you how much to mix. Would those work in the plastic canisters like the ones bubble magnus has that Marine Depot sells?