PDA

View Full Version : Bengai Cardinal making a "clicking" sound!!!

Lmax8rn
02/16/2015, 07:57 PM
For months I have been parking my butt in front of and beside my reef tank, wondering where the heck the pistol or mantis shrimp is that is making a loud popping/clicking sound in my tank. After much observation I have discovered it is.... Lo and behold.... My Bengai Cardinal fish! Holy cow, finally an end to the mystery! And to think of all those nights I baited my fish trap in hopes of catching a potential fish killer! Anyone else have this experience? He is a large Bemgai, and the noise is quite loud. Dang, glad i FINALLY figured it out!

scrambler1880
02/16/2015, 08:27 PM
Holy cow... thought I was going crazy. YES, I too have heard a very loud clicking sound from my Banggaii ... happens during feeding time when he wants the others to "disperse" and leave him to his food. Everyone else that I have mentioned this to thought I was nuts -- told me to keep an eye out for the mantis that was about to eat up all my prized Wrasses... Glad I'm not the only one.

collegeman
02/16/2015, 10:07 PM
I heard a similar noise from my Banggaii when I tried to introduce a pajama Cardinal. That was the first time I ever heard one making that noise.

Betta132
02/16/2015, 10:23 PM
Welp, we've just discovered a thing.
How do you suppose they can do that? Do they have vocal cords?

Stevenliu9
02/16/2015, 11:18 PM
very interesting, I have had them for a long time and never heard of this. But I also have a pistol shrimp in my tank. does it sound like a pistol shrimp clicking? maybe I've been falsely accusing my pistol shrimp this whole time?

Lmax8rn
02/17/2015, 07:28 AM
Yes, sounds like a shrimp. I read online that they do it with their mouths. There is a YouTube video that shows it. I'm just glad it isn't a mantis shrimp!

slief
02/17/2015, 10:06 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1558150

NYCBOB
02/17/2015, 12:01 PM
My bangaiis do the said thing when other fish mess with them.