PDA

View Full Version : Am I looking at the right acrylic?

rickztahone
02/17/2015, 01:46 PM
I visited a website that carries acrylic locally to me that another member posted in another thread. I need acrylic to do my coast to coast on my acrylic 75g and also need acrylic for the baffles. I called them and asked for an acrylic sheet which was 4x8, but I told them that was too much, so asked for half of that so I can cut it myself. She told me the total for the 4x4 piece of 1/2" cell cast acrylic it would be $307.

Am I looking at the right type of acrylic I need here? Can I use a thinner profile? I was about to buy the weld on 4 to do this project but after hearing that, I was a bit hesitant, lol.

Please advise.

uncleof6
02/17/2015, 02:04 PM
I visited a website that carries acrylic locally to me that another member posted in another thread. I need acrylic to do my coast to coast on my acrylic 75g and also need acrylic for the baffles. I called them and asked for an acrylic sheet which was 4x8, but I told them that was too much, so asked for half of that so I can cut it myself. She told me the total for the 4x4 piece of 1/2" cell cast acrylic it would be $307.

Am I looking at the right type of acrylic I need here? Can I use a thinner profile? I was about to buy the weld on 4 to do this project but after hearing that, I was a bit hesitant, lol.

Please advise.

Acrylic is expensive. More expensive than glass. It is cheaper to find a local acrylic fabrication shop, and buy scrap cutoffs by the lbs, instead of buying new by the sheet or half-sheet.

No you don't need 12mm acrylic. 6mm will be fine.

rickztahone
02/17/2015, 02:07 PM
Acrylic is expensive. More expensive than glass. It is cheaper to find a local acrylic fabrication shop, and buy scrap cutoffs by the lbs, instead of buying new by the sheet or half-sheet.

No you don't need 12mm acrylic. 6mm will be fine.

I figured as much. I will definitely look at the 6mm. I was shopping online but the shipping seems to be rather pricey. I am planning on doing a mach-up of the setup with cardboard so that I try to minimize the waste of the amount of acrylic I need.

Thanks Uncle.

FraggledRock
02/17/2015, 02:20 PM
Acrylic is expensive but that sounds way too much!

check out http://canalplastic.com/

its where I go to get my acrylic. I don't know if they deliver, but worth a shot. best prices i could find!

I bet canal would laser cut all the pieces and ship for less than the price of that 4x4 piece u got quoted lol

uncleof6
02/17/2015, 03:09 PM
Laser cutting acrylic can lead to crazing when solvent welding. (Source: James (Acrylics) ) Laser cutting heats the acrylic. That is why flame polishing is done after assembly. I saw that jut recently, but don't really care to go hunting it up.

rickztahone
02/17/2015, 03:49 PM
Acrylic is expensive but that sounds way too much!

check out http://canalplastic.com/

its where I go to get my acrylic. I don't know if they deliver, but worth a shot. best prices i could find!

I bet canal would laser cut all the pieces and ship for less than the price of that 4x4 piece u got quoted lol
I contacted them just to see how much it would be. Shipping coast to coast i'm sure will not be cheap. I am close to Los Angeles.

Laser cutting acrylic can lead to crazing when solvent welding. (Source: James (Acrylics) ) Laser cutting heats the acrylic. That is why flame polishing is done after assembly. I saw that jut recently, but don't really care to go hunting it up.

Thank you for that reminder. I do remember reading that somewhere recently as well.

dattack
02/17/2015, 05:14 PM
If you need small pieces for acrylic in Los Angeles, I used to go to superior plastics in Los Angeles. Nice owner.
If you need big sheets, try CALSAK IN LOS Angeles. There are so many acrylic distributors in the Los Angeles area.
$307 dollars seems like the price range of a full sheet and some of 1/2" black acrylic. I think she wanted to charge you full sheet for the half sheet.

rickztahone
02/17/2015, 05:21 PM
If you need small pieces for acrylic in Los Angeles, I used to go to superior plastics in Los Angeles. Nice owner.
If you need big sheets, try CALSAK IN LOS Angeles. There are so many acrylic distributors in the Los Angeles area.
$307 dollars seems like the price range of a full sheet and some of 1/2" black acrylic. I think she wanted to charge you full sheet for the half sheet.

Possibly. I don't know much about acrylic to be honest and that could have been what she was doing. Either way, I'm glad I asked because now I have a lead on 2 more places to call. Thank you.

rickztahone
02/17/2015, 05:27 PM

thanks again. I called Superior plastics and they have the 48x24 piece of cell caste acrylic 1/4" for $35. Can't really beat that. I have to drive a bit but not much.

adova
02/18/2015, 10:48 AM

+1 - have the shop CNC route everything for you but avoid laser cut...

rickztahone
02/18/2015, 11:36 AM
+1 - have the shop CNC route everything for you but avoid laser cut...

I am thinking of table cutting everything myself because they charge $10 per cut. I can use that money instead to by myself a new blade for the table saw.

adova
02/18/2015, 11:48 AM
Even after a saw cut, you are going to need to clean up the edges. This can be done via router or sanding. Sanding has the potential to leave you with an uneven edge. My suggestion would be to saw cut to ~1/16" of final dimensions on each side and then route to final dimensions.

FWIW - my supplier cuts an entire sheet for $35. Typical rates should be no more than $70 / sheet or so. But, with a small project it can become cost prohibitive...

rickztahone
02/18/2015, 12:29 PM
Even after a saw cut, you are going to need to clean up the edges. This can be done via router or sanding. Sanding has the potential to leave you with an uneven edge. My suggestion would be to saw cut to ~1/16" of final dimensions on each side and then route to final dimensions.

FWIW - my supplier cuts an entire sheet for $35. Typical rates should be no more than $70 / sheet or so. But, with a small project it can become cost prohibitive...

Thank you, that was my reasoning as well. Seeing as the half sheet is costing me $35, I didn't feel the need to shell out another cost on top of that for the cuts that is going to be more than the half sheet.