PDA

View Full Version : First Nano Plans, What do you think?

Stish
02/17/2015, 10:09 PM
Hello all,

I was messing around with idea of getting a nano reef going about 6 months ago and just never pulled the trigger. So, finally after hours upon hours of research I am finally ready to make this thing happen in the next couple weeks.

I have had a 55g fish only and a 55g fish only with live rock in the past. I currently have a 55g freshwater planted tank. Below is the equipment that I plan on using for my build and I was just wondering if anyone had any changes I should consider. My budget for equipment is only about $250 right now.

10g Aquarium
Eheim Jager 75w heater
Current USA Marine Orbit LED
2 Hydor Koralia 425 Powerheads
Refractometer and reef master test kit

I plan on doing natural filtration only. I was planning on using about 10lbs of sand (worth it to go for a deep sand bed in this size tank?) and 15lbs of dry rock and letting this cycle for however long it takes. Is there something I can get to introduce only beneficial mirco-organisms to the tank?
As for stocking I was planing on Soft corals and mushrooms, possibly would try some SPS. The only fish that I know for sure that I want in it is Firefish, very possible I would them only. I may also throw and peppermint shrimp in the tank.

Any input would be greatly appreciate

KorD
02/18/2015, 01:15 PM
The depth of a sand bed is in the eyes of the beholder in my opinion.
other then that I am not familiar with the light you will be using. Will it support all the ranges of corals you plan on having?

Other then that, everything looks fine, good luck with your build and post pictures when you have them :)

Stish
02/19/2015, 01:39 PM
Thanks,

From what I have seen the light should be alright to keep everything but SPS. So when I decide that I want to add those I will need to upgrade.

I have also decided to put a HOB rufugium on the tank as well as a DIY ATO.