PDA

View Full Version : OK to use glass shield on SE Halide?

jaybfresh
02/19/2015, 09:48 AM
I'm coming from the DE world where glass shields are necessary, but now I have a 250w mogul radium setup and my pendant has a glass UV shield. Will the extra UV filtering reduce the light output at all, and should I run without the shield? The pendant is 12" off the water so splashing isn't really a concern

Wazzel
02/19/2015, 09:58 AM
SE bulbs are already shielded, so not necessary to use an additional shield. If it were me I would not use the additional shield.

jaybfresh
02/19/2015, 10:00 AM
SE bulbs are already shielded, so not necessary to use an additional shield. If it were me I would not use the additional shield.

Thanks, I knew this but was just curious about how much of an impact the glass shield would have.

Wazzel
02/19/2015, 10:02 AM
I have always heard it will impact it some, but never actually been given an amount or percentage.

d2mini
02/19/2015, 01:20 PM
Its fine to use it if you want.
My Hamilton Cebu Sun came with the shield.
But i removed it, just because i stuffed the unit into my canopy which made bulb changes impossible when the glass was installed, without removing the whole fixture.
Like Wazzel says, it's not needed with SE bulbs.
If you do use it, just keep it clean.

The upside to using the shield is preventing saltwater from splashing the bulbs and leaving salt deposits behind but that shouldn't be an issue at typical distances, and the bulbs can be cleaned off too. When cool/off.