PDA

View Full Version : lighting suggestion for 20long

russ722
02/19/2015, 04:09 PM
Hi everyone , signed up a long time ago but just visited time to Time.

Anyways what's a decent budget light for low-medium light corals in a 20 long tank? Dknt want any of the diy led kits ,not goid at soldering and just dont like how they look with wires and stuff everywhere.Thanks in advance

Bill Nye
02/19/2015, 04:13 PM
Hi everyone , signed up a long time ago but just visited time to Time.

Anyways what's a decent budget light for low-medium light corals in a 20 long tank? Dknt want any of the diy led kits ,not goid at soldering and just dont like how they look with wires and stuff everywhere.Thanks in advance

I use a 4 bulb T5 unit on my 20 gallon long and it can support any coral you can throw at it. Because 20Ls are so shallow you dont really need that much light to get some decent par numbers. If you are looking to save a few dollars, I would recommend getting a used middle of the road fixture that at least has individual reflectors to maximize the output. I am using some crappy current USA nova extreme fixture that I am the third owner of and it gets the job done. I think I bought it for 70 bucks locally a couple years ago.

On the LED front you could go with a Reef Breeder fixture. I don't have much experience with LEDs but I have heard a lot of good things about the reef breeders stuff and it is pretty cheap.

PS

Welcome to Reef Central! Only took 3 years to get your first post in ;)

russ722
02/19/2015, 04:52 PM
I use a 4 bulb T5 unit on my 20 gallon long and it can support any coral you can throw at it. Because 20Ls are so shallow you dont really need that much light to get some decent par numbers. If you are looking to save a few dollars, I would recommend getting a used middle of the road fixture that at least has individual reflectors to maximize the output. I am using some crappy current USA nova extreme fixture that I am the third owner of and it gets the job done. I think I bought it for 70 bucks locally a couple years ago.

On the LED front you could go with a Reef Breeder fixture. I don't have much experience with LEDs but I have heard a lot of good things about the reef breeders stuff and it is pretty cheap.

PS

Welcome to Reef Central! Only took 3 years to get your first post in ;)

Thanks for the info.doesn't seem like 3 years since I signed up ,but then again I've had a on again off again addiction to the hobby.

Arthur1
02/19/2015, 08:58 PM
Have to agree with Bill as I was thinking T5 before reading anything else! 20 longs don't seem so popular anymore but I remember when I was a kid breeding Apistos and other cichlids that it was a good tank :)

alton
02/20/2015, 07:46 AM
Here is my wife's 20 with BML 12K

russ722
02/20/2015, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys.