PDA

View Full Version : Ich question

noplac2hyd
02/19/2015, 06:19 PM
Ok so my hippo tang had a bad case of ich so I took my tank apart to get him out and was able to put him into a quarantine tank it's been about 5 days and he's looking good no more bumps or white specks. My question is should I put him back into the reef or my smaller fowlr tank. I'm nervous he will get sick again and I don't want to relive the nitghmare of trying to fish him out again. Is he more suseptible to getting ich now?

Also no other fish in the tank had gotten ich so what's the likely hood that it's still around?

Thanks in advance.

julie180
02/19/2015, 06:29 PM
Ich is now in your tank. Without treatment, the hippo will most likely get it again, he probably still has it, just not where you can see.

The only way to rid ich is to take all fish out, treat with tank transfer method, or copper and leave the display tank fallow for 72 days to break the life cycle of ich.

There is a wealth of information on this subject over on the disease forum.

3FordFamily
02/19/2015, 06:47 PM
That's not the ONLy option... Read the last two pages or so of this thread..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2482245

ClownfishbreedR
02/19/2015, 11:34 PM
One of the best thing for ich is Kent Marine Garlic Xtreme. Soak your fish food in it.

gone fishin
02/20/2015, 09:50 AM
I agree with julie180. Garlic extreme, kick ich or any of the other similar products will not got get rid of ich.

FraggledRock
02/20/2015, 09:53 AM
did you have any other fish in your DT?

Lizzy_lray
02/20/2015, 11:10 AM
Keep him in QT. It's not worth stressing him again to get him out of the tank when he get reinfected. If go the 6 weeks and he survives you may want to get yourself a cleaner shimp. I know people that have had them help. The fish will supposedly go to the shrimp at the first signs.

It probably doesn't work all the time but it's a small investment in a fish that's prone to the parasite.