PDA

View Full Version : SPS Crab

Fridmoni
02/20/2015, 10:26 PM
I normally read, but don't post, so I hope this is the correct place to ask a question about a crab I found in my birdsnest coral to see if it is safe. Hard to tell from the picture, but the crab is light brown (same color as coral) and it has claws that are the same color as the body.

CommsTech
02/21/2015, 04:13 AM
I would say its probably just an Acro crab. I have a few in my tank and they don't harm any of my Acros.I think since they make acropora corals their home they protect it.

glaukos
02/21/2015, 05:28 AM
can't see much from this pic but i agree with comms,it's probably an acro crab:)
If you have the time,post one more just to be sure.

tdo
02/21/2015, 09:12 AM
If it is smooth skinned it will be fine. If it's hairy I would highly recommend taking it out.

spsfreak25
02/21/2015, 09:40 AM
agreed with the above post. smooth shell good hairy shell bad. i had a acro eating crab once. did not know it was eating my acros till it was to late

Fridmoni
02/21/2015, 01:01 PM
The crab is smooth and that SPS is one of the few that appears completely healthy. Something is eating several of my SPS corals. I took a few good pictures of something on a mushroom and on my clam. I could not get a good picture of lower parts of my SPS to check for flatworms. I could take one out of the tank. Do these appear to be flatworms?

myaerica
02/21/2015, 02:30 PM
Those look like flat worms planaria but, not the acro eating ones. Flatworm exit will kill them.

Fridmoni
02/22/2015, 07:46 PM
Thanks - I will try and take some better pictures to see what is causing issues with my SPS corals. All but one are in distress and I don't know why yet. Any links to common problems would be appreciated.