PDA

View Full Version : Really noisy return line fitting in overflow

amcvay1979
02/21/2015, 02:19 PM
Just setting up my Marineland 150 tall and everything is working great. Only problem is the return line pvc is extremely noisy because there's a small hole drilled in the 90 degree elbow where the top of the 1 inch line meets the flexible snap together lines that go into the top of the tank.

If I adjust the water level of the tank the noise stops but the level of water is way too high and over the slotted corner section. I could just replace the elbow but I don't know why that hole is there to begin with and not sure if I should just get used to it, but it's insanely loud. I could add a hole to the pvc line below the water line but I just don't know why there's a hole in the return line elbow to begin with.

Coelli
02/21/2015, 02:26 PM
The hole is there to break the siphon and prevent the return from siphoning too much water back into the sump from the tank when the pump is turned off. You definitely want it to be there (alternately you can place the return nozzle just under the waterline).

When you say return, do you mean the water coming back to the tank (the return) or do you mean the drain? There should be no noise coming from the siphon break in the return because water should be shooting out of it.

amcvay1979
02/21/2015, 03:07 PM
The return from the sump to the display. There's water rushing it out of it. So much so that it's making a really loud spraying sound. It's much louder than the drain into the sump.

amcvay1979
02/21/2015, 03:13 PM
Should I trim the verticle 1 inch pipe a half inch to get the hole below the water line?

Bill Nye
02/21/2015, 03:52 PM
Should I trim the verticle 1 inch pipe a half inch to get the hole below the water line?

Unless the hole is drilled unusually high I would look at raising the water level in your tank. If the hole is above the water you will end up with tons of salt creep.

amcvay1979
02/21/2015, 06:52 PM
It's right at the bottom of the elbow and the water like is perfect when the drain is running full blast and I don't choke the return pump. I think I'll just trim the return pipe 1/2 inch lower and get the hole even with the water line.

Coelli
02/21/2015, 08:39 PM
It's right at the bottom of the elbow and the water like is perfect when the drain is running full blast and I don't choke the return pump. I think I'll just trim the return pipe 1/2 inch lower and get the hole even with the water line.

Yup, that'll work :) As long as your sump can handle the additional water you're good.

amcvay1979
02/21/2015, 08:56 PM
It looks like it's just a balancing act of choking the drain ever slightly and throttling the return pump back just a touch as well to raise the water level behind the corner grate by about a half an inch. So far so good.

Bill Nye
02/21/2015, 09:02 PM
It looks like it's just a balancing act of choking the drain ever slightly and throttling the return pump back just a touch as well to raise the water level behind the corner grate by about a half an inch. So far so good.

Not sure the set up your tank has but be careful choking a drain line if you dont have a emergency drain. If you are running a durso and something gets stuck in the drain you could be looking at a serious flood.

amcvay1979
02/21/2015, 09:15 PM
It's a stock Marineland corner overflow. There's a hole in the drain and also a small tube at the very top of the drain elbow to break an air lock I'm assuming

Coelli
02/22/2015, 07:28 PM
Not sure the set up your tank has but be careful choking a drain line if you dont have a emergency drain. If you are running a durso and something gets stuck in the drain you could be looking at a serious flood.

My tank unfortunately is set up the same way - gate on the drain. I've got a breakout box and float switches to install still, but in the meantime I just run the tank level with enough room to handle all of the water from the return section and the pump has run-dry detection to shut off if the drain is blocked. I still don't like it, but it works for now. ;)

amcvay1979
02/22/2015, 07:56 PM
I put a true union ball valve on the drain and a ball valve on the return pump and I'm very glad I did. It's been nearly silent for about 24 hours now. Just a balancing act.

Bill Nye
02/22/2015, 09:12 PM
I put a true union ball valve on the drain and a ball valve on the return pump and I'm very glad I did. It's been nearly silent for about 24 hours now. Just a balancing act.

I have a reef ready tank as well and I turned my 3/4 " return into my drain line and the 1 inch drain into my emergency drain then ran a return line over the back. I spent weeks trying to get my durso to shut up then I switched to the herbie and its completely silent.

amcvay1979
02/23/2015, 02:46 PM
I've just been reading about he Herbie setup. My drain has a large elbow at the top and a hole in it as well, so wouldn't the drain only allow water to drain up to a little below the hole in the top elbow?

Bill Nye
02/23/2015, 05:14 PM
I've just been reading about he Herbie setup. My drain has a large elbow at the top and a hole in it as well, so wouldn't the drain only allow water to drain up to a little below the hole in the top elbow?

I just bought new pvc from the local hardware store and redid my overflow. If you have the typical 1 1/4" durso which comes with many reef ready tanks you can still use that as your emergency drain or you can cut a new pipe to adjust the water level in the overflow depending on how much splashing you get.