PDA

View Full Version : Sterilize used tank?

Goldndoodle
02/21/2015, 02:53 PM
I finally got my nanoCube taken down today. Not sure what I'm going to do with it now that it's ripped apart though.

I've been thinking about using it as a Hospital Tank or maybe a Quarantine Tank, but might end up selling it.

It's pretty gross right now - I was thinking about running it with some water and bleach for a few days to get rid of all the gunk and stink. Then drain it, and run it again with water and some Prime for a few days.

Good idea? Or bad idea?

ReefKeep66
02/21/2015, 02:59 PM
vinegar and water would better imo, still effective but you don't have to worry about any containments from the bleach. Espically in a qt tank. I'm sure you could completely get rid of all the bleach, I would just prefer a safer approach just so I don't have to worry about it.

Goldndoodle
02/21/2015, 04:19 PM
Good idea! Thanks!

gone fishin
02/21/2015, 05:39 PM
I have always done a water and vinegar wash then rinsed out well.

jrr98002
02/21/2015, 05:47 PM
+1 vinegar and water, not bleach

disc1
02/21/2015, 05:47 PM
I'll never understand this hobby. People are so scared of the slightest trace of bleach that won't be there, yet others will dump peroxide straight into their tanks.

If you run water with bleach through for a few days and then rinse it well with fresh water, there won't be enough bleach left to raise any concern. There's no need for a bath in prime or anything. Just lots of fresh water and it will all rinse away.

Althoug I do like vinegar better. It's way more effective at getting the calcerous stuff.

shadow64
02/21/2015, 06:02 PM
vinegar and water , rinse

SaltyDoug
02/21/2015, 06:31 PM
I got my tank used it was pretty grimey. I let it run for a few days with vinegar and all the grim just slid right off.

As for bleach I used it to clean some old live rock and just made sure to rinse it thoroughly so I think bleach is fine but not necessary.

Goldndoodle
02/21/2015, 07:07 PM
Dumped the sand and other leftovers into the cornfield behind my house. Washed it out with a couple of 5 gallon buckets of tap water and put it down in the basement for now. Too busy looking at the corals in their new home to do anymore work on an old tank.