PDA

View Full Version : 299 gallon plywood build

Dproch
02/21/2015, 04:01 PM
Hello, I've started building a 299 gallon reef tank inside measures 72x31x31. The sides, back, and front rim and 1 1/8" plywood, my glass is 13mm ultra white. I've fiberglass resin/clothed all the inside corners with bondo repair kit, and now have coated with first layer of potable water grade epoxy , and criticism, ideas, or suggestions would be most helpful as I am just a stupid plumber and many of you have experience more than I in this area.

Thanks in advance for any input

How to add pictures is

Dproch
02/21/2015, 04:04 PM
13mm ultra white vs plate glass

Dproch
02/21/2015, 04:05 PM
Fiberglass corners

Dproch
02/21/2015, 04:08 PM
Potable water grade epoxy coating #1

Dproch
02/21/2015, 04:31 PM
My plan is to plant a 2x6 long the back about 1/2 way up to take care of any flex that might occur in the along the centre back, I am doing a diy live rock wall with edges and cliffs so this will be covered in white Portland and shell mixture and support the top of the cave like structure protruding from the back wall .the overflow will span the tank and be about 10" deep and will also help with any flex if still even possible. I'm pipe fitting next week with a welder so it works out perfectly for my top and bottom angle iron and flat bar braces as I did know whether or not to trust my welding :headwally:

Dproch
02/21/2015, 04:33 PM
Does anyone see any problems if I have the shop make me the over flow grill out of sheet metal on the plasma machine and epoxy coat the hell out of it

muttley000
02/22/2015, 08:45 AM
Some more pics would be most helpful, I am having a hard time grasping what you are suggesting. Did you find 1 1/8 plywood, or have to laminate it yourself?

Dproch
02/22/2015, 09:02 AM
I got 5/8 grade A ply and 1/2 one good side and contact cemented it together then pressed each sheet with 1000 pounds, It worked out very well

Dproch
02/22/2015, 09:29 AM
I want to make an overflow grill to silicon to the back leading to my overflow and can find a factory made one that will fit the opening I have allotted for the overflow. So I thought I could get heavy gauge sheet metal cut with precision on the plasma machine at work and coat it with this epoxy( meant for lining metal potable water storage tanks) I had to buy 5 gallons of to seal the tin. Do you think that force of water rushing by would bend the tin and thus crack the epoxy and expose the tin to my system. Another idea for the overflow grill is what I'm after

wolfblue
02/22/2015, 01:54 PM
I think your glass thickness could be a little on the thin side. I'm not sure but somebody that really knows should be along shortly.

And how are you setting the window in?

Dproch
02/22/2015, 02:41 PM
Yeah I would have preferred to go a little thicker but true ultra white glass is only available upto 13mm and I was assured by my supplier that it would be fine. But at $40 a sq ft after tax I hope he's right. I wasn't willing to go with regular glass because the difference in visibility is crazy. You can't even see the sheet of glass against my wall

Dproch
02/22/2015, 02:43 PM
Also the way it's being install adds a lot of support form it bowing at all

NanoReefWanabe
02/22/2015, 10:34 PM
at 31 tall it doesn't look like you have a lot of area to bond the glass to..i hope the flange area/ overlap of glass to tank is a good 2-3"

can that paint you used be tinted? a white interior will be crazy hard to see into…plus the coraline will stick out like a sore thumb…

as for the sheet metal idea i would say no…you are far better off to leave the gap open without teeth…teeth do very little of anything good for your tank…they trap algae, they reduce your surface skimming by over 50%, and they typically don't stop fish or other critters from sump surfing…

as for your tank it looks like a great start…

what are your plans for the eurobracing around the top…i think i seen you mention a metal angle iron frame…at a heavy enough gauge, that would be very beneficial to the integrity of your tank…

keep us posted i hope to see it full of water

how large is your glass? how large is the opening? how high does the water sit in the tank? you mentioned the tank is 31" tall<--you looking at 29-30" of water?