PDA

View Full Version : Purple tang

Jade5051
02/22/2015, 02:35 AM
I found a great deal on a purple tang that is 2" long and 3" tall. It's only $105 and I could probably talk them down. Are the tang police going to come get me if I put this in a 75g tank?

jbvdhp
02/22/2015, 10:11 AM
You just incriminated yourself by putting this up here!

Im sure we all have seen tangs in "tanks they're never supposed to be in" because they're too small, but they all seem to survive ok and seem normal. My buddy had a 2" blue tang in a 60 cube that just never grew, but seemed normal health wise.

Personally I've had tangs in small-ish tanks for years without issue, until I recently saw their need for swimming space and I felt bad. Upgraded to a longer tank, and now I want an even longer tank! I haven't seen monster yellow or purple tangs so I would imagine you'd be ok.

3FordFamily
02/22/2015, 10:50 AM
You just incriminated yourself by putting this up here!

Im sure we all have seen tangs in "tanks they're never supposed to be in" because they're too small, but they all seem to survive ok and seem normal. My buddy had a 2" blue tang in a 60 cube that just never grew, but seemed normal health wise.

Personally I've had tangs in small-ish tanks for years without issue, until I recently saw their need for swimming space and I felt bad. Upgraded to a longer tank, and now I want an even longer tank! I haven't seen monster yellow or purple tangs so I would imagine you'd be ok.

My purple is probably 6-6.5" and is nasty as hell in a 180. Aside from the issue of morality and space, it will likely bully all new additions in a small tank. My 7" desjardi sailfin was the old tank boss and not 1/4 as aggressive. I decided to move him to a different tank and then my wife complained because it was her favorite, and within one week in the new tank my return pump electrocuted the tank and killed him and my stars and stripes puffer. Quite sad so I had to replace it. But in the sailfins a sense the pure took over. There's no aggression now but she bullies new additions far worse than my sailfin ever did. I had a 7" purple for years that also was nasty as snot in a different tank.

jbvdhp
02/22/2015, 12:16 PM
Yeah my purple tang can be a buhtch too. But man, they're pretty.

Jade5051
02/22/2015, 12:36 PM
You just incriminated yourself by putting this up here!...

I haven't done anything wrong yet. I was just asking... :(

jbvdhp
02/22/2015, 12:51 PM
I haven't done anything wrong yet. I was just asking... :(

Dude, I am far from the tang police! Lol!!! I try to evade them with my tang criminal activities also! >=) i was tying to associate "incriminate" with "police"... Written word and joking around never work well! :)

d-man
02/22/2015, 12:51 PM
It will get brutal in a tank that size real fast.
I'd say no, but I don't want to be a hypocrite cuz I have done this before in my younger days. But have learned a lot since then.
If you're going to do it. Find a smaller one. I see 1.5" all the time at wholesalers

ChimolaFish
02/23/2015, 04:27 AM
http://blog.aquanerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Tang-Police.jpg

They grow very slowly, but eventually you need to upgrade your tank. And purples are known to be rather nasty, so its a risk. Sometimes you can get one that breaks the mold.

Dmorty217
02/23/2015, 05:38 AM

They grow very slowly, but eventually you need to upgrade your tank. And purples are known to be rather nasty, so its a risk. Sometimes you can get one that breaks the mold.

Best picture ever! To answer your question it WON'T work long term so why do it to begin with?

jbvdhp
02/23/2015, 04:21 PM

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

ChimolaFish
02/23/2015, 05:52 PM
Haha, I found it awhile back, glad you guys like it.

CHSUB
02/24/2015, 07:52 AM
i have had several PT, over many years, in tanks from 55 to 300 gallons and never found them very aggressive. In a 75 g (imo and ime) as a single tang, you would be fine. However, other tank mates would have to be chosen wisely.