PDA

View Full Version : AEFW and Rock Dip

Mark426
02/22/2015, 09:33 AM
Well.....as careful as I have been, inspecting, dipping, quarantine, it has happened. I discovered that I have AEFW in several of my corals. The problem that many of us have is most of my corals are heavily encrusted.

I have an island type setup with each island mortared into one solid form that can easily be removed with the corals intact. I am wondering if I can remove each island with the corals attached and dip Bayer, rinse and return to my display. This would be the easiest way without having to frag off each acro and basically start over. What say you...doable without nuking my entire system?

Thanks reefers,
Mark

Mark426
02/23/2015, 12:12 PM
I was hoping someone would have an opinion. My only concern is will the rock absorb the Bayer dip? Any guesses?

tripdad
02/23/2015, 01:54 PM
I can give you my thoughts but I'm no expert on AEFW. I use Bayer to dip and I have had no issues yet, I say yet because I have heard of people having issues because of incomplete rinsing and getting animals deaths to to "drag in" from the dip. This would be my concern. With the rock being so porous how would you ever get all the Bayer out of it? I don't think you could and I think you would kill everything except corals in your tank. I would break them off, dip, and scrape the encrustation off the rocks to remove food source or replace rock. Sorry, I know that answer sucks but not as bad as killing your animals. Good luck. P.S. They're are a few threads on in tank treatments on this board, maybe investigate that avenue.

SneekaPeek
02/24/2015, 09:35 PM
freshwater dip the rock, bayer dip the corals. people have also vinegar dipped rock to rid of gha with no ill effects. wouldn't trust bayer on my rock ever.

trueblackpercula
02/25/2015, 06:03 AM
Well.....as careful as I have been, inspecting, dipping, quarantine, it has happened. I discovered that I have AEFW in several of my corals. The problem that many of us have is most of my corals are heavily encrusted.

I have an island type setup with each island mortared into one solid form that can easily be removed with the corals intact. I am wondering if I can remove each island with the corals attached and dip Bayer, rinse and return to my display. This would be the easiest way without having to frag off each acro and basically start over. What say you...doable without nuking my entire system?

Thanks reefers,
Mark

I did this and had no issues at all and it worked well.

nogascans
02/27/2015, 01:49 PM
I have done this as a last ditch effort (worked), but I ended up loosing all my pods and had to replenish 2 weeks later. Back to normal now. My tank was sump-less, so if you have a sump I would disconnect from the system before and wait a week after before reconnecting IF you have a refugium with Pods there.

Sincerely,

David

Piper27
02/27/2015, 06:56 PM
Just use melafix or revive if you don't want to break everything off the rocks. I have dipped rocks with acros on them many times with these dips and had no issues. I would never Bayer dip a rock. I have ridded them from a tank I had a while back with weekly dips, be vigilant and very thorough. They are sneaky evil things that will trick you if you underestimate them.

Reef Bass
02/27/2015, 07:26 PM
I have also dipped large colonies encrusted on rocks in Melafix with no bad side effects. I also dunked them in a separate container of reef water to "rinse" after dipping before putting back in the tank.