PDA

View Full Version : Any advice appreciated

DanzReef
02/22/2015, 12:37 PM
Hi all! :wave:

Well firstly a little back story. I've been wanting very eagerly to get back in the game since I had to take down my tank about 2 yrs back and then attempted to get my 150g back up this past summer but just never managed to get there. So here I am again and but this time I started a little bit smaller and going to wait till I get use to everything before I attempt the 150g tank so I got me a nice custom 40g.

So for starters can you guys update me on any good sites where to get some good deals on or vendors with good service. I use to go to SaltwaterFish/Marinie Depot/Pet Solutions/BRS.

Another big thing I would really like some input is, what seems to be standard now a days when it comes to testing? Which kit or Tests should I be focusing on? I hear RedSea is having some troubles with their kits which is what I had originally planned to get.

Happy to be back! :beer:

frog.pauley
02/22/2015, 12:59 PM
Seems you got it down with vendors. I would add exotic-reefs to the list for live stock. Awsome guy to deal with and prices are great compared to most. Salifert test kits seem to be the best from reviews. I have no problem with my Red Sea kit, although it does read Mag through the roof....not too much of a concern for me.

gone fishin
02/22/2015, 01:12 PM
API should suffice for ammonia, nitirite, nitrate
I use salifert for alkalinity, calcium, magnesium
Hanna checker for phosphate
Refractometer for salinity

Good luck

DanzReef
02/26/2015, 01:43 PM
Lets say things go south or a certain parameters needs addressing, other then water changes what are the must have or common supplies one would need to get to fall back into those safe/recommended parameters?

GilliganReef
02/26/2015, 01:57 PM
Lets say things go south or a certain parameters needs addressing, other then water changes what are the must have or common supplies one would need to get such parameters back in check?

Buying a GFO or Carbon reactor, RODI unit, and poly filter.