PDA

View Full Version : ph problem? Okay to add fish?

ReefWhatYouSow
02/22/2015, 05:11 PM
Hey guys. So ammonia and nitrites are still "0" with nitrates at about "5". BUT the ph is 8.63 is it still safe to add fish?

And that is according to the ph probe that came with my used Apex. Calibrated it, so in guessing that it is correct.

Spar
02/22/2015, 05:54 PM
nothing wrong with 8.63. likely it is actually lower than that. really no need to even measure pH, just test your KH and ensure it stays relatively consistent and that you don't do anything to drastically change it at a single time (via dosing or water change).

gone fishin
02/22/2015, 06:20 PM
Your pH is ok. I agree with Spar's post. Add away and good luck.

ReefWhatYouSow
02/23/2015, 09:20 AM
Thanks a lot for the help. I tested again with an API test kit and the pH came out a strong 8.0

I also tested KH which is 143.2, so good for a new tank?

Spar
02/23/2015, 10:19 AM
143.2ppm = 8.4 dKH; which is perfect. there is a wide range of KH that is acceptable, generally aimed between 7 to 11. what matters most is to keep it consistent.

ReefWhatYouSow
02/23/2015, 10:43 AM
143.2ppm = 8.4 dKH; which is perfect. there is a wide range of KH that is acceptable, generally aimed between 7 to 11. what matters most is to keep it consistent.

Awesome. So... I have stuff to dose and reactors which I guess are to clean the water, but with my Params the way they are should I not do either until the things I start adding (fish and coral) change the Params?

Mishri
02/23/2015, 11:21 AM
For fish you just need to worry about Ammonia, keep it at 0. Adding fish will only change your nitrate/phosphate(via waste and food you give them), you shouldn't have to worry about anything else with them. and those parameters only matter if you are keeping SPS... sofites like some nice phosphate/nitrate. but phosphate interferes with calcification (so with SPS you want that to be 0 or close to it).

So it's good you are testing, it's also good to know why you are testing and what changes in those levels effect in your tank and what can be impacted by it.