PDA

View Full Version : Way outta wack levels

stingeragent
02/22/2015, 09:05 PM
Haven't been on here in almost a year. My 20 gal reef has been doing ok I suppose. Only coral I have competely lost so far is a montipora. Have had a few almost dwindle to nothing and then spring back, and had a kenya tree coral come outta nowhere in a live rock, is about 6 inches currently and has fragged off 8 seperate pieces. Anyways, within the last week I've decided I need to get it back in check as besides the kenya coral, nothing else much has grown. Testing some levels tonight, my DKH was off the chart, like higher than my API test kit goes. Calcium was also off the chart, 500+. Those 2 were my main concern. I haven't kept up with water changes much in the last 6 months (maybe once a month sometimes longer), and only recently (last 2 weeks), have I done a bi-weekly water change. I just can't see those 2 numbers being so high. I don't dose anything and the salt I have been using isn't a reef specific one with the extra dose of minerals and what not. Has my test kit gone bad or something, or could the calcium levels somehow just be off the charts. Thanks.

bertoni
02/22/2015, 10:11 PM
The test kits might be bad, so getting a second opinion might be useful, if that's not too hard. I'd also test some freshly-mixed saltwater.

pH buffers and tap water can be stealth sources of alkalinity, and even some calcium. What's going into the system?

stingeragent
02/23/2015, 07:32 PM
I will have to get a different brand test kit ordered and try it out. I use RO/DI water, instant ocean (non reef) salt, and thats it. No buffer's, dosing , etc.

bertoni
02/23/2015, 07:42 PM
Okay, I think a second opinion on the test kits might help, and I'd definitely measure some freshly-mixed saltwater.

kissman
02/23/2015, 08:46 PM
API test kits are junk. I woukd take a sample to your LFS see what they say. Buy some good quality test kits. Till then do some water changes to rebalance everything