PDA

View Full Version : open canopy fan needed question?

Remmers
02/23/2015, 05:22 PM
I just set up a 48" 4 bulb t-5 with a dual 250 mh lights, the fan in the fixture is LOUD, and only comes on when the t-5 are on.

The canopy is a open top open back, sump is in the basement and its next to a outside wall. So there isnt a issue of the water getting to hot when I have the mh's on.

Would it be ok to not have the fan thats in the fixture running? It's so loud you can here it from across the room.

I have the option of installing some 6" square computer fans and I will in the near future, but will the light be ok for now with out the built in fan?

Im only going to run the mh's for a few hrs a day

Aslmx
02/23/2015, 06:38 PM
Sounds like that fan is to cool the light and not the tank. I'd be kinda of scared not to run it if it's to cool the fixture.

Remmers
02/24/2015, 08:32 AM
If I add the external fans I should be ok correct?

Vinny Kreyling
02/24/2015, 09:59 AM
Not really - check to see if the fan blades are hitting the housing.

Breadman03
02/24/2015, 10:10 AM
If I add the external fans I should be ok correct?

Maybe, but the fan in the light is probably there to move air within the fixture to keep electrical components properly cooled. If it's that loud, consider upgrading the fan to a quieter one that moves as much or a little more air.

Remmers
02/24/2015, 11:56 AM
The upgraded fan was touching the face of the fixture(side) so i took it out and zip tied it to the mount this way its "tight" but wont wiggle. Sounds almost silent now.

Thanks for the help