PDA

View Full Version : Done treating, now what?

ThisCityIsDead
02/23/2015, 06:05 PM
Okay, so a few weeks ago my tank caught an ich outbreak. The fish were pulled out and QT with copper.
It's time to add them back in.

I have never done this before, first time ever keeping a saltwater tank, so I'm a bit confused on what to do next.

Questions:

I know copper is extremely toxic to inverts and corals, but how do I transfer the fish back into the tank without getting any of the treated water into the display tank? If I use the net, would it still harm the water in the dp tank?

Do I still need to acclimate the fish if I treated with copper? Salinity is roughly the same. Dp is at 1.026 at is at 25...

Thanks in advance.

ThRoewer
02/23/2015, 06:31 PM
First off 6 weeks are not enough to ensure all of the ich is out of your system.
If you want to be sure you need to wait at least 72 days before you put the fish back.
I personally might take the risk but I wouldn't advise it to someone new to saltwater.

More importantly - you should keep the fish for a few weeks under observation without copper to see if the Ich is really gone. Copper, if dosed too low can make the visible signs disappear while still leaving a hidden infection alive. That's why I prefer other treatment options. Hyposalinity or TTM are more reliable and usually also better for the fish.

Deinonych
02/23/2015, 06:39 PM
^^^
What he said.

ThisCityIsDead
02/23/2015, 07:37 PM
First off 6 weeks are not enough to ensure all of the ich is out of your system.

If you want to be sure you need to wait at least 72 days before you put the fish back.

I personally might take the risk but I wouldn't advise it to someone new to saltwater.

More importantly - you should keep the fish for a few weeks under observation without copper to see if the Ich is really gone. Copper, if dosed too low can make the visible signs disappear while still leaving a hidden infection alive. That's why I prefer other treatment options. Hyposalinity or TTM are more reliable and usually also better for the fish.

I think I'll take the risk. I removed the copper. It's been about 1 week and they're fine.

snorvich
02/23/2015, 09:05 PM

This. I would not take the risk.

ThisCityIsDead
02/25/2015, 09:06 PM
Fish are going great. No signs of ich whatsoever. No signs of stress, but the Niger is starting to chase other fish away from its niche... It likes being under the return pipe and near the wavemaker... Other than that, it doesn't try to look around to purposely bite the fish.

Powder blue, doing great. Has not shown any signs of being territorial. It also has not been aggressive towards the other fish. Including the yellow tang.

Coral beauty has decided to pick on the yellow tang today... The tang was just added a few hours ago... So the coral beauty is the only one that's not being very welcoming.

Toby puffer, has not been aggressive towards the inverts. It lets itself get cleaned up but the cleaner shrimp. It's a weird little guy... It lays on top of the Kenya, rocks, and live snails. It looks like a fat bird when it's resting on the Kenya. Haha, but I did see it just now trying to pick at the feather duster...:( just the smaller one. It does not bother the bigger one... Strange.

Clowns, doing great as well. They are yet to host the long tentacle:(. No signs of interest. Picky....

ThisCityIsDead
02/25/2015, 09:06 PM
This. I would not take the risk.

thanks. :)

jbvdhp
02/26/2015, 02:10 PM
Fish are going great. No signs of ich whatsoever. No signs of stress, but the Niger is starting to chase other fish away from its niche... It likes being under the return pipe and near the wavemaker... Other than that, it doesn't try to look around to purposely bite the fish.

Powder blue, doing great. Has not shown any signs of being territorial. It also has not been aggressive towards the other fish. Including the yellow tang.

Coral beauty has decided to pick on the yellow tang today... The tang was just added a few hours ago... So the coral beauty is the only one that's not being very welcoming.

Toby puffer, has not been aggressive towards the inverts. It lets itself get cleaned up but the cleaner shrimp. It's a weird little guy... It lays on top of the Kenya, rocks, and live snails. It looks like a fat bird when it's resting on the Kenya. Haha, but I did see it just now trying to pick at the feather duster...:( just the smaller one. It does not bother the bigger one... Strange.

Clowns, doing great as well. They are yet to host the long tentacle:(. No signs of interest. Picky....

Continually being where the water returns could be a symptom of a disease present too. Flukes, poor water quality, something like that. I hope your fish are ok.