PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas on how to plump BioPellet Reactor to an external skimmer

dodofish
02/23/2015, 09:51 PM
I'm looking to plumb my recirculating Biopellet reactor to my external recirculating skimmer. Any thoughts on the best way to do this? My concern is the feed for the skimmer will be much greater then the output of the BP reactor.

My only thought is to T the feed to the skimmer and add an extension that goes above the water line in the skimmer and connect my output on Biopellet reactor to that. Would that work? Is there a better idea.

TIA!

uncleof6
02/23/2015, 11:05 PM
Yeah there is a better idea. Fore-go the snake oil bio-pellets, and use better biology in the form of a Bucket DSB. Buy once, set up, and leave it alone. Bio-pellets encourage heterotrophic bacteria to out-compete autotrophs (the ones that do the nitrogen cycle,) and will never stop costing you money.

Sorry, however, I am not going to do this to your thread: ;)

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/uncleof6/ThreadDirection.jpg

dodofish
02/24/2015, 09:32 AM
I have a DSB in a refugium already. I like the graphic:)

I'm really looking for anyone that has plumbed something similar to save me from reworking the plumbing multiple times.

uncleof6
02/24/2015, 11:29 AM
I have a DSB in a refugium already. I like the graphic:)

I'm really looking for anyone that has plumbed something similar to save me from reworking the plumbing multiple times.

DSB in an in-sump fuge, is not worth a whole lot. Forward... ;)

dodofish
02/24/2015, 06:22 PM
Bump to see if anyone has done this. Otherwise I will go with the T with input above skimmer water line and see if that works.

It is a reef octopus external skimmer.

Thanks!

rwb500
02/24/2015, 08:14 PM
i would drill and tap a hole in the side of the skimmer and add a small inlet for the extra feed line.

dodofish
02/24/2015, 08:56 PM
Thanks would I just need a uniseal valve for that? I have never drilled an acrylic tube before.

rwb500
02/25/2015, 01:20 AM
no I meant drill it and tap it. tapping is putting threads in a hole so that you could screw in a fitting. also a uniseal is not a valve.

naterealbig
02/27/2015, 07:05 AM
What about drilling and tapping a threaded hole for a jg fitting into the suction line of the recirculating skimmer pump? This way there would actually be a suction on the pellet reactor. I guess it would depend on what the output tubing of the reactor is. I'm assuming a reef dynamics, with 3/8 poly tubing?