PDA

View Full Version : What are the rules of thumb when it comes to skimmers?

NEReef
02/23/2015, 11:15 PM
There are a million and one opinions on here about skimmers. I have read alot of Mojo's skimmer thread but it is mostly people asking for opinions about their choice of skimmers or for recommendations. I was wondering what are the basic rules or guidelines when evaluating skimmers ie air intake, shape, body size, pump etc. Are there any facts about what size body for certain gallon tanks or how much air draw for what size/shape body? I have spent hours comparing skimmers and you can find people who swear for and against almost every type. It would be really helpful to have a sticky or list to reference for you size tank and bioload what the minimum dimensions, and air intake should be to match. Especially considering you cannot trust most manufacturer's statements as to appropriate tank ratings.

kendrid
02/23/2015, 11:24 PM
I have never seen data like you are looking for. I looked at forum reviews for tanks my size and went with a skimmer most people are happy with.

Whatever you choose I would be sure it has a gate valve. I had a cheap yet well reviewed skimmer with a tube that you would twist to adjust it and it was almost impossible to set properly. I now have an Aquamaxx EM200 with a gate valve and adjusting it is simple and accurate.

moondoggy4
02/23/2015, 11:30 PM
I would go by dimensions.

Height

Diameter

Neck diameter

Pump

8'' skimmer 150 gallons and up

6'' skimmer 75 to 120 gallons

4'' skimmer 40 to 75 gallons.

Larger neck for heavy bio load.

Smaller neck for small tanks.

Just my 02 cents hot topic here.

I believe the most important is a properly balance skimmer matched with the bio load.

That's why people ask for my size tank bio load and what type of inhabitants.

wildman926
02/24/2015, 12:08 AM
Moondoggy nailed it. There is a little fudge room. Just expect that if you error on the large side, it will be idle most of the time, and may not remove the doc. If you error on the small side, it may work all the time. It all depends on the bioload.

NEReef
02/24/2015, 01:26 AM
I would go by dimensions.

Height

Diameter

Neck diameter

Pump

8'' skimmer 150 gallons and up

6'' skimmer 75 to 120 gallons

4'' skimmer 40 to 75 gallons.

Larger neck for heavy bio load.

Smaller neck for small tanks.

Just my 02 cents hot topic here.

I believe the most important is a properly balance skimmer matched with the bio load.

That's why people ask for my size tank bio load and what type of inhabitants.

I agree about matching bioload, but it would be helpful to be able to reference tank size and bioload to a specific size. Your list of body size is exactly the type of data I am talking about. If we could match the body size with air draw and configuration it seems like we should be able to "quantify" skimmer ratings truthfully ie MFG says 6" body with 720lph air draw is rated for 240g but in actuality more like 125. I just hate how all MFG make claims but we have no real way to evaluate them other then the experience of people we trust from the forums. Like do cones really work better?? Has anyone verified increased dwell time? Does an 8" skimmer with a pump inside the body perform better then a 6" body with external pump? Does pump location matter because it seems like internal pumps would alter displacement?? I dunno but it sure sucks reading all the claims and looking at numerous skimmers of all different prices and ultimately saying I will buy the most expensive since it should be better.

d2mini
02/24/2015, 09:50 AM
The rule of thumb should be "Call LifeReef and get on his waiting list!" :D

ca1ore
02/24/2015, 10:18 AM
It's funny, but I was always told that dwell time, thus the height of the skimmer, was the key to its efficiency and performance. Yet, the vast majority of 'modern' skimmers seem to have gone short and wide. So while it may well be true, all things being equal, that a wider diameter skimmer offers more 'capacity' I'd have though the more important dimension would be how tall. Suppose the limitation of the stand make taller impractical, so maybe that's why.

shaggss
02/25/2015, 03:45 PM
the rule of thumb should be "call lifereef and get on his waiting list!" :d

+1!!!!

mcgyvr
02/25/2015, 06:53 PM
A waiting list for a skimmer?
really?
IMO thats never good for business.. Hire another employee or something..
Clearly there is money being made there.. Use it to improve/grow.

tkeracer619
02/25/2015, 10:53 PM
Not that I am a fan of his skimmers (various reasons) but would you want yours made by Jeff or the new guy? Jeff's craftsmanship is excellent.

Breadman03
02/25/2015, 11:53 PM
really?

I got a used Lifereef for a steal. My only concern with Jeff's business is that, to my knowledge, he is the only employee. Does he have a succession plan? If so, will that person maintain the same level of quality and service?

The only change I'm looking to make is to add a Swabbie to mine along with using a remote skim locker. I also plan on ordering a body extension just so I can upgrade in the future.

d2mini
02/26/2015, 07:22 AM
really?

Jeff lives by the mantra "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
He's happy doing what he does the way he does it, and people line up to get his products for a reason.
So he has no reason to change.

ca1ore
02/26/2015, 08:47 AM
There are a million and one opinions on here about skimmers. I have read alot of Mojo's skimmer thread but it is mostly people asking for opinions about their choice of skimmers or for recommendations. I was wondering what are the basic rules or guidelines when evaluating skimmers ie air intake, shape, body size, pump etc. Are there any facts about what size body for certain gallon tanks or how much air draw for what size/shape body? I have spent hours comparing skimmers and you can find people who swear for and against almost every type. It would be really helpful to have a sticky or list to reference for you size tank and bioload what the minimum dimensions, and air intake should be to match. Especially considering you cannot trust most manufacturer's statements as to appropriate tank ratings.

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment ....

That you note above in the bold type people advocating for what they use (presumably successfully) suggests that all of these things actually don't make much practical difference and that as long as you follow the manufacturer recommendations generally (maybe x2) you'll be good. I've long held that all of the modern 'advancements' in skimmer design are more marketing than they are performance. Whether cones, bubble plates, recirculating, yada yada .... As long as you have adequate air input and acceptable contact time, you're good.