PDA

View Full Version : Aptaisia problem

Dawn II
02/24/2015, 12:52 PM
They keep multiplying in the tank- I have used Joe's Juice & Aptaisia X, they disappear, and more return. i purchased 5 pistol shrimp last week, and a matted filefish- i don't see any of the aptaisia missing, but, I can't find my peppermints either. I have a yellow tang, a clown who stays in one corner, and the new filefish.

Jerzey
02/24/2015, 01:02 PM
Take the infected LR and blast them with a blow torch!!!

Dawn II
02/24/2015, 02:20 PM
I can't take my whole reef out...

Megistos
02/24/2015, 03:46 PM
Killing off Aiptasia takes several cycles and is never completely done. They move around and there are always some tucked back in your rock that you can't reach or even find. Just keep aggressively nuking them every week or so.

I would suggest an alternative to the commercial killers though, unless you like the expense. Personally I just mix a thick slurry of pickling lime and water - it's more or less the same thing as Joe's Juice but you can make a LOT of it for very little cost.

Dawn II
02/25/2015, 07:03 AM
Thanks- where do I find pickling lime, and what is the ratio to water?

Dmorty217
02/25/2015, 07:35 AM
Buy the file fish that eats them and rehome him when the job is complete

Breadman03
02/25/2015, 08:32 AM

WalMart carries it, as well as Amazon. As little as I like WalMart, it's dirt cheap there and Amazon was...crazy high. Look for Mrs. Wages pickling lime. It will be with the canning supplies.

That said, I have a pair of matted filefish in QT now.

biomek
02/25/2015, 12:46 PM
Buy the file fish that eats them and rehome him when the job is complete

+1 my filefish slayed my aiptasia in less than a month. haven't seen one since.

Dawn II
02/25/2015, 02:10 PM
See my original post. I have a matted filefish.

snorvich
02/25/2015, 02:16 PM

Did you get the green one?

Dawn II
02/25/2015, 03:00 PM
Breadman, how many aptaisias did you have?=

Megistos
02/25/2015, 03:59 PM

As Breadman said, Wal-Mart (or other grocery stores) will probably carry it in canning supplies.

As for ratio, I don't really measure, I just put a little water in a bowl and mix in the lime until I can't get any more to stay in suspension. Use a syringe just like with Joe's Juice.

brett559
02/25/2015, 06:35 PM
I had a terrible aiptasia problem. Maybe a hundred. I bought a Copperband Butterfly and it was gone in maybe a week. Copperbands are tough to get eating once the aiptasia is gone, however. Ours is still plugging alone - he likes mysis but has a tough time competing with other fish in the tank.

gt93pony
02/26/2015, 08:05 AM
I had a terrible aiptasia problem. Maybe a hundred. I bought a Copperband Butterfly and it was gone in maybe a week. Copperbands are tough to get eating once the aiptasia is gone, however. Ours is still plugging alone - he likes mysis but has a tough time competing with other fish in the tank.

Copperbands generally make a huge dent in them.

ca1ore
02/26/2015, 08:38 AM

Although I have never employed a CB for aptasia control, I stopped keeping them many years ago because they simply could not compete with my fish population and either starved or had to be removed. I like Tangs and large Anthias and the CB was just too slow and too meek. Lovely fish, though.

anbosu
02/26/2015, 08:44 AM
Although I have never employed a CB for aptasia control, I stopped keeping them many years ago because they simply could not compete with my fish population and either starved or had to be removed. I like Tangs and large Anthias and the CB was just too slow and too meek. Lovely fish, though.

Mine took care of aiptasia in my tank. It appears to be eating other food since it's healthy looking, although I do not see it eat when I feed the tank typically.

Dmorty217
02/26/2015, 09:41 AM
Did you get the green one?

Why didn't you answer Steve's question, he's only one of the most knowledgable people on here saltwater related...:reading:

Dawn II
02/26/2015, 09:51 AM
Acreichthys tomentosus is the matted filefish and comes in tones of tans and greens- color has nothing to do with eating abilities. My lfs sold me the one they had been using to clean up their tanks.

Dmorty217
02/26/2015, 12:51 PM
Acreichthys tomentosus is the matted filefish and comes in tones of tans and greens- color has nothing to do with eating abilities. My lfs sold me the one they had been using to clean up their tanks.

So then whats the problem, did you think the anems were going to disappear in a weeks time? If they are multiplying like crazy your overfeeding your tank

Dawn II
02/26/2015, 12:52 PM
ok- i have Mrs Wages pickling lime from Walmart. It talks about boiling it, but i guess that's just for pickling when you add sugar. Thanks for the idea!

Dawn II
02/26/2015, 01:01 PM
I don't think I'm overfeeding- I had an auto feeder, stopped it a few weeks ago, and cut way back. I guess I'm impatient.... I do see the filefish nibbling at the rock- but he's still very shy, so hard to see what he's eating.

Dmorty217
02/26/2015, 01:57 PM
I don't think I'm overfeeding- I had an auto feeder, stopped it a few weeks ago, and cut way back. I guess I'm impatient.... I do see the filefish nibbling at the rock- but he's still very shy, so hard to see what he's eating.

When i had a aiptasia problem it was from feeding often, now that i have only have a melanarus the problem has fixed itself. I know the feeling of being impatient but its all a waiting game in this hobby. Some have bought high powered laser pointers to kill anems but the results vary and they can get pretty pricy

snorvich
02/26/2015, 03:34 PM
Why didn't you answer Steve's question, he's only one of the most knowledgable people on here saltwater related...:reading:

I asked the question because I have had differing experiences. The brown mottled one was definitely coral safe but had no interest in aiptasia. The green colored one did eat aiptasia. It may be coincidence, or it may not be. Some copperband butterfly fish eat aiptasia while some do not but the Australian endemic one seems to be more reliable in this regard. Hard to predict the outcome. Just looking for more data in trying to help the OP. Of course a sure fire (not coral safe) way of eliminating them is a racoon butterfly (Red Sea or Indonesian variety).

snorvich
02/26/2015, 04:39 PM
An interesting thread on the subject can be found here. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2042547)

Scubaken
02/26/2015, 07:35 PM
I tried a raccoon, a copper band and 6 peppermint shrimps, my big old fat Emporor ate, or bullied them to death, I have been using lemon juice, it's been great, today I moved the rocks about and lemon juiced anything I thought might have been one.
I'm hoping I'm clean tonight, my fish have put up with a a lot of nonsense from me today.

Breadman03
02/27/2015, 05:44 AM
Breadman, how many aptaisias did you have?=

At least a few dozen. It's hard to tell for sure because I'm reefing out of a stock tank for now because the carpet company messed up our install.

JoelA7
02/28/2015, 01:26 AM
I can only tell you my experience which was successful. Stage one was an order of Bergia Nudibranchs. Most aiptasia were gone. After 6 weeks I added 2 peppermint shrimp. All but the couple in the sump are gone.

swhobbie1
02/28/2015, 07:22 AM

I had two of these .. they change colors ... like camouflage to their environment... they'll be light tan with dark spots then darker green etc. Mine ate LPS so beware...

Does anyone know if that majano wand works on aipstasia ? I also have one in my tank that is at the very back and can't take the rock out to get it. Have had 2 peppermints in there for months now and they don't touch it.

snorvich
02/28/2015, 08:47 AM
Does anyone know if that majano wand works on aipstasia ?

Temporarily but not permanently.