PDA

View Full Version : pestering.

rastamang
02/24/2015, 07:01 PM
i have a 40 gallon breeder with a tobacco basslet in it and today i introduced a six line wrasse in it and its been attacking it. will this eventually stop?

Mcgeezer
02/24/2015, 07:33 PM
Introducing fish that are aggressive to begin with and also of similar size can be a recipe for aggression. Most people typically add the most aggressive fish last so that it cannot assert any dominance nor claim any particular area of the live rock as its own.

Stackemdeep
02/24/2015, 08:10 PM
Sorry to say this but you might want to do some reading regarding the 6 line. They are known to be incredibly aggressive for their size and should be added last if they are added at all.

CStrickland
02/24/2015, 08:22 PM
My basslet is a weenie until he's had enough, then he goes haam, as opposed to being generally aggro. So I guess there's a change the tobacco will put his foot down. Otoh, they are rec'd for a 70g tank, so if he does get fed up it could end bad cause a six line isn't going to back down either.

I wouldn't add anything else until either they sort it out, or you do.

Mcgeezer
02/24/2015, 08:37 PM
Sorry to say this but you might want to do some reading regarding the 6 line. They are known to be incredibly aggressive for their size and should be added last if they are added at all.

My six line was added last for this reason, along with the reasoning noted in my prior comment.

My yellow tang dominated him within 5 seconds of being added...now he is the most docile fish in my tank and a model citizen. Never shown one sign of aggression

They can be hit or miss, but I love mine and he has been very calm. It's important that they see other fish that are larger then them right off the bat so they know their role quickly.

Stackemdeep
02/24/2015, 11:44 PM
Yes there is no cut and dried rule on any fish but 6 lines have a remarkable ability to simply "snap" when they get older and get downright mean. I spent a lot of time researching and reading everything I could on wrasses before I stocked a Yellow Coris and a Melanurus. I turned down one from a friend that had already crossed that line. Glad that you are having success with your 6 line. Not hijacking the thread but have you had that 6 line for a few years yet?