PDA

View Full Version : Questions about 20 Gal Long nano setup

Nickyz
02/25/2015, 12:53 PM
Hi guys getting ready to start setting up my 20 gal long mixed reef setup, just waiting on my substrate so I can get my live rock from the LFS. Just had some quick questions on flow and the adequacy of my setup as this is going to be my first reef tank. Unfortunately there is just no place for my to have any kind of sump right now but I am open to any other suggestions!

20 gal long tank

Aquamaxx HOB XC protein skimmer

Aquaclear 110 modded refugium (planned)

Nanobox Quad lighting with dedicated storm channel

Eheim Jager 125 W

Planning on a 1.5 inch sand bed with Arag-alive Hawaiian Black sand mixed with Tahitian Moon sand

Approx. 25 lbs live rock

I currently have two Hydor Koralia's, one 850 gph and one 600 gph

The AQ 110 claims a flow of 600 gph, and the protein skimmer claims a flow of 600 as well. So I would think that I'm looking at a claimed gph of approx. 2450 gph.

Do you guys think that this level of flow would be too High to keep some soft and SPS corals? Should I swap them for two lower flow models? Also, do you guys recommend me investing in any other form of equipment before starting my cycle and live rock purchase?

Any other tips or advice would help this is my first go at a nano!

Thanks for everything guys

-Nick

syngraves
03/03/2015, 03:51 PM
I used 2 hydor nano powerheads. both were the 425gph i believe. it gave me plenty of flow softies and some LPS. upgraded to one Jaboe wp10 and with its pulsating wave mode it gives what seems like the perfect flow for my take with one of the hydors. my zoas and other soft corals have been growing at a pretty good speed.

thats just my experience with flow. Ive asked the same questions about too much flow and some people say there is not such thing as long as the sand isnt blowing everywhere or irritating the corals.

joshky
03/03/2015, 04:58 PM
I know you're not asking about this, but I would steer clear of the black sand. It absorbs a lot of light (opposed to white sand reflecting it) and it looks really dirty because it shows detritus etc. better. Not to mention it's a coarser granule so it might agitate sand sifting fish and invertebrates.