PDA

View Full Version : The great mushroom die off mystery...


Tempemonkey
02/25/2015, 01:07 PM
I had about 20 purple mushroom corals that an anemone was irritating for about a week. The anemone left them alone for about two days. After the second day I woke up and noticed a red mucus all over them. I immediately thought it was cyanobacteria so I used my trusty Ultra life Red Slime Remover and disconnected my skimmer (that stuff has made my skimmer flood my house more than once…).

I sucked out some of the mucus with a baster and noticed most of my mushrooms were completely dissolved, others had chunks taken out of them, and the rest were popping off the rock very easily. I dissipated the red slimy stuff, I only have about two intact mushrooms still connected to the rock at this point.

I went to bed hoping that the Ultralife would do its job, I woke up this morning and one of the two mushrooms has red slimy stuff all over it and its also back all over the rock and gravel as well. I look at my tank every day so I am quite sure that an entire colony of around 20 mushrooms will be wiped out in a little over three days from something or another.

I’ve looked a lot on the internet and found no similar experiences…
I am not too sure if this is cyanobacteria or perhaps mucus being excreted from the mushroom as a defense mechanism due to a different culprit. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Are my other corals in danger?

Keep in mind that most of the mushrooms seem to have disappeared and others have chunks missing from them. My parameters are excellent, just checked them a few days ago, my tank is almost two years old, But I did add a frag about a week ago from my local aquarium store. I don’t think any creature big enough to do such damage could have hitchhiked on a leather frag without being noticed, the frag is also on the other side of the tank from my mushrooms.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas...

organism
02/26/2015, 02:55 PM
Seems to be like it's less mystery and more your anemone nuking those mushrooms. It's pretty common for how they react after something stings them really hard. It's not cyano, so you may want to turn your skimmer back on so it can clean the dissolved mushrooms out of the water...

Tempemonkey
02/26/2015, 09:21 PM
Seems to be like it's less mystery and more your anemone nuking those mushrooms. It's pretty common for how they react after something stings them really hard. It's not cyano, so you may want to turn your skimmer back on so it can clean the dissolved mushrooms out of the water...

I think, and hope, you are right because everything seems to be fine now that the last "infected" mushroom is gone... Everything else seems to be status quo... I have the skimmer back on too... I am surprised how much damage that anemone can do- will keep that in mind for the future.

organism
02/27/2015, 10:43 AM
I had something similar happen to them when a BTA walked across a mushroom garden, some of them were ok but the others looked a little weird for a day or two then just turned to goo. I tried pulling the rocks they were on out of the tank and in like 90 seconds my whole house smelled like low tide at a clam processing plant.