PDA

View Full Version : 10 years in the life of a clownfish

rhdoug
02/26/2015, 12:04 PM
This is a gold stripe maroon clownfish that I raised. He was born in 2005, but I lost his parents shortly afterwards due to a heater that got broken and electrocuted all of the fish. This is his 10 gallon nano tank (photo from 2012), the only home he has ever know aside from the first few moments of his life in my 58 gallon mixed reef (Studio Reef). Of course there were no corals in the 10 gallon tank when he and his siblings were introduced to it.

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh610/rhdoug/nano%20tank%202012/nanofts024-22-2012_zps859f4e3f.jpg

And since I learned how to put videos into my posts, here is a chronicle of his life up until now. I did upgrade the nano since the photo was taken by covering that hideous filter pipe with a gsp covered structure and replaced the ugly old powerheads (they did work great) with a single mp10. The lighting was also upgraded from power compacts to a Maxpect razor nano.

ztMTJO2EJDk

fearyaks
02/26/2015, 02:09 PM
That's so cool. Thanks very much for sharing!

Mom2jayden
02/26/2015, 02:12 PM
Very nice. I love baby clowns. Was it hard raising the babies,

jbvdhp
02/26/2015, 03:58 PM
Thanks for sharing. Very cool. I had a clown live for 8 years. Was sad when it died! That's a cool video.

rhdoug
02/26/2015, 04:14 PM
Very nice. I love baby clowns. Was it hard raising the babies,
Thanks, you are right they are so cute when they are tiny. And yes, it is a very involved process to raise them. I think I had about 4-5 or maybe more failed attempts before I was able to raise any. The most I ever was able to raise in one batch was around 40 I think.

Thanks for sharing. Very cool. I had a clown live for 8 years. Was sad when it died! That's a cool video.
Good job on keeping one for that long. I have had my current breeding pair of ocellaris for 9 years now. (I have not raised any of their babies, and have no plans to do so.) I will be heartbroken if/when I lose them or the "baby". He still looks like a baby, he is only about 2 inches long at best.

That's so cool. Thanks very much for sharing!
You are welcome!

bezlar
02/26/2015, 04:39 PM
I have a pair of gold stripes that I put in my daughters room 6 months before she was born. We thought it would be nice for her to grow up with tank. So I went out and put two baby gold stripes and one baby hippo tang in it. Turned out tank was to loud and drove me nuts when I would sit and rock my baby. So I tore it down about one year later and threw all three of them in my main display. Well it's 11 years later and still have all three. Clowns lay eggs about every three weeks or so. And I want to throw dory in the street everyday, hippo tangs suck. But I journey on. I think when I lose either of the three I might shed a tear.

rhdoug
02/26/2015, 07:50 PM
Ha! Thanks for sharing that. I've never had a hippo, my tank is too small. Why do they suck? I mean aside from having severe memory problems. I would have thought the clowns would have helped her with that...

bezlar
02/26/2015, 09:22 PM
They are nervous fish and she is mean to everyone. 200 gallons and she owns them all.

rhdoug
02/26/2015, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't like her either. Too bad they (she anyway) are poorly behaved.