PDA

View Full Version : Would using a pink/purple 'colour' bulb hurt coral growth?

serbusfish
02/26/2015, 08:10 PM
I have a 4x T5 fixture and my original plan was to use ATI bulbs. I wanted 2x blues, 1x purple and 1 white. However my fixture (by Juwel) requires custom length bulbs and ATI don't manufacture their bulbs in the size I need, so I have switched to using JBL marine bulbs.

However, Juwel makes what they call a colour bulb which is supposed to enhance reds and blues, I think it is aimed at tropical tanks but the colour spectrum looks fairly similar to the ATI purple bulb. Would it hurt corals if I used this bulb in my set up? Here is the colour chart for the bulb:

http://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/out/pictures/master/product/gallery/detail/4/86524.png

And ATI purple:

http://www.atinorthamerica.com/atiimages/products/bulbs_chart_purpleplus_large.png

serbusfish
02/27/2015, 05:21 AM
Bump.

alexander_ktn
02/27/2015, 07:25 AM
Probably not, but the ATI one has a lot more blue compared to the other one, so you might not like the result.

serbusfish
02/28/2015, 04:16 PM
Probably not, but the ATI one has a lot more blue compared to the other one, so you might not like the result.

Well I will be running 2 blue tubes so maybe these will provide enough blue?

alexander_ktn
02/28/2015, 04:26 PM
I can't say what the result will be like visually - if the bulb isn't too expensive I'd try it. I can't imagine it will hurt the corals and if the colors aren't what you expected you can change it out easily.

serbusfish
03/01/2015, 12:32 PM
I can't say what the result will be like visually - if the bulb isn't too expensive I'd try it. I can't imagine it will hurt the corals and if the colors aren't what you expected you can change it out easily.

I think my dad has an old one that I can test before buying a new one. Im just hoping Corals will benefit, because if not it will be like im running 3 T5's not 4.

alexander_ktn
03/01/2015, 12:51 PM
It might be like 3.5 or 4 T5s, as I said it's hard to tell. Zooxanthellae will be able to use the blue and red peak but the green might be mostly wasted except for the viewer.

It's not like the corals will die instantly from the light - if you aren't happy with growth/color you can always switch to another bulb.