PDA

View Full Version : Hyposalinity

rdnyva
02/27/2015, 04:40 AM
I have decided to use hypo salinity to cure an Ich problem. My question is do I use a skimmer in the QT tank? I'll have 5 fish in a 33 long and I don't think I can keep up with daily water changes to keep it clean, so the skimmer would be a big help.

alexander_ktn
02/27/2015, 05:06 AM
Skimmers are a lot less effective the lower the salinity gets.

The biggest problem for the fish in QT will be ammonia, which a skimmer doesn't do much about anyway, so some biological filter will be more effective.

One effect of the skimmer is good, however, and that is improved aeration - so you can use a skimmer but you will still need some means of biological filtration to get rid of the ammonia (which you should btw monitor frequently in a QT setting).

pyithar
02/27/2015, 06:31 AM
hypo doesn't work on some ich. it didn't work for me even though i set the salinity stable at 1.008. i now use tank transfer method or cupramine.

Dmorty217
02/27/2015, 07:17 AM
hypo doesn't work on some ich. it didn't work for me even though i set the salinity stable at 1.008. i now use tank transfer method or cupramine.

+1 hypo is the least effective and most difficult to use to cure ich

rdnyva
02/27/2015, 08:29 AM
I was going to use Cupramine but didn't want to contaminate the QT. Now I'm rethinking this and could use this tank only for Qt of fish in the future. My biggest concern is keeping 5 fish in 30 gallons of water for 2 months. They are not unusually large fish - 3 inch yellow tang, 4 inch tomini, six line, Royal gramma, flame hawkfish, but those 5 fish without a skimmer for that long worries me. Not to mention the huge task of catching them in the display.

Kyle461
02/27/2015, 09:00 AM
...They are not unusually large fish - 3 inch yellow tang, 4 inch tomini, six line, Royal gramma, flame hawkfish, but those 5 fish without a skimmer for that long worries me. Not to mention the huge task of catching them in the display.

You'll get pounded here for keeping a tang in a 30 g. They'll probably recommend you take it back.

Dmorty217
02/27/2015, 09:09 AM
You'll get pounded here for keeping a tang in a 30 g. They'll probably recommend you take it back.

Not if this is for QT purposes only

Kyle461
02/27/2015, 09:17 AM
Not if this is for QT purposes only

30 g QT. I see. Misunderstanding.