PDA

View Full Version : Firefish and "lid"?

LeRenard
02/27/2015, 08:30 AM
So I brought home my first fist last night and drip acclimated him. He's a red firefish/fire goby. He appears to be doing great, he isn't even hiding and spends his time playing in the flow from my circulation pump. He built himself a little home under my live rock and he slept in there. He's very cute :) The tank parameters look good too!:celeb3:

In reading up on how to take care of him in several places I've read "Make sure you have a tight fitting lid to prevent jumps".

....How do I put a "tight fitting lid" on my tank? And wouldn't that cause gas exchange problems?

I've read the egg crate I have now is probably only slightly better than nothing. Should I go look for some type of screen?

Goldndoodle
02/27/2015, 08:42 AM
I just built screens for my 120G system.

Lowes has DIY screen frame kits ($12 for 4'x4' kit). You cut the kit down to whatever size you need. It includes the frame, one set of corners and the spline. You'll also need a spline roller from Lowes ($3.50). Since I made two 2'x2' screens from the kit, I had to buy a second set of corners ($1.75).

Bulk Reef Supply sells a 1/4"x1/4" clear mesh screen ($12 + s/h).

Probably the best way to let light through, while keeping jumping fish in.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag146/Goldndoodle/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3888_zpszmkvvhel.jpg

gone fishin
02/27/2015, 08:44 AM
Screens are the best IMO. All fish will jump if spooked and some are more prone to jumping than others.

LeRenard
02/27/2015, 08:52 AM
That looks awesome! I wonder if I could bend the frame to fit the bow of the bow front? The other problem is that I don't have a sump, so I have a HOB skimmer and refugium I'll have to work around.. This tank is so awkward

I wish I'd taken care of this sooner but I thought the egg crate was sufficient :/

I'm going to need one for the QT I think, too, but that should be easier since it's rectangular

gone fishin
02/27/2015, 09:00 AM
I have read threads where people have tweaked the frames for a bowfront. I personally have not.

Goldndoodle
02/27/2015, 09:05 AM
I saw a thread here - where someone used a small piece of egg crate for the bow in front, and another small piece for things like HOB filters, wires, etc. in back, making a square / rectangle for the screen to go between.

Corriebh
02/27/2015, 10:13 AM
Our first tank was on the side of a half wall dividing our kitchen area from our living room area. Our goby got scared, found the one small hole we had in the lid, jumped out and landed on me while I was on the couch on the other side of the half wall. He was very lucky I was there and that I didn't freak out and throw him across the room in a panic! I picked him up, put him back in the tank and 7 months and a new tank later he is still around to tell the tale.
My husband rigged a tighter lid. He made a mold that would cover things (for example our first tank had a hanging filter on the back so to make the mold he found a box that was the same size as the filter) After making a template, he put cling wrap over the template and then sprayed several layers of contractor foam on the template until it hardened and then painted it to match the rest of the tank. Since we changed tanks I don't have the lid anymore or pictures, but it did work pretty nice. But it took some time to let the foam dry in between layers. If you do go that route you may want to put a towel or something over the tank in the mean time. We put an air stone in the tank to deal with the fact that the lid was pretty tight and to make sure the tank got oxygen.

I swear I don't know how our goby squeezed throw the gaps in the lid or what scared him. They are great, but goofy, fish.

LeRenard
02/27/2015, 10:25 AM
I saw a thread here - where someone used a small piece of egg crate for the bow in front, and another small piece for things like HOB filters, wires, etc. in back, making a square / rectangle for the screen to go between.

...brilliant! I'll go looking for that thread but I can probably wing it from that. Thanks! I actually have the door/flap from the original hood. I an probably use that for the "bow" part and a strip of egg crate for the back. Hmm.

LeRenard
02/27/2015, 10:27 AM
Our goby got scared, found the one small hole we had in the lid, jumped out and landed on me while I was on the couch on the other side of the half wall.

Whoa! Looks like luck was on his side that day. I hope my little guy stays put until I can get something together.

sadt3arz
02/27/2015, 11:03 AM
Nice!!

I just built screens for my 120G system.

Lowes has DIY screen frame kits ($12 for 4'x4' kit). You cut the kit down to whatever size you need. It includes the frame, one set of corners and the spline. You'll also need a spline roller from Lowes ($3.50). Since I made two 2'x2' screens from the kit, I had to buy a second set of corners ($1.75).

Bulk Reef Supply sells a 1/4"x1/4" clear mesh screen ($12 + s/h).

Probably the best way to let light through, while keeping jumping fish in.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag146/Goldndoodle/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3888_zpszmkvvhel.jpg

Goldndoodle
02/27/2015, 11:43 AM
Nice!!

It gets even better ... I modified the sides with modified anti-shock bushing for the circ pump cables and APEX temp probe cable ...

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag146/Goldndoodle/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3874_zps17q5z4hv.jpg

Goldndoodle
02/27/2015, 11:46 AM
...brilliant! I'll go looking for that thread but I can probably wing it from that. Thanks! I actually have the door/flap from the original hood. I an probably use that for the "bow" part and a strip of egg crate for the back. Hmm.

That would be nice for the bow ... it's the one small thing I don't like about the screens - no feeder door. But the screens are so light, and easy to move it's not a major problem, just would have been nice ...

syngraves
02/27/2015, 02:33 PM
I had a firefish in my tank with no lid. got woken up in the middle of the night when the fish jumped and landed on my face... perks of having my tank next to my bed I suppose. I decided to make a screen lid the next day only to find he had decided to carpet surf while i was at the hardware store getting the screen...