PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

Miked2780
02/28/2015, 12:26 PM
I have recently been given a 75 gallon. I would like to start a reef tank with it. Here is my dilemma...
I live in an apartment right now and my fiance and I plan on buying a house in about a year and a half. I would love to get this tank started ASAP but I can't help thinking about what a hassle it will be to move it when we get our house. Maybe you people who have done this before can talk some sense into me. In your opinion is it worth the trouble or should I just wait? (I'd rather not wait lol) What is the best way of going about moving a tank?

Jeremiah_Conway
02/28/2015, 12:35 PM
Owning a tank will add an extra day to your move but it can certainly be done

billdogg
02/28/2015, 12:40 PM
Moving a tank as small as a 75 really isn't that hard. I say go for it now and learn the ropes. By the time you buy your house, you'll be ready for an upgrade anyway, so you can use the 75 as a killer sump or refugium!

Mcgeezer
02/28/2015, 12:57 PM
As said, it can be done....but it's definitely not worth the hassle, nor the risk to your inhabitants. We all invest time and $$$ into this hobby and I hate when bad things happen to people.

Salty Cracker
02/28/2015, 01:17 PM
I started out with a 50 gallon breeder tank. I knew I was going to move in a year after setting up. My wife bouggt me a 180 gallon for Christmas. The 180 just has water and a couple power heads to keep the seals good until I move. Having the 50 gallon is to learn how to properly keep a tank up in good condition. Once I moved the 180 will be set up and my 50 gallon will become the sump/fuge. from my understanding if you can successfully keep a smaller reef tank, it's easier ( not cheaper ) to upgrade to a bigger tank.

gone fishin
02/28/2015, 01:23 PM
IMO if your buying in the local area then a tank move should not be to much of a PITA. If you can leave the tank till last and get things ready at the new house it should not be two bad. It is all about having a well thought out plan.

hotelbravo
02/28/2015, 01:32 PM
I have recently been given a 75 gallon. I would like to start a reef tank with it. Here is my dilemma...
I live in an apartment right now and my fiance and I plan on buying a house in about a year and a half. I would love to get this tank started ASAP but I can't help thinking about what a hassle it will be to move it when we get our house. Maybe you people who have done this before can talk some sense into me. In your opinion is it worth the trouble or should I just wait? (I'd rather not wait lol) What is the best way of going about moving a tank?

What do you mean you people?

Miked2780
02/28/2015, 02:24 PM
Moving a tank as small as a 75 really isn't that hard. I say go for it now and learn the ropes. By the time you buy your house, you'll be ready for an upgrade anyway, so you can use the 75 as a killer sump or refugium!

Thanks for the input. This was exactly my way of thinking so I'm glad someone else said it!

Miked2780
02/28/2015, 02:32 PM
IMO if your buying in the local area then a tank move should not be to much of a PITA. If you can leave the tank till last and get things ready at the new house it should not be two bad. It is all about having a well thought out plan.

Not exactly sure where yet but it wouldn't be any further than 30 minutes away. so I'm not too worried about the distance or anything. I'm more worried about disrupting a thriving ecosystem and trying to put it back together without any casualties

billdogg
02/28/2015, 03:02 PM
It's really not that big a deal IF - IF you get all your ducks lined up first. I have made 5 moves over the years, with anywhere from a single 55g tank to the last big move, a total water volume of over 400 gallons between 3 systems. Start thinking about what you'll need now and collect it all in one place. Buckets, brute trash cans, pvc pipe and fittings (at least twice as many as you think you'll need), vinyl tubing of various sizes (it's much easier to cut and toss and then use new), extra salt, etc etc etc. If possible, move everything else first, save the tank for last. That way you'll have just one task on that day - moving the system with as little interruption as possible. Have at least one (or more, depending on tank size) buddy to help. NO BEER UNTIL FINISHED!!! And then just do it. It will be a long day, but well worth it. In all my moves, I have never lost a thing, never had any (re) cycle to speak of.

Good Luck!!!

Miked2780
02/28/2015, 04:09 PM
It's really not that big a deal IF - IF you get all your ducks lined up first. I have made 5 moves over the years, with anywhere from a single 55g tank to the last big move, a total water volume of over 400 gallons between 3 systems. Start thinking about what you'll need now and collect it all in one place. Buckets, brute trash cans, pvc pipe and fittings (at least twice as many as you think you'll need), vinyl tubing of various sizes (it's much easier to cut and toss and then use new), extra salt, etc etc etc. If possible, move everything else first, save the tank for last. That way you'll have just one task on that day - moving the system with as little interruption as possible. Have at least one (or more, depending on tank size) buddy to help. NO BEER UNTIL FINISHED!!! And then just do it. It will be a long day, but well worth it. In all my moves, I have never lost a thing, never had any (re) cycle to speak of.

Good Luck!!!

Thanks so much for the advice! It eases my mind. Now I just need to start piecing my equipment together.

anavarchus
02/28/2015, 07:57 PM
We just moved our systems (75 g, 180 g, 90 g) over 900 miles and only lost one small clown from the breeding system. We planned and coordinated for a while and purchased oxygen tanks to use for the bagging (ask your LFS for bags). The main thing to remember is that once the power to the system is shut down and/or the livestock are removed the clock is running. Be sure that you're able to control temperature and light (putting them into a cooler will help). Also remember that fish are hard to catch so you may want to pull out rock a day or so early (put it in a trash can with saltwater & some circulation) and let the dust settle so you can see to catch them. If you keep wrasses, they will hide in your sand and be hard to find, and shrimps/crabs/ snails will hide in the rock along with things like dotty backs/grammas/firefish so just be familiar with your inhabitants and do a head count when you move them!

BlackTip
02/28/2015, 08:53 PM
IMHO, it is not worth the hassle. By the time the tank is established and starts to look nice, you will have to move. Moving is stressful as it is. Adding a reef tank with livestock, will make the move much more stressful. Also, in the new house you may have room for bigger tank.

EvenFurther
02/28/2015, 10:10 PM
If its only 1.5 years I would wait. Not worth it IMO. In that time you can compile the parts you need and take your time planning the set-up.

Vgyoung
02/28/2015, 11:46 PM
How about slowly buying the equipment until that 1 1/2 year comes

mandarin_goby
02/28/2015, 11:53 PM
Just moved my 40b reef and 55 planted tank after a year of being set up the same day we moved everything else - just put everything in buckets and set it up right when we got to the new place with no losses of corals or fish. It can be done!

Also, no guarantees it'll be 1.5 yrs, there might be a delay for some reason (housing market? Who knows?). I say get your feet wet, so to speak, now. I learn more by doing, but that's just me :)

chaos1907
03/01/2015, 02:36 AM
If i were you, start with a tank smaller size instead of 75. Learn the rules. Buy your house. Then setup bigger size of 75 g. I prefer 150 g or more...
And plase don't forget, there is no limit in this hobby...

kmbyrnes
03/01/2015, 08:01 AM
Why lose a year and half when you could be learning how to care for a tank?
Start the 75. Make the mistakes.
The new tank will allow you to correct all the things you would have done differently the first time.

U Ben Fishin
03/01/2015, 10:12 AM
my fiance and I plan on buying a house in about a year and a half.

My dad went to work at a job just temporally! He retired from that job 30 years later! Set the tank up.

Phildirt
03/01/2015, 10:55 AM
Moving is a pain in the *** period. Having a tank in the mix only makes it more fun and interesting. Just set it up and go slow. Plus, doing this will let you know what you want for your next larger tank in your new house. So when you go house shopping you'll be like "hmmmmm, I could put a 180 here or maybe a 240....."