PDA

View Full Version : Maxpect Razor are good enough to grow SPS corals?

frank88
03/01/2015, 11:34 AM
Hello everyone, I would buy this fixture led many of you have used or still use.
But I don't know if there fixture are enough powerful to grow all types of sps corals.

In specific case I want to buy a Maxpect razor 15.000 - 300watt for 48"20"20" tank

what do you think?

AdamNC
03/01/2015, 12:00 PM
It should handle your tank fine. Mine is 18" deep plus the fixture is another 8" on the mounting legs. I have a RBTA on the sand with no issues and sps at various levels in my tank ranging from 2" off the sand bed to less then a foot from the light. Peak levels of the light are at Ch1 65% Ch2 80% for 8 hours a day with gradual ramp up/down.

frank88
03/01/2015, 12:05 PM
It should handle your tank fine. Mine is 18" deep plus the fixture is another 8" on the mounting legs. I have a RBTA on the sand with no issues and sps at various levels in my tank ranging from 2" off the sand bed to less then a foot from the light. Peak levels of the light are at Ch1 65% Ch2 80% for 8 hours a day with gradual ramp up/down.

thanks, I'll start with lps, but then I want to keep sps, so I would buy a fixture that can be powerful with sps too in the future

akela
03/02/2015, 04:36 AM
Not mine, but this guy has no problem keeping sps with Razor http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2356870. I will be setting up my tank with Razors as well, because it will be rimless and no canopy, and these lights look awesome and sleek

frank88
03/02/2015, 05:28 AM
Not mine, but this guy has no problem keeping sps with Razor http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2356870. I will be setting up my tank with Razors as well, because it will be rimless and no canopy, and these lights look awesome and sleek

very impressive

HaroldT
03/02/2015, 09:12 PM
thanks, I'll start with lps, but then I want to keep sps, so I would buy a fixture that can be powerful with sps too in the future

If you want to keep SPS, don't go with LEDs.

Metal Halides are really the BEST option if you are going to want to have real SPS growth.

LEDs pale in comparison.