PDA

View Full Version : Humu Picasso trigger.

ThisCityIsDead
03/01/2015, 12:49 PM
Okay, so I recently added a Humu trigger. It adapted great!:). I already have a Niger trigger in my dt and the two are doing great.

One thing that I am becoming annoyed at is the Humu sifting sand...:/. It spits it out and it makes it snow all over the tank. My sand is very fine, so I'm not sure if that's what is causing the tank to appear cloudy.

Will adding less fine sand to the tank help out? I do not want to add CC as I read this Wouk for sure eliminate this issue.

Suggestions?

humaguy
03/01/2015, 01:07 PM
he is just being a trigger...if you add cc, you will have cc all over but it might not be as big a pita as sugar sand...he may pick up small rocks, pieces of coral, hermits, crabs and swim around the tank with them in his mouth, dropping them where he feels like it...they also like to flip corals...

ThisCityIsDead
03/01/2015, 02:19 PM
he is just being a trigger...if you add cc, you will have cc all over but it might not be as big a pita as sugar sand...he may pick up small rocks, pieces of coral, hermits, crabs and swim around the tank with them in his mouth, dropping them where he feels like it...they also like to flip corals...

Ugh. Well. I guess I should get glue for the small frags.

update: I fed him frozen brine shrimps and so far he is no longer scavenging through the sand.

ThisCityIsDead
03/02/2015, 08:31 PM
He is still spitting out sand. How annoying. :(

sowildpaul
03/03/2015, 10:03 AM
Just curious, why don't you make/upload video of it spitting out?

NTP66
03/03/2015, 11:53 AM
I would abandon any hope of him stopping spitting out sand, that's just what they do. My rectangle spends the entire day doing it, and winds up getting a good amount of it on the lower rock work, including some of my mushrooms.

humaguy
03/03/2015, 12:48 PM
I would abandon any hope of him stopping spitting out sand, that's just what they do. My rectangle spends the entire day doing it, and winds up getting a good amount of it on the lower rock work, including some of my mushrooms.

What Nick said...he is just being a trig and it wont stop but will probably get worse as he grows...the bigger his mouth, the more he can hold and spit out...and the stronger he will be...they can be quite destructive to tanks...

NTP66
03/04/2015, 05:38 AM
On the plus side, I love watching him swim around with snail shells in his mouth just for the hell of it. He piles them all up in a corner of the tank like it's a kill zone.

Kyuss
03/04/2015, 01:21 PM
+1 on a trigger being a trigger.

I had a humu that would pretty much clear out a section of the tank one day, then pick a new dig site the next and pile the substrate everywhere else. The substrate was definitely on the coarser side. He had a rock he'd carry around and drop where he would pile all the substrate, like a marker or something. He was also quite fond of spitting it out at the top of the tank above the snowflake eel he shared the tank with and swim down to watch it bounce off the eels head. Of course that meant a lot of it ended up on the rocks. I soon realized it was no longer my fish tank. Wait til he learns to spit water out of the tank when you approach the tank with food.

humaguy
03/04/2015, 05:53 PM
Wait til he learns to spit water out of the tank when you approach the tank with food.

lol, they are great fish...

if there was any fish I wish I could have a beer with, it would be a trigger, lol though maybe not an undulate..

dom418
03/04/2015, 08:07 PM
I have a 12" blueline and you should see the size of the rocks this guy moves. It's amazing

NTP66
03/05/2015, 12:52 PM
Here's a short video of the average day for my trigger. Skip to about 1:08 for the sand spitting to get an idea of what he does all day. :)

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dqcvqqazdm8?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="853"></iframe>

kkittredge
03/06/2015, 01:16 AM
Here's a short video of the average day for my trigger. Skip to about 1:08 for the sand spitting to get an idea of what he does all day. :)

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dqcvqqazdm8?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="853"></iframe>

Very cool trigger and nice video.

Sapelo
03/06/2015, 06:11 AM
Yep, that's how mine rolls too. If he's having a really "good" day I have to go in and clean off the lower coral and zoas, but I wouldn't trade him, he's a great fish.

Kyuss
03/07/2015, 02:19 PM
lol, they are great fish...

if there was any fish I wish I could have a beer with, it would be a trigger, lol though maybe not an undulate..

Yeah the bar would be trashed with an undulate trigger lol. When I kept one I had to put pvc over the cords for the powerheads in the tank, then he took to just biting the powerhead from time to itme.

Funny enough, as I'm typing this I looked up to see my niger trigger doing some landscaping right now. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the kole tang that follows him everywhere starts doing it - he's already learned about flipping over snails from the trigger.

ThisCityIsDead
03/07/2015, 09:52 PM
My Humu hasn't done it much lately. He probably does it once every 30-45 minutes. My rocks aren't covered in sand. I don't mind him doing it as much because I figured it's helping the sand bed. It was horrible the first three days though... Cloudy tank, sand all over the corals and rocks... And even on some fish.

So far, neither one of my triggers have tried to flip rocks or snails. The ****** does make these weird noises when he comes up to the surface from time to time... I'm thinking spitting water...:|?

ThisCityIsDead
03/07/2015, 09:54 PM
Niger*^ ...:|

sowildpaul
03/08/2015, 12:32 AM

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dqcvqqazdm8?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="853"></iframe>Thanks for the video. You have a beautiful triggerfish. IMO, it does that because it feels bored. LOL

NTP66
03/08/2015, 05:16 AM
You're probably hearing the clicking sound that triggers make. It's crazy how loud it is and how far away from the tank you can hear it. Mine does it often, but after dropping in a bristleworm as a treat (I have HUNDREDS of them just living in my overflow), I could hear him clicking like a madman from the next room over.

sowildpaul
03/08/2015, 04:47 PM
You're probably hearing the clicking sound that triggers make. It's crazy how loud it is and how far away from the tank you can hear it. Mine does it often, but after dropping in a bristleworm as a treat (I have HUNDREDS of them just living in my overflow), I could hear him clicking like a madman from the next room over.It looks like it does that to make its jaw stronger. It's like we exercise to make our body stronger.

I have no idea that it makes a loud noise when it does that (since I am deaf, LOL).